Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user tschak909 ! (Registered 2018-10-23) You are not logged in 
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Why wont it let me LOAD....
2018-07-19 22:38
Nova

Why wont it let me LOAD....

Screw it,
If i had solved my problem you would all have had to
watch 36 fucking parts of Retroholica by genesis project at X2012 so i guess there is a higher purpose to not letting me irq load with on the fly decompression...

I thought i saw the light when i discovered the
Plushsqueezer V2 and integrated that loader in several
of my unfinished demos but it keeps fucking up some of my stable interupts, not all and i cant see a pattern and i have kind of given up.

I am not a multi platform programer, i love oldschool coding on the 6502 but if you ask me to compile something in a linux environment or some weird C++ cross platform compiling there is just no way, and since life still gets in the way i will most likely give up because there are more fun things to do then failing at compiling a loader with on the fly decompression for a 35 year old fucking computer !!

I managed to compile Dreamload with just the "normal" unpacked irq loading and it worked great but diskspace will soon be an issue..

Could someone please come up with a guide for compiling
both the Krill and Dreamload loaders with decompression and flip disk options in a Windows 7 64bit enviroment..

Sincerly yours:
Nova.

... 54 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-07-24 16:01
Groepaz

Quote:
Soon we will probably have AI helping us code

and even more dumb "coders" :)
2018-07-24 16:58
Golara

Quote: It's inevitable. We all belong to the generation of ultimate control and I used to think the same about C (or any high level language) as expressed towards IDE's.

I'm sure car tinkerers think the same about automated diagnostic tools and computer controlled injection, etc. In the end it is about productivity as said above. You could write everything in assembler, but you wouldn't accomplish much.

Soon we will probably have AI helping us code and we will be at yet another abstraction layer.

I get what you're saying, but what I am saying (maybe Groepaz and Krill too, but I'm not gonna talk for them) is that I work fine without these tools. The one thing I like in the IDEs is that you can look up a definition of something (very useful in corporate shit code where everything is abstracted in classes and spread across 10 files), but somehow I can live even without that.
It might be an unhealthy obsession, but I like my programs small and fast. If I have to stare on the Visual Studio splash screen for 5 seconds and then wait for it to wake up when you press the compile button, it just annoys me. In my editor I can look for text (and regular expressions) in all files which is enough for me. At work I often work over slow SSH (because the code is huge and it compiles on some beast machine in the middle of fucking nowhere) so it's faster to just grep than look through the files on slow network (btw, sshfs on linux rulez, network dirs are allways "different" on windows and you can't even open CMD in them hahaha)

Btw. I'm only 23, so I don't belong to any "C" generation, it's not nostalgia or any other crap, it just works for me very well and I recommend others what I think is good.
2018-07-24 17:01
Groepaz

+1 :) i hardly ever use those fancy search features in IDEs either - grep is awesome :)
2018-07-24 17:27
ChristopherJam

Well, image conversion already involves backtracking and optimisation for some of the more esoteric modes, and I gather some of the audio codecs might be heading towards incorporating some neural network tech.

So yeah, AI driven code generation probably isn't far off at all.

I'm probably still going to be using VIM to write cost metrics for the AI, mind ;-)
2018-07-24 17:45
ChristopherJam

btw, nice to see someone so young joining the scene. Us oldies aren't going to last forever :)
2018-07-24 17:52
Golara

Quote: btw, nice to see someone so young joining the scene. Us oldies aren't going to last forever :)

You saw some of my first effort quite some time ago (as huge jass), I'm still working on that demo, got 3 parts ready ;)
2018-09-21 21:07
Nova

Jesus.
60 replies and about 10% helpfull..
Big thanks to oziphantom and Krill and a few others that bothered to post serious advice.
/Björn "Nova" Olsson
2018-09-22 07:28
Krill

Nova, if you want to get serious replies to your questions over at Krill's Loader, Repository Version 164 then ask in the associated forum thread Release id #167152 : Krill's Loader, repository version 164 and consider re-phrasing them or adding more context, i'm not quite sure if i understand your problem.
2018-09-22 14:06
Raistlin

Perhaps Krill Loader also allows this but my original reply still stands...

Personally I use LFT’s Spindle. It comes with a single executable, Spin.exe, already compiled - for Windows! - and that you just pass a script to and it goes off and creates you a shippable .d64. The instructions are simple and easy. Code wise you simply jump to a certain memory address and Spindle goes off and loads the next chunks of data, specified in your script, to the memory addresses that you’ve specified in your script. It’s SO simple to use... and very nicely made, too.
2018-09-22 15:57
Krill

Spindle and my loader have very different design goals, and that often determines the choice made by individual coders.

Disclaimer: Some of the following observations may be wrong or outdated.

Spindle makes it very easy to integrate a loader without having to cross-compile it, and does more than just loading. It's a complete demo framework.

But while it does so much, it seems to impose certain limits, which some people don't want to have.

Files are loaded strictly sequentually, there is no way to decide what to load at run-time, only when. More or less - from the docs: "pefchain may schedule a load at any time during your part."
Also, it cannot be relocated arbitrarily: "Spindle occupies two pages of C64 memory at all times: $0c00–$0dff."

My loader is geared towards maximum flexibility, and it doesn't do anything other than load (and decompress) files. Any kind of framework is out of its scope and completely up to the coder. And yes, if you can't be bothered to compile it yourself, you must use the pre-compiled binaries and code your demo or game around the memory ranges the loader uses, plus being tied to the default compressor and other options.

There are more differences, of course.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Hoild/Ultimate Newco..
Guests online: 24
Top Demos
1 Uncensored  (9.7)
2 Comaland 100%  (9.7)
3 Edge of Disgrace  (9.7)