Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Productions > Limitations - Sprites in the Borders
2006-08-26 19:38
Wile Coyote

Limitations - Sprites in the Borders

hello,

I was thinking, has anyone drawn up a doc with (pictures :)explaining *all known* possibilities with placing sprites into the border areas of the screen.

I know:
8 sprites can be placed in the upper and lower borders.
7 sprites can be placed in the side borders.

I was thinking, what about the corner borders,is that classed as a sideborder or a top or bottom border (8 sprites).

Another question :) when 7 sprites are placed into the sideborders can the 8th free sprite be placed into the main (center) screen areas or by opening up the side borders, is the option for an 8th sprite not available.

I am asking these questions as i am thinking about designs that use the border areas :)

thanks
/wec

... 35 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-27 10:17
tlr

Quote: I have to agree with JackAsser, under normal circumstances you won't get more than 4 sprites in the sideborders.

Quote:
I haven't seen anybody manage FLI every line with 7 sprites in the border for example.

And I haven't seen anybody managing FLI every line with even 1 sprite in the border.

@Graham: I stand corrected.
I must admit I stopped coding demos for the c64 in 1988, although I followed the developments since then. ;)
2006-08-27 11:08
Wile Coyote

Quote: Actually that was Jetboy's post, but I can help out too if you like. :)
Breakpoint 06 c64 Graphics Seminar does some explanation on how the Deus Ex Machina picture was created (in Photoshop), and much more.

Basically you can have 7 (usually just 4) sprites per line in the "screen" part of the y-coordinates, and 8 in the rest.
There are many restrictions based on this. I haven't seen anybody manage FLI every line with 7 sprites in the border for example.
If you stay on the standard VIC-II modes (MultiColor/Hires) + sideborder you'll be safe. Otherwise I suggest you present an idea, and then someone codes a viewer to test if it is possible to display it before you draw it.

Oswalds comment about the X-coordinates is just that coordinate 0 is not the leftmost location.

Also what usually limits you from displaying many sprites in the "screen" area is that every 8th line is a "badline", i.e less raster time to open the border.

There are ways to manipulate these badlines (e.g FLI which adds them).

You could for example work with the restriction that some parts of the screen have more sprites, but doesn't open the border in some of the raster lines. Note that when not opening the border in a line, the border color will show one raster line lower on the left side than on the right side.

thanks, although there is nothing to help out with at the moment. I have simply been thinking about possibilities and clever design :)

So 4 sprites is the way to go. 4 sprites for the side borders and the other 4 sprites can be used on the (main) screen (or should that be 3 (7 total)).

..and what about hires, multi colour, expanded sprites. Can this affect the timing? or is a sprite a sprite :)

Crossbow spoke of displaying a sprite, but not a whole sprite (during Krestage or Krestage 2). I'll have to see the demo again, i think he speaks of displaying only the first 16 or 18 pixels of the sprite.
2006-08-27 11:22
tlr

Quote:
So 4 sprites is the way to go. 4 sprites for the side borders and the other 4 sprites can be used on the (main) screen (or should that be 3 (7 total)).

Only 4 sprites in total on a given raster line with the normal screen open. That is 4 sprites that can be either in the border or in the middle of the screen.

Typical example of the simplest form is the first part of Bonanza.

Quote:
..and what about hires, multi colour, expanded sprites. Can this affect the timing? or is a sprite a sprite :)

A sprite is a sprite. If a sprite is active on a given line it affects timing.

Quote:
Crossbow spoke of displaying a sprite, but not a whole sprite (during Krestage or Krestage 2). I'll have to see the demo again, i think he speaks of displaying only the first 16 or 18 pixels of the sprite.

I don't remember the height, but I don't think you will benefit from this on a static image.

A sprite can change it's x-pos and color on a raster line in the middle of it so you can emulate this anyway.
2006-08-27 11:33
enthusi

Look for ESCOM-pictures.
Iirc they use all borders with xy-expanded sprites.
Wait I will check.
Airwolf
Nice example.
Most look worse :)
Anyway - there you go.
2006-08-27 11:47
tlr

Quote: Look for ESCOM-pictures.
Iirc they use all borders with xy-expanded sprites.
Wait I will check.
Airwolf
Nice example.
Most look worse :)
Anyway - there you go.

ESCOS. Expanded Screen COnstruction Set
2006-08-27 13:42
JackAsser

Phat moving ESCOS by HCL in Totally Stoned 2 ... FYI.
2006-08-27 14:15
Wile Coyote

Quote: Quote:

Only 4 sprites in total on a given raster line with the normal screen open. That is 4 sprites that can be either in the border or in the middle of the screen.

Typical example of the simplest form is the first part of Bonanza.

Quote:

A sprite is a sprite. If a sprite is active on a given line it affects timing.

Quote:

I don't remember the height, but I don't think you will benefit from this on a static image.

A sprite can change it's x-pos and color on a raster line in the middle of it so you can emulate this anyway.

The height thing, i thought the benefit could be from the added color made available :)

So how do you explain the note to *Don't Meet Crest*
There appears to be a character logo, rasterbars and 7 sprites. The sprites bunch up and appear to overlap each other and enter into the side borders. Mind you it could be an illusion, as while the 7 sprites appear to be on the same horizontal line, the sprites bunch up as they enter the side border, so maybe only 4 sprites are in the one location.

2006-08-27 15:30
Oswald

in the dont meet crest note there are simply NO badlines :D I may be wrong here, but AFAIK it uses linecrunch, which is normally used to scroll the screen upwards, but you can also display with it about 56 different gfx lines (switching amongst csets and banks). well someone else will explain it more deeply :)
2006-08-27 15:35
JackAsser

Quote: The height thing, i thought the benefit could be from the added color made available :)

So how do you explain the note to *Don't Meet Crest*
There appears to be a character logo, rasterbars and 7 sprites. The sprites bunch up and appear to overlap each other and enter into the side borders. Mind you it could be an illusion, as while the 7 sprites appear to be on the same horizontal line, the sprites bunch up as they enter the side border, so maybe only 4 sprites are in the one location.

Havn't checked the code, but I say this is a classic example of avoiding badline. If I would have done it I would have chosen ECM mode. And at every 7th line repeat the char row to avoid bad lines, switch $dd00 and $d018 to select graphics. To get the borders brown I would have used a character with the third BG-color in ECM mode and let it be brown, at char column 39. Remeber the bgcolor of the char in column 39 defines the color of the border "under" the normal border, both in bitmap and in ECM mode. (bg color of a char in normal char mode is always $d021, but can vary in bitmap and in ECM mode).

But then again, I'm perhaps completly off here, it is still Crossbow code... :D

edit: forget about bitmap and ECM.... that's in single color only... :D someone else crack this...
2006-08-27 16:00
Oswald

Jack, it can be multicolor chars / bitmap easily...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Doc Snyder/ONS
Guests online: 319
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)