Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Worst VICE bug in history (RAM error/BASIC)
2015-11-13 08:01
SIDWAVE
Account closed

Worst VICE bug in history (RAM error/BASIC)

yeah.. no, its real..

1 hour of work is lost, and i have to do it all over again.
i ran super writer editor (super poker) that has been working ffrom day 1 for 30 years, and i wrote a message it took 1 hour to write.

its all fucked up, and the text is full of zeros, every 2nd letter.

some strange catastophe error with vice happened, and it has run a fully working BASIC program, and poked the data into ram wrong, so the text cant be saved.. it has
a recurring simple bug.:

text typed from basic into ram, as super pokwer does, it has a 0 between every letter. first 3rd of it, then there is some text that is 100% as it shall be (complete with cursor moved, and color changes etc), and the last 40% of the text has the same bug as all in the start, every single key/char that was typed into ram, has a 0 between every letter/chr$ that was typed.

so now, my who work is destroyed, because VICE apparently cant run BASIC programs properly anymore ?

i dont know how this shit is possible, but the error is very systematic.

EVERY byte entered into ram, has a 0 byte between every value...

looks like a simple systematic RAM error in VICE.. that somehow got activated.

i kid you not, im a pro, and i dont want any stupid arguments out of this.

i can fix the text by removing all the zeroes between the typed letters in the message, manually, and perhaps save it all from sure death this way. at least it looks that way.

im almost crying..
i never expected such a freak accident to happen.

what could cause VICE to advance 2 bytes in ram, every time the poke in the basic program only advances 1 byte in ram ?

clearly such an error should be easy to find, but what strange shit in VICE can cause this ?

oh god...
i just feel so sad right now.. this thing i wrote is a part of the 30 year anniversary..

(drained for power now, and sad)

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2015-11-13 16:38
Bitbreaker

In the time of emulators one also uses crosscompiling to get things done. Thus, the avant-garde includes demotext in the .asm sources, that is what i heard as a pro.

!convtab scr
!text "you penis is small! ha! ha!"
2015-11-13 16:48
Oswald

pro dude, since when do you need emulators and cross devving to store text in src ?? I've already did that wirh profi ass...
2015-11-13 17:20
SIDWAVE
Account closed

not a single serious answer.
nobody seems to know anything about how it will be possible as i wrote, that it chose today to poke every 2nd adress with the input and not every single byte.

not one single professional IT person answer, just another bull thread on csdb.

as i wrote i can fix it myself, manually, the text is all there, but filled with 0 in between every char in some parts of the text.

clearly i know that i know my computing, and what kinda piss answer just to make a fool out me that this poor answer/bullying/making fun of/claiming i cause basic to skip every 2nd byte..

what you take me for ?
a fool obviously, clearly csdb is never or ever gonna be the place to ask concrete question about weird freak bug..

all you get (from the usual ones and their followers is a complete buyll answer, that i dont know how to use a basic program i used for 30 years and that worked last week.

you dont even wanna try, you just wanna pour shit this way.

so lets forget all about it, i can fix the text, its just a text macro in a pc editor and some convert job..

right lets forget it...

first of all i have virus in my pc
2nd of all i have broken on purpose by mistake because i have zero computer skill, a program i used 30 years, and on top i am blaming vice for this error, because i am an idiot.

ok, write that in your book then.

its all over now, no reason to waste anymore time on this thread full of only piss answer, for the pure sake to make trouble.,

now this long inpolite answer back to you from me, is my answer,.

who cares...

im not doing this again, this is the final time.
if i ever get any strange problem with vice that usually always work, because i have made sure to keep a version that hasnt too many stupid bugs, im not gonna ask anybody in here about help anymore.

i left kindergarten in 1976, and i lets system developer/programmer in 1992..

and you wanna be finished with me ?
haha

c64 scene was built on friendship, letters, diskmags and article, messages in scrollers that people actually read all of it and loved what people wrote in those old days, and .

its all gone to hell, and the sane guys are having the family on facebook..

that this mess you have created because thats how you want it, that it could ever be saved... is an illusion.

no more

my 2 last demos are coming, they are music disks.
all people who liek music, listen.

all people who dont.. doesnt hurt me if you think so...
i can see on some pages on the net where my listeners are, and the 300-400 in the c64 scene are the real sid music lovers.

bah, i quit
2015-11-13 17:22
SIDWAVE
Account closed

ian coog, no it will not, and it never did for 30 years.
groepaz, superwriter worked since 1986, nothing has changed.

you can take your little joke that i dont know what im doing, and shove it. eos
2015-11-13 17:24
SIDWAVE
Account closed

i just told you all that it worked peerfect as always last week.

and still you write this nonsense answer as you did. ?

its because you want to write nonsense, and not give a shit to fidn out how this bug could happen.

now end.

no words. music need no words.
2015-11-13 17:25
SIDWAVE
Account closed

do what you want, you always do what you want anyway.
2015-11-13 17:31
chatGPZ

i just hope that at some time in the future you will actually realise that what ian wrote is infact totally correct - the program is broken and cant work with such huge amount of text. and the very same thing will happen on a real c64 of course.
2015-11-13 18:15
Bitbreaker

All the piss answers were just the polite version to let you know that you suck in using a computer. As already mentioned, Ian gave you an elaborate explanation on what went wrong in a technical way. Now go and ragequit anyway, it is about time. You loop back in a week anyway, as usual.
2015-11-13 18:17
SIDWAVE
Account closed

since the text is 5000-8000 ca, it works.
as i already wrote, the first 30% of text in $5000 is wrong from start, and i didnt know, and it cannot mess up $5000 when i reach about 8000 and message is done.

i hate to repeat myself, but you are not taking this bug report serious at all.

you claim that C64 will mess up something 5000-8000 because i have done something wrong, when it all worked perfect always, and there is ram for text up to $9000 where superwriter program is, and also, i can anytime move the text to $1000..

at no point not a single time have you tried to believe or want to believe that someway a strange poke+increase byte+2 has happened by itself.

end
2015-11-13 18:18
Danzig

I recently found this in the vice sources...

if( get_day_of_week()==DAY_FRIDAY
 && get_day_of_month()==13 
 && !stricmp("sidwave", online_reflector->verify_ip_with_logged_on_csdb_account(ip))) {
  utf16_for_funny_petscii_results = 1;
}

has it smth to do with the problem?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
master_hacker
Guests online: 66
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)