Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Best practice IRQ recovery
2021-06-10 20:30
Trap

Best practice IRQ recovery

Hi,

Here's a little newbie question. Sorry, I'm still learning this shit and it's really complicated :(

I have kernel off ($01=$35) and I am running IRQ's using the normal $fffe/$ffff vectors.
I want to exit from this and call a prepacked piece of code (in this case something packed with TinyCrunch).

I tried restoring the IRQ vectors and jump to the packer. However, it just hangs. I tried some other things but all gave the same result. The only thing that worked was when I did this:

sei
lda #$36
sta $01
jsr $ff81
jmp unpacker

The problem of course is that it resets the VIC which isn't really great for my situation.

So, my question:

What is the correct/proper way to exit from a part and go to the next? preferably not using kernal routines :|

Thank you.

Trap

... 78 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-06-13 12:23
Copyfault

Quoting ChristopherJam
argh, damn it. Give the possibility of "some other coder's VIC interrupt setting up a CIA interrupt or vise versa" I might actually need to reconsider my stance.

How hostile an environment do I want to guard against is the question I guess..
Ah ok, if the irq vecs have been changed already and need to be readjusted to some new routine, this might become tricky without SEI/CLI. Not completely impossible, but needs careful planning when the hi/lo-vecs are set.

In my former posts, I had a basic startup situation with its standard irqs in mind...
2021-06-13 12:27
Copyfault

Quoting ChristopherJam
Quoting Copyfault
I still don't understand why this should be needed. Switching off an IRQ source does just this; no further IRQs should be triggered after the source has been disabled, with the exception of the ones that got triggered while performing the disabling store opcode (see above).

But reading the other posts, I guess I have to ask: where am I wrong?

You're not really wrong. The only edge case this misses is when an interrupt triggered by one source reenables interrupts from another source you've already shut down (eg a VIC interrupt setting up a CIA interrupt).
Oh yes! So mixtures of IRQ sources have to be forbidden ;) But this'd narrow the possibilities (and thus the creativity) so I fear the revenge of evil SEI/CLI :(
2021-06-13 13:41
chatGPZ

The resistance to write proper code in favour of some 80s cargocult is impressing =D
2021-06-13 13:59
Krill

As has been demonstrated, it's not cargo cult under certain conditions. (It remains cargo cult when coming from BASIC.)

But then i'd consider setting interrupt masks from interrupt handlers bad practice. There are ways to effectively suspend interrupts without setting an interrupt mask, for both CIA timer and VIC raster interrupts, which would work in a ping-pong setup.

Now, any clean-up code after a demo part should know best how to safely disable all interrupts.

And it's still advisable to clean up things from within an interrupt handler. The I flag is set already, and the last interrupt has been acknowledged already or would have to be acked later anyways if not exiting yet.
2021-06-13 14:07
chatGPZ

Quote:
it's not cargo cult under certain conditions.

sure, there are some RARE cases where its needed. but certainly not in the general case, or even in most cases.
2021-06-13 14:20
Oswald

good point with irq's reenabling irqs. I'll keep sei cli and ack cia irqs :)
2021-06-13 15:21
ChristopherJam

Quote: good point with irq's reenabling irqs. I'll keep sei cli and ack cia irqs :)

Don't forget to write to $dd0d before the others then SEI for a second time in case an NMI didn't restore the I bit.
2021-06-13 16:34
TWW

Quoting ChristopherJam
haha, writing to the NMI vector without disabling the pertinent CIA first is just as much asking for it.

Yes, you should disable/ack CIA#2 interrupts first before grounding it / fiddling with the vectors. Here is the full code I use to setup a safe raster IRQ without presuming too much:

sei
    // Disable/ack all CIA interrupts
    ldx #$7f
    stx $dd0d
    lda $dd0d
    stx $dc0d
    lda $dc0d
    // Bank in all available RAM except IO
    lda #$35
    sta $01

// Ground NMI
    lda #<NMI_Lock
    sta $fffa
    lda #>NMI_Lock
    sta $fffb       // Set NMI Vector to point to RTI
    ldx #$00
    stx $dd0e	// Stop CIA #2 Timer A
    stx $dd04
    stx $dd05       // Set CIA #2 Timer A to 0 cycles
    inx
    stx $dd0d       // Enable CIA #2 Timer A as NMI source
    lda #$81
    sta $dd0e       // Start Timer A and trigger NMI
    bne *+3
NMI_Lock:
        rti

// Set IRQ Vector
    lda #<IRQ_Vector.getValue()
    sta $fffe
    lda #>IRQ_Vector.getValue()
    sta $ffff

// Set Raster Interrupt Compare Value
    lda #Raster_Compare_Value.getValue()
    sta $d012
    lda $d011
    .if (Raster_Compare_Value.getValue()<256) {
        and #%01111111
    } else {
        ora #$80
    }
    sta $d011

// Ack any pending Raster Compare IRQs (normally not neccessary)
    lda #$01
    sta $d019

// Enable Raster IRQs
//    lda #$01
    sta $d01a

// Allow IRQ's
    cli
// async code
async:
    jmp async

I consider this as safe as I can make it without making assumptions on what was.
Another important point is that if you are running async. code after the cli (instead of jmp *) you can get straight to that with no hassle and you are sure the VIC IRQ which was setup fires exactly when you told it and not by accident after the cli if some latent CIA IRQ fired (which it may have if you entered from basic).
2021-06-13 17:53
chatGPZ

you forgot the second SEI
2021-06-13 18:01
Oswald

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
radius75
wil
cobbpg
Mythus/Delysid
CA$H/TRiAD