Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > New life for your underloved datassette unit :D
2021-10-21 02:22
Zibri
Account closed

New life for your underloved datassette unit :D

The first phase of testing just ended.
(Still in the packaging and refining phase)

But I wish to share with you all my latest accomplishment.

You might want to check this out:
https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1450979434916417540
and this:
https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1450979005117644800

The fastest example (11 kilobit/sec) has the same (or better) error rlsilience as "turbo250" but it is 3 times faster.

The slowest one (8 kilobit/sec) has the same error resilience as the standard commodore slow "save", but it is 100 times faster and twice as fast as turbo250.

;)

Notes:

1) faster speeds are possible if the tape is written with a professional equipment or hi-fi with a stabilized speed and virtually no wobbling.

2) if the tape is emulated (tapuino or similar projects) the speed can go up to 34 kilobit/sec.

3) even with datassette, higher speeds are possible but the highly depend on the status of the tape, the datassette speed and azimuth.

... 327 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-11-07 23:15
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Zibri
I am happy to KNOW that every single line (good or bad) of my code was done by me and not a single line was seen or "Inspired" by anything else.
Otherwise, where is the fun in creating?
There's this quote, something with standing on the shoulders of giants. :)

I.e., looking at prior art and building on that to reach new heights, with some fresh ideas and creativity, can be pretty rewarding, too. =)

I don't think this is the right place for a philosophical discussion, but I can agree on that.
And surely I was "inspired" but my own experience in computing and telecommunications.
But believe me if I tell you that before 3 weeks ago I barely used a tape when I was 13.
I didn't know anything about the encoding or anything about even reading a commodore tape (but I knew about the 1541 and magnetic media in general).
I like sometimes to "reinvent the wheel" without previous knowledge and see where it leads me. Then if it fails I can always climb some gian shoulder and look around, but I prefer not to do that when I learn something.
But, surely both way can obtain great results.
What I don't like is when people clinbing a giant's shoulder, won't even cite the name of the giant.
In computing that happened many times (xerox is a "giant" example)
2021-11-07 23:17
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: If that was directed towards me, I can assure you that not a single idea was taken from you (you're not the only one that have been thinking of a 2 bit scheme as I said). I started from scratch on Wednesday, and I hadn't even paid enough attention to see what scheme you were going for.

Just like you, every single line of code is mine. I admit that I did initially ask for tips on a method to use for the timers, though I did not ask for code. Not have I seen any of your tap-files either, so there's no way I could have seen your code.

Also, why did I just release this now, you seem to have asked yourself. Part of the fun when doing something like this to me, is to let others experiment with along the way rather than just babbling on about it. Would I have written this now if it wasn't for you? No, not at this time. But this WAS on my todo-list, so I figured now was a good time as any. You haven't seen the last from me, as I know I screwed up a thing or two in the previous release and I am also trying out other ways. But again, your benchmarks would make much more sense with already packed data.. I hope that you'll add that.

Ok, then. I apologize to YOU. Perhaps we are more alike than I thought. And I would be delighted to share ideas with you and make a perfect one :D

Wanna know one? I don't use timers :D

Question:
can some of you provide me a crunched version of giana sisters disk file "1" (entry point $84F) done with a GOOD cruncher? I don't want to try one then hear there was a better one.. and I never played with crunchers (yet).
2021-11-07 23:59
SLC

Quote: I don't think this is the right place for a philosophical discussion, but I can agree on that.
And surely I was "inspired" but my own experience in computing and telecommunications.
But believe me if I tell you that before 3 weeks ago I barely used a tape when I was 13.
I didn't know anything about the encoding or anything about even reading a commodore tape (but I knew about the 1541 and magnetic media in general).
I like sometimes to "reinvent the wheel" without previous knowledge and see where it leads me. Then if it fails I can always climb some gian shoulder and look around, but I prefer not to do that when I learn something.
But, surely both way can obtain great results.
What I don't like is when people clinbing a giant's shoulder, won't even cite the name of the giant.
In computing that happened many times (xerox is a "giant" example)

Could you for reference just try writing out SIDrip ReLive too? (I am aware it will make less impressive benchmarks for you, but it really would be interesting to see how it performs on real hardware for you)

I'll share mine even if you may not be that interested:

Giana Sisters (same file as you, unpacked) gave me slightly above 8500 bits/s now, written with a U2 and read back on the same C2N. The demo I linked to yielded a little over 6750 bits/s.

Update: Now at 8398 bits/s for the sidrip demo and 10114 bits/s for unpacked Giana Sisters. Still written back with the U2 and successfully read back. :)
2021-11-08 13:55
Neo-Rio
Account closed

Just tried out SLC's unreleased bleeding edge dev version of SlushLoad. Many thanks for letting me test the work in progress.

