Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 117 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2003-10-31 10:43
Turtle
Account closed

Don't become trapped in endless discussions. Keep it simple and see how it works.

BTW: All real scene interested people know every release (at least those posted on c64.sk!) and shouldn't be too exhausted after watching them again. You know, it's not the 90's with tons of releases not worth looking at.
2003-10-31 11:05
CreaMD

Especially when all download links will be provided.

2003-10-31 15:24
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Attention: loosing the thread is imminent!!

Speak for yourself, i lost the plot years ago!
2003-10-31 15:33
TDJ

Quote: Speak for yourself, i lost the plot years ago!

Cool, next step: your virginity.
2003-10-31 19:35
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: Cool, next step: your virginity.

Ooh, cheap shot darling... =-)
2004-02-10 17:52
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I have released the following blurb;
For the first time, the C64 community has a chance to select a C64 Demo that is worthy for the ultimate recognition: Demo of the Year. Come up on and vote for the C64 Demo of the 2003 Year! Check out the voting chart at:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/demooftheyear/

Enjoy.

Replies, comments, criticism, etc. are encouraged here in this forum. :) For what it's worth, the voting chart is 11 demos too long. I liked to have a nice figure of 10 demos for the voting chart, but there were a lot of competitions running around during 2003 year. Goes to show there's plenty of activity running in the C64 demoscene!

Also, I wanted to include a wildcard demo entry, but I decided against it, due to the amount of the demos already on the voting chart. My wildcard entry was intended to allow a NTSC demo to 'sneak' into the voting chart. But, there wasn't really a noteworthy NTSC release during 2003. There were two noteworthy C64 demos that could have landed on the voting chart via the wildcard route, though. They are 'Singles Collection, Vol. 2' by Cosine and 'Phases' by Crest.

Looking forward to continued discussions here. More importantly, I look forward to the final voting tally and announcing the C64 Demo of the 2003 Year here!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-13 06:44
Dwangi

Ok nice idea but hey...

01010101 (or whatever the name is) by creators (?) .. i dont know , but i cant find it anywhere, the same goes for that demo by TRSI from willowparty.... are they really released or is it just me who is stupid as always??

i dont think you should include 4k:s in that chart... bigbud - yes i coded it, but seriously there were atleast 3 4k:s at breakpoint which make bigbud look like a pile of shit from richard bayliss pants. So as coder of it i say "remove it".

sorry 4 bad english .... but hope you understand.

2004-02-15 04:34
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello, Dwangi-

I have removed Bigbud from the 2003 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart. It did not receive any votes.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-15 14:53
Ninja

Please remove also "True Story about Knoops". It was just a fun production...
2004-02-15 15:58
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: Please remove also "True Story about Knoops". It was just a fun production...

Hello, Ninja/The Dreams-

Your demo has three votes logged, so I'm not removing it.

Secondly, with 100 votes I'm hoping to garner, this is a fun exercise. It is by no means definitive. Why did you enter it in a compo? You wanted your demo creation to compete with other demos, before a captive audience. Otherwise, it could have been a straight release on the Internet. Why not have your demo undergo a second type of competition, this time, for a Demo of the Year?

Also, having this kind of exposure gives your demo a second wind of getting more of an audience towards your demo creation. Obviously, three people thought enough of your production to vote for it. Not bad for what you call a 'fun production'. I think it is very nice to have C64 demos the chance of garnering additional recognition via avenues such as this Demo of the Year endeavor.

I realize the voting chart isn't perfect. 47 people have participated so far, and some demos have not even had any votes. Dwangi felt his demo wasn't 'worthy' and it did not get a vote. I disagree with Dwangi, as he did enter a C64 demo competition and subjected his C64 demo to rigor of competition and won. However, I will defer to his wishes as an author and since it had no votes, it was easier to remove it.

Hopefully with this small and fun exercise as a beginning, the C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart can only get better as the years progresses. Or fall with a thud. I can only hope that this voting endeavor will become a strong tradition within the C64 demo production industry, hotly contested through local parties and on the Internet. We'll see when the results come out on April Fools' Day. :)

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
Alakran_64
Airwolf/F4CG
Guests online: 141
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)