Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > C64 Codebase
2008-06-28 10:55
Frantic

C64 Codebase

Hello!

It was a while ago now that C64 Codebase Wiki opened its doors. I would just like to encourage good coders sympathetic with this project to actually add some code there. This is important in order to keep the quality of the site. I feel that the quality is somehow fading a little with the stuff that has been added during the last 6 months, to generalize a little.

If you are a decent coder: Just think for a moment about all those sources that you have lying around on your C64 disks and PC harddrives. Codebase needs you!

http://codebase64.org/doku.php

If someone feel like donating some cool stuff, I could use that as prices in some kind of add-good-stuff-to-codebase-competition or so.

A good codebase is a good base for the future C64 scene! ;)

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-03 17:36
Cruzer

I agree that there's a need for more explainations, but at least it's a lot better than in the old days where we had to guess how routines worked by using an mc-mon. Source code is usually confusing at first, but a lot can be learned from playing around with it.
2011-05-03 19:49
Frantic

Of course it is better with high quality material (well explained code) than low quality material (cut/pasted code), but I have to agree with some ppl here.. It is still better than nothing at all and I have surely been helped by the mere availability of already written code a number of times, even though the code wasn't that well commented (the very same point that Cruzer made in the previous post).

...but of course, I am keeping an eye on this. If people get too lazy (yes, there may have been some indications in that direction lately) then I will have to do something about it. Yet I doubt that zillions of people would start to write extremely well written in-depth articles just because I kick some lazy guys in the butt for pasting too trashy stuff. :)

So.. while we are at it. What about writing some nice articles a la C= Hacking and publish them on codebase? :) If someone has suggestions on what we can do to motivate people to actually do this, then let me know. (No, I don't have any money. ;)

In fact, at least in a few cases it seems that sucky articles on codebase has trigged people to try to write better ones. Perhaps there is a use of bad information in that sense. ;)

//FTC
2011-05-03 20:11
TWW

Uhm... I've seen cases where some code might be considered... ineffective or maybee even plain wrong. But still I would have reservations towards going in and messing with stuff someone else has signed... Hell I might be wrong, then I'd look like a total ass too 8-D
2011-05-03 20:24
Celtic
Administrator

@Frantic: how about approaching a lot of different great coders and asking them for just 1 subject/article. Nothing more, just 1. It might get you somewhere.
2011-05-03 20:45
Frantic

I've done that already. New/better strategies are needed. :) ...but one could always try again, of course.

Anyway.. Another starting point could be to identify what sort of information people actually want/need most, that they do not feel that they can find on Codebase (or elsewhere) already.
2011-05-04 06:11
Oswald

so, there could be a wanted section on codebase. the problem with that is, that if ppl wanting info, and ppl willing to add articles will find that page :)
2011-05-04 06:52
HCL

Agree with Oswald and others..

Perhaps some kind of rating on the information on codebase would be useful. I sometimes think i should add or improve some article on codebase, but since i don't know if anyone has interest in that particular topic, my inspiration often fails..

If there was the possibility to mark pages with "don't understand this article" or "i need this urgently", "please explain better" or something, then people who has the knowledge about it may find it more urgent to improve the article.
2011-05-04 08:05
Frantic

Some sort of system for rating and commenting on page contents would be nice indeed. I had a look now on available plugins, because one would expect plugins like that to exist. I tried a bunch of plugins now but unfortunately none of them really provided the functionality of rating pages as such. This surprises me since one would think that this would be a commonly requested feature on wikis. It is not necessarily extremely complicated to write your own dokuwiki plugins but I don't have the time to do it right now. If someone else feels that they have the skills required to do something like this, please let me know. In any case, I will think about this a little more, and then see what I can do about it. I agree that some well chosen improvements along those lines could make a huge benefit for the wiki as a whole.

EDIT: Just realized that I can probably use some more general php script for voting, with a little customization, even though there does not seem to be any specific "vote 1–5 for this page" plugin available for dokuwiki.
2011-05-04 11:30
Martin Piper

Doesn't matter if an article is signed, it is a wiki. It is meant to be edited by many people.
2011-05-04 15:39
Oswald

I think a simple article request page would create more activity, than voting. No one will vote, and no one will care.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
Guests online: 148
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)