Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > photos of computer setups
2009-07-05 14:23
goto80

photos of computer setups

I have started collecting photos of "8-bit" computer set ups. I think it is fascinating to see the places where all kinds of computer magic happens/happened. I am mostly interested in home settings - rooms from any time and any place. Demoscene relation is good but not necessary, hi-res photos are preferred (with credits), informative texts and and stories is excellent.

Possibly, this is something that would be published aswell.
With a collection like this it is possible to see what was behind all those screen, to contextualize digital works with a physical place. Postdigital, as the theorists say. We wanna see your data office!

Spread the word! If you are interested, or just have some links and input, please post here or e-mail info@goto80.com. Or bring them to LCP! :) Thanks!

... 241 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-07-10 16:14
Archmage

Cool thread! Here are pictures of my current (2008-) setups.

The SX-64 with the 1541U next to my PC. Mainly used for disk transfers as well as checking my WIP on the real thing using a custom made (i.e. idiot proof) tool that GRG was kind enough to code for me. The 1541 is a leftover from my cable transfering days.

-

On the outside: boring IKEA closet. On the inside: 8-bit heaven! This is a relationship-friendly solution to my soft-/hardware addiction. Our apartment is quite small, so I try to limit my collection to the closet. Due to family expansion, however, we need to move house. Secretly I see this as an opportunity to install another closet. ;)

2009-07-10 16:20
Angel of Death

CRAP!!!
This is the second time this happens!
I write this huge post explaining the pictures and when I press the submit button it doesn't submit.
I'm very sorry i'm not typing it again.
If you are really curious let me know and we'll let you know...
2009-07-10 16:46
Frantic

Dunno why it happens, but try writing it first, and then copy paste it, so you don't loose it when trying to submit? I *would* like to know. :)
2009-07-10 17:28
Wile Coyote
Account closed

Left: My current set up. Right: In the same room, the rest of the set up. I have other hardware, but the hard is not set up at the present time.

Have to admit, these days, the Commodore 64 is used more like a VCR, a device to watch something on, for that authentic experience. My Commodore 64 is quite unstable, and prone to crashing, so the idea of creating graphics on it, is too risky.
2009-07-10 19:20
r242

A part of my equipment 2 years ago.
2009-07-10 21:45
WVL

Quote: Cool thread! Here are pictures of my current (2008-) setups.

The SX-64 with the 1541U next to my PC. Mainly used for disk transfers as well as checking my WIP on the real thing using a custom made (i.e. idiot proof) tool that GRG was kind enough to code for me. The 1541 is a leftover from my cable transfering days.

-

On the outside: boring IKEA closet. On the inside: 8-bit heaven! This is a relationship-friendly solution to my soft-/hardware addiction. Our apartment is quite small, so I try to limit my collection to the closet. Due to family expansion, however, we need to move house. Secretly I see this as an opportunity to install another closet. ;)

Looool! I recognize that award ;D
2009-07-11 10:26
goto80

@angel of death: we are quite interested! try again :)

@archmage: great stuff :!) i did the closet trick aswell back in the days. is it possible to take photos that show even more of the surroundings/room? (closet)

@riner242: do you have photos of the setup you use instead of your collection?
2009-07-11 15:40
Angel of Death

@Frantic and Goto 80
Very well. Here goes again...

First picture. All our stuff together in our parents house.
- AMIGA 2000 with some external drive stuff.
- Amigis sound sampler for AMIGA.
- heavily modded c64 (not visible on the far left on a table perpendicular to this set-up)
- 1541 and 1571 diskdrives
- Teletron 1200 modem
- Commodore 1084 s Monitor with c64 and AMIGA connected.
- cheap 8 channel mixer bought in sale
- quite expensive Sony headphones
- KORG M1 synthesizer
- AKAI S1000 sound sampler
- KORG Wavestation AD synthesizer
- TEAC 2x 10 channel graphic equaliser
- cheap TANDY output power meter
- Luxman c303 pre-amplifier and m303 Power Amplifier
- AKAI integrated Amplifier used only as pre-amp for switching sources from and to samplers and power output
- JVC DAT recorder
- SONY DAT recorder
- 2x AKAI compact-cassette decks
- Philips Matchline video recorder. (which we actually used for audiophile recordings before we had DAT)
- Philips CD630 CD player.
- Technics SL 1210 mk II turntable
- not visible on this picture: a pair of TDL Electronics Super Compact studio monitors

The idea behind this set-up is the Beast his obsession with being able to use everything at anytime in any combination possible. So basically it was a nightmare of cables and switches of he was the only one who knew how to work it.

Later when we both left our parental house we split up the stuff and the second picture shows the Beast his studio as it was last year.
Basically on the right side it shows all the retro-stuff. (Amiga 500 and a 1500 his old '64 died by then and I gave him a c64c)
Also worth mentioning is the ancient ARP Odyssee analog synth sitting on top.
On the far left side (not visible behind the Beast) is all the amp and recording stuff. Looking right from there is still the AMIGA 2000 and a PC.
In the 19' rack in the middle are the S1000 sampler, the KORG Wavestation, a ROLAND m240 line-mixer and a completely useless fully MIDI-controllable Parametric EQ.
But again it is all build-up with the idea that everything has to be available at anytime in all combinations.

Somehow I don't have any OK pictures of my set-ups online. (mainly because somehow I never take photos of anything. and certainly not before digital cameras :)
Nowadays we mostly use REASON. But the Beast and I agree that the soundquality of a decent instrument-mixer-recordingmedia combination sounds infinitely better and is a lot more fun than any workstation suite on PC.

But the Beast completely redid the attic so everything has been moved and changed again and will take some time to finish...

I hope this satisfies your curiosity a bit.
If you want to know any more, just ask me.
2009-07-11 15:40
Angel of Death

Yeah! it worked!

Sorry useless post :))
2009-07-11 16:10
Frantic

Angel: Hehe.. nice typing there! Must have taken a while to write. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 26 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
Fungus/Nostalgia
Airwolf/F4CG
Exploding Fi../Techn..
Quetzal/Chrome
csabanw