Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > sprite clipping at the top while using AGSP
2017-04-26 23:07
knue

sprite clipping at the top while using AGSP

Hi all,

I'm currently coding a game using an AGSP scroller. Since enemies are supposed to enter the screen from all sides, I have to clip the sprites entering from the top as the first 25+8 raster lines are used for the AGSP stuff. The question is: What is the best way to do this?

I can think of the following:

1) don't clip at all.

The sprite would simply pop up at full height when it enters from the top. This one is a bit ugly but wouldn't be the first game suffering from such problems...

2) set sprite pointers to a zeroed sprite.

While this basically works, the timing in the AGSP stuff gets incredibly complicated. I don't know whether this is even possible (without going insane). I mean I would need an immense amount of logic to time various areas in the AGSP stuff correctly depending on how many sprites are visible in this raster line.

Are there other options on the table or is 2) doable with some fancy lookup table or sth?

You can find the code here if someone is interested:
https://github.com/leissa/c64engine

Thanks in advance for any help.

... 25 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-04-27 05:16
ChristopherJam

(oh, and if you're deferring this until later, it might be worth positioning half a dozen or so blank sprites in the AGSP area anyway, so at least that way you know you have the DMA time available?

Hysteron Proteron used sprites in the AGSP area for the HUD, or would have if I'd ever finished it..)
2017-04-27 06:01
lft

Quoting ChristopherJam
It's a little messier because AGSP is taller than that; you need to have all your blank sprites initially double height, and zero d017 when you leave the region.

Or you could use magic sprite stretch (i.e. sprite crunch). But that would involve some timing-critical stuff before the AGSP area, so it would just move the problem.

One thing that I thought was a bit unclear in ChristopherJam's suggestion is this: Suppose you have a y-expanded blank sprite, followed by the actual sprite at, say, line $40. And suppose the visible part of the display begins at $4a. It would be kind of messy to turn off y-expansion at line $40, especially if there are several sprites at different y-positions. So what you should do is to also expand the hidden part of the actual sprite! It will now be located at $36, and the first 10 lines (fetched from a blank sprite) are y-expanded. Then, after the VSP, you turn off y-expansion for every sprite simultaneously.
2017-04-27 06:13
JackAsser

You might wanna check how we did it in Pinball Dreams. Can't remember right now, but the top paddles must have been properly clipped against the AGSP-area.

@WVL: Do you remember?
2017-04-27 06:37
ChristopherJam

Quoting lft
So what you should do is to also expand the hidden part of the actual sprite! It will now be located at $36, and the first 10 lines (fetched from a blank sprite) are y-expanded. Then, after the VSP, you turn off y-expansion for every sprite simultaneously.

Sorry yes, that's what I was attempting to suggest! Thanks for clarifying :)

I started drawing some ascii art, but it was getting too bulky. Time to bump that request for a media area for the forums? I still need to fix the half dozen dropbox hosted images I've posted to other discussions :-/
2017-04-27 14:17
knue

@ChristopherJam: That's a really cool idea. But I guess this also means, that I can't use sprites for displaying game infos like life, points and so on because I'll need all sprites (assuming I can have 8 enemies coming from the top) to fight the clipping.
2017-04-27 14:58
Compyx

How about having the sprites 'pop in', but when clipping is required, copy only the lines of the sprite that needs displaying into the temporary popped-in sprite.

Takes a bit of rastertime, but at least avoid a lot of timing issues and leaves sprites free on the linecrunch area for a score display.

Once the sprite has gone down enough, switch pointer to the normal sprite.
2017-04-27 15:44
ChristopherJam

Quoting knue
@ChristopherJam: That's a really cool idea. But I guess this also means, that I can't use sprites for displaying game infos like life, points and so on because I'll need all sprites (assuming I can have 8 enemies coming from the top) to fight the clipping.

Thanks! But yes, losing sprites you could have otherwise used for status display is definitely an issue. I was wondering about plotting the status into the blank sprites at a corrected height, but to do that the sprites would need to be unexpanded, so you'd have to set Y at least once per sprite within the AGSP area.

Quoting Compyx
How about having the sprites 'pop in', but when clipping is required, copy only the lines of the sprite that needs displaying into the temporary popped-in sprite.

Takes a bit of rastertime, but at least avoid a lot of timing issues and leaves sprites free on the linecrunch area for a score display.

Once the sprite has gone down enough, switch pointer to the normal sprite.

I was considering that for Hysteron Proteron. It does limit your sprite density, mind. Consider a dense formation of 2x2 sprite enemies; the blank area pushed down from the first row then overlaps the next...
2017-04-27 17:04
knue

dynamically copying stuff costs too much rastertime for a game.

BTW: Fred's back is having the same problemm. You can see that sprites pop in at the top of the screen.

Even Ghost'n'Goblins (although using a traditional scroller) sort of hast this problem. In level 2 when you climb up the ladders, you can see the halfs of the big goblins popping in out of nowhere at the bottom of the screen.
2017-04-27 17:04
Compyx

True, when you add 2x2 sprite 'enemies', you'd indeed get overlap, unless you also render the second line of sprites, having them 'pop in' at 21 pixels from the top sprites.
But that'll take even more rastertime and specialized code, and will seriously screw with multiplexing. So things will get out of hand soon.

So yeah, my suggestion might work for simple sprite patterns (ie single sprites for enemies etc), but not for more complex stuff.

I'm also wondering about how to fix the sprite-pointers showing up in the AGSP-adjusted screen, at those locations (ie $x[37bf]f8-$x[37bf]ff) you can only use colorram and background, not vidram (assuming mc bitmap here).
2017-04-27 17:55
Digger

Could you use one of the illegal modes for $d011 in the upper AGSP area to turn off the screen and hide the sprites behind? Then just switch the sprite priority after the line crunch.
I guess this might not work for some reason, otherwise someone would have already suggested it ;-)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
DJ Space
Guests online: 115
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)