0x0a speed worked a treat.

I even managed to get speed 0x09 with 4 pulse loader to load perfectly on my equipment but - as expected - it's too unreliable. When I say that I mean that I had one load attempt out of 3 attempts fail. Two out of three ain't bad - as the song goes - but it doesn't give much confidence in that speed and any faster being used for anything but a world record attempt - a bit like overclocking a CPU with liquid nitrogen - a fun test of the extremes, but otherwise impractical for normal use! Especially if the tape is shared between datasettes!
Anyway, there's not much to gain by going too fast. The speed increases are minimal (maybe saving a count revolution on the C2N) at the cost of reliability.

I used Super Mario Bros v1.2 crack by Excess as a test file, given that it's one of the largest compressed single file programs I could think of to use, hence errors are more likely to show up the longer the run-time.

One other thing I did note with this particular test with SMB is that somehow after the crack intro the trainer menu was magically skipped over - which was unexpected. I figured it may have been my fat finger on the space bar skipping it but on retesting, it wasn't. The original Gyrospeed had a similar issue with the keyboard buffer not being cleared until StatMat fixed it in GyroSpeedWin, so there's likely still some gremlins in the pre-next-release Slushload code.
2021-11-08 14:46
tlr

Quoting Zibri

Question:can some of you provide me a crunched version of giana sisters disk file "1" (entry point $84F) done with a GOOD cruncher? I don't want to try one then hear there was a better one.. and I never played with crunchers (yet).

Sure, good starting point for a test suite.
Here's the original 1.prg file + packed by exomizer 3.1.1 using default settings + the SIDrip ReLive binary: tapetestfiles.zip
2021-11-08 14:57
Zibri
Account closed

Another video (or anecdote as some clever guy called it) from Neo-Rio testing my turbo:

https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1457708314083696641

:D
2021-11-08 15:20
chatGPZ

To prevent looking stupid, you might want to read up on what anecdotal evidence actually is, before making fun of it being called what it is :)

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is a factual claim relying only on personal observation, collected in a casual or non-systematic manner.
2021-11-08 15:34
SLC

Quote: Another video (or anecdote as some clever guy called it) from Neo-Rio testing my turbo:

https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1457708314083696641

:D

Quite a bold claim... may I ask who decided, other than you, that your loader is officially the fastest and most reliable turbo loader? :-)

Neo-Rio was pushing similar speeds with mine, and even managed to step it up one more notch, all though not with reliable results.. but I honestly didn't even expect it to work because of some limitations regarding .tap-writing from the U2 (and no, accuracy does not have anything to do with it... it's all about physics and lack of some manipulation!)
2021-11-08 15:49
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Zibri

Question:can some of you provide me a crunched version of giana sisters disk file "1" (entry point $84F) done with a GOOD cruncher? I don't want to try one then hear there was a better one.. and I never played with crunchers (yet).

Sure, good starting point for a test suite.
Here's the original 1.prg file + packed by exomizer 3.1.1 using default settings + the SIDrip ReLive binary: tapetestfiles.zip

Hmm..
Interesting result.
With the exomized giana sisters file (assuming ALL bytes from 0801 to FFF0 were crunched, which I doubt it and I would prefer some of you could "exomize" the file "1" of the disk version of giana sisters which is my reference file)

It took 25(!) seconds less to load. and 7 seconds to decrunch before running.

That makes it 18 seconds faster than the demo you just watched.
(At the same turbo speed)
2021-11-08 15:51
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting SLC

Neo-Rio was pushing similar speeds with mine, and even managed to step it up one more notch, all though not with reliable results..

Neo_rio was able to push my loader to it's limit. The demo video was at speed "6" and he managed to push it to speed "8" and "9".

So what?
Bite me again. :P

Please, stop this fight. Unless you can manage a NEW system, using 2 bits you can AT most, "tune" your program which in the end will be a copy of mine.

As I said: as for the time of my first post/videos/tests, my program was and is the most reliable and fast ever made and I am very satisfied by that.
Obviously, AFTER that, improvements can be made (giant's shoulders apply here) and probably WILL be made.

I am happy if you managed to have "good" results with "your" turbo. And I will be more than happy if someone will improve mine or even make it bite the dust. But unless someone comes with a new and original idea, I doubt that would likely happen anytime soon. (But with the c64 you never know..that's the beauty)
Previous - 1 | ... | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | ... | 34 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fungus/Nostalgia
Guests online: 111
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)