Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 117 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2004-02-15 16:57
hollowman

if you want to give demos a second chance to
have an audience, why only include demos
from compos, they most probably already had
an audience?
my favoruite from 2003 was the set up/triad,
but it wasnt in a competition, candy/triad
would be my second choise as demo of the year,
it was in the christmas competition but isnt
included here.
next time i'd like a demo of the year voting
where you get to vote for the demos released
during the year, not demo of the year-which
was released in a compo-and achieved a decent
place
2004-02-15 17:07
CreaMD

Quote: if you want to give demos a second chance to
have an audience, why only include demos
from compos, they most probably already had
an audience?
my favoruite from 2003 was the set up/triad,
but it wasnt in a competition, candy/triad
would be my second choise as demo of the year,
it was in the christmas competition but isnt
included here.
next time i'd like a demo of the year voting
place

"next time i'd like a demo of the year voting
place"

Yes me too. putting only 1st placers is not a good idea.
2004-02-15 20:58
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Thank you for your feedback! Out of curiosity, I tried the Advanced search functions of CSDb and it is quite impressive. Here's what I did;

You searched for:
Releases matching:
Released between: 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2003
Release type: C64 Demo, C64 One-File Demo, C64 Intro, C64 4K Intro, C64 Cracktro, C64 Dentro, C128 Release, SuperCPU Release

Found: 116 matches.

So, approximately 110-120 C64 Demos were released during the 2003 year. Strangely enough, Set-Up by Triad wasn't in the list?

Anyway, I think it is a little bit unrealistic to put all 120 demos onto a Voting Chart. It's like a purebreed dog show; the Westminister Kennel Club just finished their national show a few days ago. Thousands of dogs have entered the competition, but they did so in local and regional competitions. In turn, many show-quality purebreeds were eliminated, leaving only truly the top show stoppers strutting their stuff in Westminister.

In a way, the same rationale applies; there are numerous C64 demos released throughout the year. Many of them have entered competitions and that is very admirable! In turn, many C64 demo endeavors were eliminated, leaving only a tiny sliver of geniune quality C64 demos. In this case, 21 C64 demos were still standing, a mere 17% of the total of 120 C64 demos released in 2003. It is then that these 21 (now, 20) demos have a chance to truly measure against themselves for the top recognition of being the 2003 C64 demo of the year.

I know about the 2003 XMas C64 Demo competition, but the winner hasn't been announced yet? If so, I would have added the winning entry to the voting chart.

Secondly, by somewhat recognizing the important role that local C64 demo competitions play a part in encouraging C64 demo creations, I think it's good to allow the compo winners a spot on the voting chart. That's the theory, and I'm sticking to it. :)

However, in actual practice so far, that really hasn't panned out. Several C64 demo competition 'winners' have not have had any votes recorded in their favor. Also, some decent C64 demo productions were released outright on the Internet and they were not included in the voting chart.

Perhaps a small panel, say, five people, could be a review board for creating the voting chart for 2004 C64 Demo of the Year. I did briefly explore the possibility of empaneling a few people for this 2003 voting chart, but I only received lukewarm responses and I felt I didn't have enough time to work with other people in hashing out a suitable 2003 C64 Demo of the Year chart.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2004-02-15 21:55
Puterman
Account closed

Eyeth: the fact that you can't find a demo doesn't mean it wasn't released, right?

I don't mind some kind of pre-selection, but please admit that the way it was done this time sucks. I don't know about the Westminister Kennel Club, but I kind of suspect that the judges in those compos have some kind of knowledge about dogs. If they were demo judges, they wouldn't have let Pero by Singular reach the finals, because the fact that a small one-part demo put together for fun in a couple of hours at a party happens to be the only one released doesn't automatically make it one of the 20 best demos of the year.
2004-02-16 06:18
Dwangi

eyeth: thank you.... yes bigbud won , but in a 4K compo, it would not have had a chanse in a normal demo compo, thats why i wanted it removed...

anyway the pre-selection is quite good anyway, but yes "set-up" and "candy" from triad and maybe we/lazer should have been there.

O.k i voted like this 1.chillot 2.loaded 3.fallout
2004-04-05 02:05
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

The C64 Demo of the Year 2003 Voting Chart is essentially over. Ironically, 64 people participated, making for a good turnout. Since I did not get 100 votes, the voting chart isn't definitive answer as to what is the 2003 C64 Demo of the Year.

Unfortunately, 14 participants 'abstained' from voting. An additional person only voted for 1st and 2nd place, but not 3rd place. Here is your second opportunity! Please check out the Voting Chart and vote for the C64 Demo of the Year 2003.

As it stands now, Industrial Breakdown and Loaded are within 10 points of each other for 1st place. (No, I won't tell yet who's in first!) There is a tie for 3rd place, shared by Emanation Machine and Fallout. Come on abstainers and vote! Break up the logjam at 3rd place and see if there can be any heat for the 1st place!

The rogue's gallery :) of abstainers are:
Bert/RDS
Cyberbrain
Dalezy
Derision
Graham
Icon
Map
Alias Medron
Randall
Raven
Shokray
Vai
xIII
Slator (Voted for 1st & 2nd, but not 3rd)

I hope to report back in a few days, hopefully tabulating more voting activity and announcing a final winning slate of 1st, 2nd and 3rd winning C64 demo entries!

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2004-04-05 14:37
blackdroid
Account closed

The demo (insomnia) with most votes on csdb has 68 votes, now to be fair you cant really expect much more for the poll, or ? :)
2004-04-05 15:51
CyberBrain
Administrator

ok, now i voted too. This means i can go back to boozing?
2004-04-05 16:53
blackdroid
Account closed

No we need you for this "movie" production.
2004-04-05 19:35
CyberBrain
Administrator

I like the sound of that.. Guess i can stop drinking for a few hours just to be in that "movie"
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
Hypnosis/TSD
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Scooby/G★P/Light
Mason/Unicess
MCM/ONSLAUGHT