Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Why wont it let me LOAD....
2018-07-19 22:38
Nova

Why wont it let me LOAD....

Screw it,
If i had solved my problem you would all have had to
watch 36 fucking parts of Retroholica by genesis project at X2012 so i guess there is a higher purpose to not letting me irq load with on the fly decompression...

I thought i saw the light when i discovered the
Plushsqueezer V2 and integrated that loader in several
of my unfinished demos but it keeps fucking up some of my stable interupts, not all and i cant see a pattern and i have kind of given up.

I am not a multi platform programer, i love oldschool coding on the 6502 but if you ask me to compile something in a linux environment or some weird C++ cross platform compiling there is just no way, and since life still gets in the way i will most likely give up because there are more fun things to do then failing at compiling a loader with on the fly decompression for a 35 year old fucking computer !!

I managed to compile Dreamload with just the "normal" unpacked irq loading and it worked great but diskspace will soon be an issue..

Could someone please come up with a guide for compiling
both the Krill and Dreamload loaders with decompression and flip disk options in a Windows 7 64bit enviroment..

Sincerly yours:
Nova.

... 58 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-07-24 17:45
ChristopherJam

btw, nice to see someone so young joining the scene. Us oldies aren't going to last forever :)
2018-07-24 17:52
Golara
Account closed

Quote: btw, nice to see someone so young joining the scene. Us oldies aren't going to last forever :)

You saw some of my first effort quite some time ago (as huge jass), I'm still working on that demo, got 3 parts ready ;)
2018-09-21 21:07
Nova

Jesus.
60 replies and about 10% helpfull..
Big thanks to oziphantom and Krill and a few others that bothered to post serious advice.
/Björn "Nova" Olsson
2018-09-22 07:28
Krill

Nova, if you want to get serious replies to your questions over at Krill's Loader, Repository Version 164 then ask in the associated forum thread Release id #167152 : Krill's Loader, repository version 164 and consider re-phrasing them or adding more context, i'm not quite sure if i understand your problem.
2018-09-22 14:06
Raistlin

Perhaps Krill Loader also allows this but my original reply still stands...

Personally I use LFT’s Spindle. It comes with a single executable, Spin.exe, already compiled - for Windows! - and that you just pass a script to and it goes off and creates you a shippable .d64. The instructions are simple and easy. Code wise you simply jump to a certain memory address and Spindle goes off and loads the next chunks of data, specified in your script, to the memory addresses that you’ve specified in your script. It’s SO simple to use... and very nicely made, too.
2018-09-22 15:57
Krill

Spindle and my loader have very different design goals, and that often determines the choice made by individual coders.

Disclaimer: Some of the following observations may be wrong or outdated.

Spindle makes it very easy to integrate a loader without having to cross-compile it, and does more than just loading. It's a complete demo framework.

But while it does so much, it seems to impose certain limits, which some people don't want to have.

Files are loaded strictly sequentually, there is no way to decide what to load at run-time, only when. More or less - from the docs: "pefchain may schedule a load at any time during your part."
Also, it cannot be relocated arbitrarily: "Spindle occupies two pages of C64 memory at all times: $0c00–$0dff."

My loader is geared towards maximum flexibility, and it doesn't do anything other than load (and decompress) files. Any kind of framework is out of its scope and completely up to the coder. And yes, if you can't be bothered to compile it yourself, you must use the pre-compiled binaries and code your demo or game around the memory ranges the loader uses, plus being tied to the default compressor and other options.

There are more differences, of course.
2019-03-13 06:05
map

Hi, I recently started reading some threads in this forum and stumbled on this one.

Some years ago I started to create a guide for exactly these kind of windows users like the OP and tried to keep it as simple as possible so even your mum can compile Krill's loader for you.
Unfortunately the document is meanwhile rather outdated but there might be parts still usefull. Basically it is possible to compile Krill's loader within 30 minutes or less, I think. This means starting with nothing else than an old Win7, a webbrowser for the downloads and a good internet connection.

http://plush.de/map/Krills_loader_quick_setup_guide_for_Windows..

This is of course not part of the official documentation, just based on some quick notes I 'scribbelt down' during the setup.

Using the proposed cycwin might become obsolete anyway with the build-in Linux coming with Win10.

Also meanwhile I favor using tinycrunch and on the fly decrompression much more than the mentioned recipe from DJ-Gruby.
2019-03-13 13:37
chatGPZ

you really want to use msys2 instead of cygwin these days :) way less hassle, less crap to download, faster, etc
2019-03-14 06:28
map

Thank you for the hint. I will consider this if I will create an updated version of that document.
Still the described setup was hassle free enough to setup to get started and can be used to build even the latest versions from Krill's Loader without any knowledge about Linux.
Atleast there is now something where to point the Linux-Noobs to, when questions like from the OP come up again.
2019-03-14 08:30
Krill

When i grow up, i'll try to fix the Makefiles to work out of the box with Make for Windows. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
anonym/padua
Rutterkin
Mojzesh/TGR🇬🇧
lA-sTYLe/Quantum
t0m3000/ibex-crew