Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > HVSC update?
2006-12-28 13:58
Bamu®
Account closed

HVSC update?

@steppe

Shrug, no HVSC update this year? :_(

... 40 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-01-05 15:31
Devia

hmm.. on second thought: NTFS only supports Hard Links.
It's so called Junctions can only link to directories.
I don't know if you can make relative symlinks on FFS so it'd probably only work with *nix.
But all that linking stuff isn't the best solution anyway. We need a REAL database ;-)
2007-01-05 16:40
chatGPZ

and elephants!
2007-01-05 17:54
T.M.R
Account closed

Any chance of the directories renamed so they feature the musician's handle as well as their name perhaps? i can never Hayes/Euratom's real name (for example) so having Mueller_Markus_(Hayes) or something similar to that would be nice...? (Not exactly a random example, went through the root three times! =-)
2007-01-05 19:04
CreaMD

TMR, you mean something like Antti Mäkynen (Monk) ? ;-)))) that would for sure make him "happy" ;-).
2007-01-05 19:15
T.M.R
Account closed

What a terrible example... =-)
2007-01-05 22:08
Wisdom

The new structure is what it should have been like since the beginning. I completely support it with some exceptions:

My personal opinion about music labels is that you can skip them and just list all the musicians flatly. I always browse through musician names and not through music labels and probably most of the crowd do it in the same way.

There is also this "depth" problem when it comes to music labels: Where will you locate Jeroen Tel? Under MUSICIANS/T/Tel_Jeroen or under something like MUSICIANS/M/MoN/Tel_Jeroen? Same goes for Deenen, DRAX, Laxity, Bjerregaard. Needless to say; these are all top composers that cannot be sacrificed because of directory depth.

Another problem with music labels is that one composer might have been a member of more than one music label (DRAX comes to mind as a prime example.)

Cooperative tunes can be placed in the most participating composer's directory. I admit that most of the time it will not be possible to determine whoever is "the most participating" one. In those cases, there may be a silly rule such as "put it in alpabetical order", "put it into the one who has got more tunes" or simply "put it into the better known one".
2007-01-05 22:21
Yodelking

Quote: Any chance of the directories renamed so they feature the musician's handle as well as their name perhaps? i can never Hayes/Euratom's real name (for example) so having Mueller_Markus_(Hayes) or something similar to that would be nice...? (Not exactly a random example, went through the root three times! =-)

When it comes to Hayes, just write me and ask, I will know for sure... :) He's one of my favourites. ;)

We've tried to name the dirs what the composers was known from, either real name or handle.
Then when composers had several handles, like: Hayes, Superbrain, Sidbusters, it makes it hard...
Someone might want to find Superbrain, while you want to find Hayes...

As a side note, you'll get 8 new Markus Müller tunes on the next HVSC update. :)
2007-01-05 22:24
Yodelking

Quote: The new structure is what it should have been like since the beginning. I completely support it with some exceptions:

My personal opinion about music labels is that you can skip them and just list all the musicians flatly. I always browse through musician names and not through music labels and probably most of the crowd do it in the same way.

There is also this "depth" problem when it comes to music labels: Where will you locate Jeroen Tel? Under MUSICIANS/T/Tel_Jeroen or under something like MUSICIANS/M/MoN/Tel_Jeroen? Same goes for Deenen, DRAX, Laxity, Bjerregaard. Needless to say; these are all top composers that cannot be sacrificed because of directory depth.

Another problem with music labels is that one composer might have been a member of more than one music label (DRAX comes to mind as a prime example.)

Cooperative tunes can be placed in the most participating composer's directory. I admit that most of the time it will not be possible to determine whoever is "the most participating" one. In those cases, there may be a silly rule such as "put it in alpabetical order", "put it into the one who has got more tunes" or simply "put it into the better known one".

Sorting up the
/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/
and
/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Worktunes/

Would be be a nightmare, so many co-ops... sigh. :)

A database layout where you would see all tunes from a composers, including all co-ops he did would be really nice.

2007-01-05 23:06
Steppe

@Wisdom: When it comes to groups/single musicians directories, everything stays like in the current HVSC. So there will be no MoN directory, but we didn't dare to dissolve FAME or Blues_Muz either. So there will be nothing new on that level.

@TMR: You have heard about that glorious tool called Sidbace32? It's exactly what I'm asking for, only with a bit stripped down functionality. But it does what it should, provide a database driven offline search.
http://gnetools.sourceforge.net/sidbace/

Also, when in desperate need for a tune, but only remember the handle (which you can't find as directory name), just go to the numerous sid search engines.
www.c64.org/sidfind is a good one.
2007-01-23 12:35
Bamu®
Account closed

Then, the next update comes anno 2008??? ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
insane/Rabenauge
Stryyker/Tide
Airwolf/F4CG
Guests online: 139
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.7)