Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > C64 Codebase
2008-06-28 10:55
Frantic

C64 Codebase

Hello!

It was a while ago now that C64 Codebase Wiki opened its doors. I would just like to encourage good coders sympathetic with this project to actually add some code there. This is important in order to keep the quality of the site. I feel that the quality is somehow fading a little with the stuff that has been added during the last 6 months, to generalize a little.

If you are a decent coder: Just think for a moment about all those sources that you have lying around on your C64 disks and PC harddrives. Codebase needs you!

http://codebase64.org/doku.php

If someone feel like donating some cool stuff, I could use that as prices in some kind of add-good-stuff-to-codebase-competition or so.

A good codebase is a good base for the future C64 scene! ;)

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-01-06 16:03
Frantic

@Oswald/Mace: I still find the division between VIC/Demo/Game rather arbitrary. Whether the "advanced stuff" should go into a VIC section or a Demo section is not clear to me. Also... Inevitably, stuff like "sprite code" would consist in both simple and gradually more advanced stuff.

I think... What is needed is not only a structure (list of examples on what goes where), but also clear (and short) explanations that explain to the users where to put what kind of content in a clear way.

But... Yeah... I'll have a look. I also need to upgrade the dokuwiki distribution on the server, which means I have some stuff to do with it anyway. I hope nothing will break... :) (There are backups, yes..)
2009-01-06 16:26
Oswald

you could also argue that crunchers/math/algorithms should belong to the demo section because demos use crunchers/math/algos etc... there's no perfect solution but some rough lines has to be drawn.
2009-01-06 16:58
Frantic

Yep.. I couldn't agree more. Structure is needed. (I did find the demo/vic distinction particularly blurred though).
2009-01-06 22:29
Frantic

Okay.. Now I have spent the evening trying to do something about the structure on the codebase site, as well as updating to the latest dokuwiki version on the server. (That was very boring and I hate you all. ;)

I am still kinda confused myself about the distinction between "vic" and "demo" coding, but please, those of you who care; have a look and tell me what you think about the structure as it is now. I am very much open to any suggestions that you may have on how to improve things.

The VIC section itself is still rather messy. I am very happy for any attempts or suggestions on how to best clean this up. I am rather busy in these days... :)

Greetings to Jucke!
2009-01-07 01:23
chatGPZ

its worse than ever, imho. a seperate section for simple routines is very annoying, those should be at the same place were the articles are. i have tried to click my way to the sideborder routine i submitted a while ago and couldnt even find it (WTF) and then gave up.

there are already too many cathegories, and structure is nested too deep, imho. better have a decent portal page or two. if you cant reach the document you want by at most 3 clicks, then the interface sucks =)
2009-01-07 02:56
The Shadow

I agree, Codebase is a great concept and it needs a major makeover. It needs a new look.
2009-01-07 06:29
Mace

Ok, I've taken a quick glance and here's my comment:

1) GET RID OF CONTENT ON THE PORTAL PAGE
- no extensive description of what a category is about (like 'custom graphics mode' has)
- no "FLI pictures can have all of the 16 colors in one char position." descriptions
- no 3 varieties of FLI routines linked in the main content listing
- no source references (article taken from...), only author (or not even that, it can be in the article itself)

2) ORDER LISTINGS
- TOC on every page
- items with contents on the top, red (unfilled) items at the bottom
- similar way (typography) of describing (not item_like_this and Item Like This; pick a style)

3) DIFFERENT HIERARCHY
- Introductive material higher in menu that VIC programming
- Difficult code lower than easy code
2009-01-07 11:34
Oswald

Quote: its worse than ever, imho. a seperate section for simple routines is very annoying, those should be at the same place were the articles are. i have tried to click my way to the sideborder routine i submitted a while ago and couldnt even find it (WTF) and then gave up.

there are already too many cathegories, and structure is nested too deep, imho. better have a decent portal page or two. if you cant reach the document you want by at most 3 clicks, then the interface sucks =)

i dont know but.... it's a wiki you know. its pointless to dump here how you think it should be ..
2009-01-07 12:24
Ervin

<off - sorry, I couldn't miss it>
Quote:
-cycle table from graham's page

I bet not this one :)
http://www.grahamscycles.co.uk
<on>
2009-01-07 12:31
Frantic

What about doing like this:

Like GPZ says, make the structure a lot more flat instead of hierarchical. Reducing the categories in the sideborder instead, and making only one section for VIC/Demo/Game.

...and, at the same time, do a bit like Mace says, by reducing content on the listing pages, so they become more compact (and thus more comprehensible anyway, even if the listings themselves (on a single page) will be a bit longer).

What do you think? (I also get the impression that you people are mainly commenting on the VIC/Demo stuff, which is all good, but what about the other sections on the wiki? Personally I think they work quite OK.)

Then again, in case the problems are with Dokuwiki itself, one could always consider migrating into another wiki system. However, I also think that people will always have different opinions on all kinds of things, so I am not really sure that would solve anything fundamentally anyway.

And some more specific replies:

@Mace: Just two questions... There is a table of contents on every page, generated by dokuwiki? (Not in case there is only one heading in the page, but..) Also, where is the "blah_blah_blah" naming you are talking about? Please point me to it so I can see what you mean. About the comment: "- no 3 varieties of FLI routines linked in the main content listing". What you suggest instead is to collect them on a "FLI page" and link to that instead, or what? (In many cases it becomes rather messy to do things like that I think, since it stops working as soon as an article involves doing a demo effect with FLI, and thus fits in several categories. This is what I tried to do with all contents related to sprite coding now, but... I think it failed..)

@Gpz: Yes... Your border routine was in the "sprite" section. I agree that this kind of problem is quite annoying. Of course, you can always just search for "Groepaz" in the search box or so, but of course the navigation fails if you cannot even find an article that you know is there.

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
Wayne/Art Ravers
Guests online: 149
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)
2 13:37  (9.7)