Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 117 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-04-17 16:12
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I finally went through all 111 C64 demos! Whew! My second list now has added the following C64 demos (To the ones already listed earlier.):

Kymmene
Nomen Nescio
Plastic Kiss
Postcards from Stockholm
Primary Scar
Real
The Return of Darkness
Timewarp
TUMo8: The Better Party
Ultragui

That makes for a total of 29 C64 Demos worthy of a second review. :) Now, the bad part is that I gotta eliminate 19 of them from consideration.

I hope to have the final top ten list soon for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 16:17
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: I also would like to see REAL by RSC+THE DREAMS and Phanta rhei by oxy+plush+jack asser

Hello.

I did view Panta Rhei, but found it confusing and poorly executed. The hidden parts, IMHO, should have been left out, or put in a seperate demo. For example, I used winVICE and the hidden parts popped out first!. I turned on true drive emulation and got the first real part, only to have it lock up. I turned off all other drives except device #8, and finally got it running. But, it only lasted for a while before the hidden parts came up.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 16:21
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: hammarkullen/afrika was pretty cool too
Hammarkullen

Hello.

I did view Hammarkullen, and found it impressive. However, it is considered as a 'fake demo', and I decided against including it in the voting chart. If someone/group puts in quite an effort, as it happened in Hammarkullen, then they should stand by their work and release it under their label.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 16:25
TDJ

Todd, with all due respect: you shouldn't disqualify a demo because it doesn't run correctly under an emulator - watch it on the real thing, or refrain from passing judgement. Panta Rhei is much better than most of the demos you have selected, and the fact that you don't take it up in your longlist makes you look rather weak as a demo reviewer.
2005-04-17 17:56
Graham
Account closed

If someone is too stupid to use true drive emulation i can't help it.
2005-04-17 18:30
Dane
Account closed

Quote: Todd, with all due respect: you shouldn't disqualify a demo because it doesn't run correctly under an emulator - watch it on the real thing, or refrain from passing judgement. Panta Rhei is much better than most of the demos you have selected, and the fact that you don't take it up in your longlist makes you look rather weak as a demo reviewer.

So this list will not be about demo of the year then, but instead demo group of the year? I don't get it.
2005-04-17 19:09
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

I just viewed Panta Rhei again. This time, I used 1541 (not 1541-II) and enabled true drive emulation throughout. The C64 demo finally worked and I can see that it's nicely done. It was nice to see a new twist on rotating objects that looks like they have 'plasma' textures.

I will add it to my second review list, making for a nice round figure of 30 demos. :) But, Panta Rhei has a long way to go, as it seems to be like a 'one trick pony' where it only has one cool effect. Again, I will review this demo and compare it with other 29 entries in the list and maybe it'll pass muster.

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-17 19:37
Graham
Account closed

Drive type does not matter. I suspect that it didn't work because you started it via Vice autostart which disables true drive emulation. You cannot expect a demo using the drive cpu to work with that...
2005-04-17 20:21
Puterman
Account closed

Eyeth, we've discussed this before, and it's obvious that not everyone's faves are going to be among the ten demos you select. So if it's absolutely impossible to include all serious/half-serious demos, keep at least the 30 you've selected so far.

And saying that Panta Rhei only has one good effect just proves that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, but really, it's pretty annoying when people judge things that they don't know anything about.
2005-04-17 23:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Hello.

I did view Hammarkullen, and found it impressive. However, it is considered as a 'fake demo', and I decided against including it in the voting chart. If someone/group puts in quite an effort, as it happened in Hammarkullen, then they should stand by their work and release it under their label.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

I dont agree.

A demo is a demo, and if someone thinks its good, chances are that other think the same about it.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Scooby/G★P/Light
Mason/Unicess
Alakran_64
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
blala