Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Candyman
2006-11-15 21:35
The Shark-INC
Account closed

Candyman

Hi All,

I was sad to learn today from CSDb that Candyman (aka Dave) has passed away. I thought I would give a little more info about him. Candyman's profile notes that he was a real-life candy man. I do not think he filled vending machines, however. He told me that he owned a candy business where they distributed a box of candy to various businesses and offices. You would then put money in a slot in the box and take candy on an honor system. This is common in the USA, although vending machines are common as well. He told me that if ever he was ripped off, he simply would no longer bring candy to that office. I imagine he had a partnership with the secretaries as well to watch over his candy and money.

Dave was pioneer too. He started what I believe was the first USA scene magazine named Influx and then later used his wealth to order originals with overnight mail to get a leg up on the competition. This worked extremely well on the PC scene with his newly formed group The Humble Guys (THG) and had some light USA crack success on the C64 with FBR and Intense. His sense of humor regarding his "local lamers" was legendary, and could also be seen how he ran THG. He proudly treated his locals like peasants, but allowed them to work their way up in rank if they proved themselves. Ironically, his locals loved this kind of treatment, but this was in part because Dave would reward them by "slowly feeding them" releases now and then.

Here's a picture of Candyman... RIP, Dave...

The Shark

PS – In the back of my mind, with his sense of humor, I wonder if Candyman is still alive and just pulled a fast one on us. I guess I don't want to believe he is dead.

... 23 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-11-16 11:10
Burglar

and another legend died... sucks... rip candyman
2006-11-16 11:40
Skate

R.I.P
2006-11-16 12:21
Skylab

It's really sad. Another mate left our world. My deepest condolences goes out to his family/friends

Once we all will meet again in the scener's heaven...

R.I.P.
David J. Francis
aka Candyman of FBR (C64) / THG (PC)
2006-11-16 15:36
OEP

That's a bummer. RIP Candyman, thanks for your contributions.

The Oahawhool story will forever be in my memories.
2006-11-16 22:30
AMB

Sad news again...

Rest in peace.
2006-11-17 03:44
Matt

Quote: That's a bummer. RIP Candyman, thanks for your contributions.

The Oahawhool story will forever be in my memories.

what about that Oahawool story?
sounds funny
2006-11-17 06:48
The Shark-INC
Account closed

Well, it wouldn't have been funny if you were Candyman. Here's my version of the story. Candyman was an up and coming scener in 1988. I believe he was in Epic, and he got an offer to join FBR by Oahawhool. By this time, FBR was not doing so well with their competent staff gone. They had lost most of their major contacts except Zenith, but this was a big step for Candyman. Looking back, as I was in communication with C-man at the time, I am kicking myself for not asking Candyman to join INC as he would have been a great addition in combination with Master Kracker.

Now, for the other half of the equation. I was in a serious war with Oahawhool at the time as Fairlight left FBR for INC. Oahawhool wasn't at the stalker level as Wanderer is today, but rather chose the silent strikes such as turning in any competitors and doing all sorts of evil plotting such as trying to get power and phone lines shut off (and this is the tame stuff he would do). I won't get into all of this now, but trust me, he was pure evil and I don't label people like that often. As time went on, C-Man and Oahawhool formed a tight friendship which only hurt my relationship with C-man. C-man, to his credit, tried his best to remain nuetral. As Oahawhool fell on some hard times back in New Jersey, C-man offered him some work and a room at Dave's house. When C-man told me this, I told him that he was inviting "pure evil" and a master manipulator into his home in Missouri. He laughed it off and wondered when Oahwhool and I would end our fued.

Perhaps because C-Man was spending too much time with his business and his various PC/C-64 success that he was ignoring his wife. Maybe their relationship was getting stale after raising teenage children. Whatever the case, Oahawhool made the choice to betray the one guy who offered him so much. Once C-Man figured it all out, Oahawhool and C-man's wife took off together, and this was certainly a sore subject with C-Man so he didn't like to talk about it. After the dust settled, C-Man and I were on good terms again, and it was clear to me that he agreed with my assessment of Oahawhool.
2006-11-17 17:45
Matt

wow!
that's a story!
2006-11-17 18:25
OEP

It's "funny" in a soap opera sense, but I'm sure it wasn't funny to Candyman. Seems odd that scene life spills over to real life sometimes...
2006-11-17 19:11
Trazan

Oahawhool - Skånska for Rövhål?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psenough
Wayne/Art Ravers
insane/Rabenauge
jmin/F4CG
Guests online: 147
Top Demos