Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Demo of the Year
2003-08-25 13:08
Eyeth
Account closed

Demo of the Year

Hello.

I'm surprised this idea hasn't been floated around. In the past two years, we have had C64.SK and CSDb ramping up with up to date information on demo releases throughout the year.

Why not have a Demo of the Year voting in Jan. 2004 for demos that were released throughout 2003? Thanks to C64.SK, we know whose demo entries won various competitions, which ones were released, etc. Why not compile a list of demos that won their respective demo party/competition, plus maybe an open invitation to a demo or two to round up the list?

CSDb or some other forum could then host the list and have a voting function for the C64 demo scene in choosing the Demo of the Year 2003. This would be a nice honor and one that is finally made possible thanks to reliable sources like CSDb and C64.SK. I'd like to write about the winning demo entry in a printed Commodore publication as well. :)

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

... 117 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-04-17 19:37
Graham
Account closed

Drive type does not matter. I suspect that it didn't work because you started it via Vice autostart which disables true drive emulation. You cannot expect a demo using the drive cpu to work with that...
2005-04-17 20:21
Puterman
Account closed

Eyeth, we've discussed this before, and it's obvious that not everyone's faves are going to be among the ten demos you select. So if it's absolutely impossible to include all serious/half-serious demos, keep at least the 30 you've selected so far.

And saying that Panta Rhei only has one good effect just proves that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, but really, it's pretty annoying when people judge things that they don't know anything about.
2005-04-17 23:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Quote: Hello.

I did view Hammarkullen, and found it impressive. However, it is considered as a 'fake demo', and I decided against including it in the voting chart. If someone/group puts in quite an effort, as it happened in Hammarkullen, then they should stand by their work and release it under their label.

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott

I dont agree.

A demo is a demo, and if someone thinks its good, chances are that other think the same about it.
2005-04-18 07:07
HCL

I just can't keep shut. Panta Rhei has about one cool effect in each part, that's how i count it. If that's not enough i'm outa'ere.
2005-04-18 08:24
Trash

Why bother to nominate?

List all demos frpm 2004 and give the people two chances to vote on them, first time with all demos included second time with the top five from the first run. All demos from 2004 will then stand the same chance of both being nominated and being voted as "Demo of the year"...
2005-04-18 08:32
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: I just can't keep shut. Panta Rhei has about one cool effect in each part, that's how i count it. If that's not enough i'm outa'ere.

[Points at HCL] what he said. =-)
2005-04-18 10:47
Nightlord
Account closed

panta rhei is an excellent and technically killer demo. i can't believe i forgot to suggest that myself in my post (some 20-30 posts ago).

there will be a total of maximum 100 votes in this again. so why not let all 111 or so demos be voted in a two rounds system. first run a first level vote with all demos for a week. then run a second round of voting with the top 10 from 1st round. and you are done.

with all due respect eyeth, i really think you shouldn't be the one to preselect the candidates by yourself after your pantarhei comments... sorry
2005-04-18 14:40
Eyeth
Account closed

Quote: Why bother to nominate?

List all demos frpm 2004 and give the people two chances to vote on them, first time with all demos included second time with the top five from the first run. All demos from 2004 will then stand the same chance of both being nominated and being voted as "Demo of the year"...

Hello.

The idea sounds pretty good! But, I wonder, if it is workable in actual voting conditions? Presenting the entire list of 100+ demos in a voting chart tends to lessen participation. The 2003 C64 Demo of the Year ballotting only had 64 votes, which IMHO, wasn't enough. This year, I hope to aim a little bit higher, like 100+ votes.

However, I will see if an initial voting chart of 100 2004 C64 demo entries can be presented as a 'prescreening' chart. Participants can choose up to five C64 demo entries for inclusion into the final top ten Voting Chart for the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year.

This would mean that 11 entries would be excluded, presumably the really bad ones. :) (e.g., goatse C64 demo, phallic C64 demos, BASIC demos, etc.) I figure, if people are going to strenously defend C64 demos that are considered being excluded, i.e., Panta Rhei, I don't think there'll be defenders for the bottom of the barrel C64 demos being excluded. :)

That way, even with as little as ten participants in the prescreening round, the 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart will have a representative selection suitable enough to attract more wider voting of 100+ votes. (I hope!)

In the meantime, I will still construct my 2004 C64 Demo of the Year Voting Chart, and arrive at ten worthy 2004 C64 demos. If nothing else, if the prescreening process fails, this chart will be used. And yes, of course, if everything in prescreening works out very well, I'll still post my 'chart' on this forum, just to generate considerable discussion and enjoy singeing flaming at my direction. :)

About Panta Rhei, keep in mind that it will be compared to other C64 demos in this second list. It is admirable to see people defend this demo on its pure technical merits and I appreciate the criticism. However, there are just several other C64 demos that are as equally as worthy and may be better.

Ultimately, the voting audience may consider otherwise. :) This audience consists of a myraid of people, coding skills, demo knowledge, personal taste, etc. and may bring forth inconsistent results as to what makes a C64 Demo truly worthy of the C64 Demo of the Year honors.

Thanks for participating in the discussion!

Enjoy.
-Todd Elliott
2005-04-19 07:03
HCL

Shut up! and give us the list. ;)))
2005-04-20 23:28
Eyeth
Account closed

Hello.

Ask, and ye shall receive! :) Mosey onto the pre-screening round at:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/demooftheyear/

Enjoy!
-Todd Elliott
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Alakran_64
Bacchus/FairLight
Hypnosis/TSD
Scooby/G★P/Light
Mason/Unicess