Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > New life for your underloved datassette unit :D
2021-10-21 02:22
Zibri
Account closed

New life for your underloved datassette unit :D

The first phase of testing just ended.
(Still in the packaging and refining phase)

But I wish to share with you all my latest accomplishment.

You might want to check this out:
https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1450979434916417540
and this:
https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1450979005117644800

The fastest example (11 kilobit/sec) has the same (or better) error rlsilience as "turbo250" but it is 3 times faster.

The slowest one (8 kilobit/sec) has the same error resilience as the standard commodore slow "save", but it is 100 times faster and twice as fast as turbo250.

;)

Notes:

1) faster speeds are possible if the tape is written with a professional equipment or hi-fi with a stabilized speed and virtually no wobbling.

2) if the tape is emulated (tapuino or similar projects) the speed can go up to 34 kilobit/sec.

3) even with datassette, higher speeds are possible but the highly depend on the status of the tape, the datassette speed and azimuth.

... 327 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-11-08 15:56
tlr

Quoting Zibri
With the exomized giana sisters file (assuming ALL bytes from 0801 to FFF0 were crunched, which I doubt it and I would prefer some of you could "exomize" the file "1" of the disk version of giana sisters which is my reference file)

gianna_1_084f.prg is the file I exomized. Not sure what the doubt about what was crunched is?

You didn't specify which gianna sisters image to use so I lifted it from The Great Gianna Sisters - Original Hiscores.d64 on your github. If that was an incorrect guess, please point me to the right file.
2021-11-08 15:57
Krill

Quoting Zibri
Hmm..
Interesting result.
With the exomized giana sisters file (assuming ALL bytes from 0801 to FFF0 were crunched, which I doubt it and I would prefer some of you could "exomize" the file "1" of the disk version of giana sisters which is my reference file)

It took 25(!) seconds less to load. and 7 seconds to decrunch before running.

That makes it 18 seconds faster than the demo you just watched.
(At the same turbo speed)
Entirely expected result, see previous posts about compression vs tape.

What makes you doubt it? =)
2021-11-08 16:16
SLC

Quote: Quoting SLC

Neo-Rio was pushing similar speeds with mine, and even managed to step it up one more notch, all though not with reliable results..

Neo_rio was able to push my loader to it's limit. The demo video was at speed "6" and he managed to push it to speed "8" and "9".

So what?
Bite me again. :P

Please, stop this fight. Unless you can manage a NEW system, using 2 bits you can AT most, "tune" your program which in the end will be a copy of mine.

As I said: as for the time of my first post/videos/tests, my program was and is the most reliable and fast ever made and I am very satisfied by that.
Obviously, AFTER that, improvements can be made (giant's shoulders apply here) and probably WILL be made.

I am happy if you managed to have "good" results with "your" turbo. And I will be more than happy if someone will improve mine or even make it bite the dust. But unless someone comes with a new and original idea, I doubt that would likely happen anytime soon. (But with the c64 you never know..that's the beauty)

That tweet was from yesterday, which definitely was after you was made aware of my attempts too... hence my question about the "officially"-claim...

And we already established that we are using different approaches so I'm not sure how you can still claim my program copies yours. Having looked over your bits of information posted here, I also believe I use a small trick that you are not using which can sometimes improve throughput slightly. If I'm not mistaken you're using a fixed pulse/bitpair-scheme.. I go through the data in advance and do a count to see which appears more often and sort accordingly.

Trying to claim I'm influenced directly by your work in any way is just as far fetched to say that you are influenced by Soci who already did this exact same thing as both you and I are doing now several years ago. :)

I can't relate to what your "speeds" are, but if I should guess, what Neo-Rio successfully managed to play back (admittedly a bit unreliable) would be equal to your "speed 8" if I were to guess. The reason it stops there and is unreliable does not have to do with the loader itself, though.
2021-11-08 17:02
Zibri
Account closed

Here is the first test.
It will be tested on real hardware in the evening.
I repeat: I don't expect speed 9 to work unless the datassette is PERFECT. Speed 9 is meant to be used on professionally mastered tapes.
Speed 7 and 8 are more likely to succeed, but yesterday one of my testers succeded at speed 9... so we will see.

https://twitter.com/zibri/status/1457739686219223048

P.S.
The file used is the one provided by TLR
2021-11-08 17:04
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Zibri

gianna_1_084f.prg is the file I exomized. Not sure what the doubt about what was crunched is?

You didn't specify which gianna sisters image to use so I lifted it from The Great Gianna Sisters - Original Hiscores.d64 on your github. If that was an incorrect guess, please point me to the right file.

Oh.. nothing I didn't think you did it now.. I thought you just got it from somewhere.

Oh.. then it's ok...
Perfect.

P.S.
exomizer at first didn't want to work with my loader :D
I had to change the initialization code (before the jump)
The same code that worked with the normal Giana Sisters didn't work with the exomizer code.
I got crazy for an hour but the solution was a single line of assembly code.
Meh.

Note to quit polemics:
I stated that my turbo is the more reliable and fast ever released.
The only way to prove me wrong is to find a proof that something has been done and posted before I did.
And by something I don't mean just a piece of code. I mean a tape or a video showing a test on real hardware.
I would be glad to see it and change my statement.
Otherwise. You know... bite me.
2021-11-08 17:17
Krill

Maybe holding back on yet-unprovable claims until you release actual code would trigger fewer people to jump on you. =)
2021-11-08 17:22
tlr

Quoting Zibri
Oh.. nothing I didn't think you did it now.. I thought you just got it from somewhere.

Oh.. then it's ok...
Perfect.

you're welcome.
2021-11-08 17:22
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: Maybe holding back on yet-unprovable claims until you release actual code would trigger fewer people to jump on you. =)

1) I don't need to release any code.
2) my results are proved by engineers and as you can see random people (NeoRio, Flavioweb are normal users).

Oh and by the way, my turbo has done 34 kilobit on an emulated device (cute32, ultimate2 and vice) can any other (slc?) do the same? (this is off-topic since we are talking about the datassette... just wondering)
2021-11-08 17:36
Krill

Quoting Zibri
1) I don't need to release any code.
Sure. But claiming to be better than anyone else in 40 years, without proof... better be ready to take the heat. Also: Code or not true. :)

Quoting Zibri
2) my results are proved by engineers and as you can see random people (NeoRio, Flavioweb are normal users).
I see no proof of those claims. And engineers or not, their proof would be as good as anyone else's, because a proof is self-sufficient and doesn't need to appeal to authority.

Quoting Zibri
Oh and by the way, my turbo has done 34 kilobit on an emulated device (cute32, ultimate2 and vice) can any other (slc?) do the same? (this is off-topic since we are talking about the datassette... just wondering)
Emulated devices are a lot more forgiving then real hardware, as you will know. Getting more speed out of them is the easy part. :)
2021-11-08 17:44
chatGPZ

I'd still like to know the metrics used for reliability, so we can apply them to other loaders and then compare.
Previous - 1 | ... | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | ... | 34 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fungus/Nostalgia
Guests online: 128
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)