Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Crossassembler on MacOS
2021-07-14 20:04
New Design

Crossassembler on MacOS

Hi guys,

I own a MacBook Pro with the latest version of MacOs Big Sur.
Is anyone here coding on MacOS? Are there any recommendations for an IDE or setup to code assembler?
I made some experiments with Relaunch64, KickAss, ACME and Vice.
I don't know if that makes sense.

Greetings from Germany, New Design
2021-07-14 20:12
Pex Mahoney Tufvesson

Anything goes, really. Find out what you need and use it - I use dasm together with makescripts. And a "plain" text editor like sublime text. For fast iteration cycles, I use vice x64 with a tcp terminal connection and push my newly assembled code into the already running session and force a jump to the start position. This works for me, and saves the latency of: 1. crunching on the pc side, 2. starting the emulator, 3. reset cycle in the emulator, 4. the loading time and 5. the decrunching on the c64 side.
2021-07-14 20:54
Frostbyte

I've used VS Code (yeah I know it is M$, but actually quite nice) with Paul Hocker's kickassembler extension, and latest kickass, of course. Works well for my needs.

EDIT: Oh, and x64sc from latest Vice for running (F6 compiles and runs), the brilliant C64 Debugger for debugging (Shift-F6 compiles and debugs).
2021-07-14 21:57
bOOZElEE

@Frostbyte maybe you should check out VSCodium: It's a free/libre oss binary of VSCode with telemetry disabled and licensed under the MIT license.
2021-07-14 22:27
Frostbyte

Quote: @Frostbyte maybe you should check out VSCodium: It's a free/libre oss binary of VSCode with telemetry disabled and licensed under the MIT license.

Thanks mate, looks interesting! However I don't mind MS gathering metrics about how I use the product (as long as GDPR is adhered to). Coming from software industry myself, I know how important this data can be to provide better things/services that the people actually want and use, to identify underlying usability issues or even bugs, etc. After all, they provide a pretty nifty piece of software to me for free, and in exchange I give them a little bit of data about how I use it so that they can improve it. Something worth a thought for everyone.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic!
2021-07-15 00:34
JackAsser

Quote: Anything goes, really. Find out what you need and use it - I use dasm together with makescripts. And a "plain" text editor like sublime text. For fast iteration cycles, I use vice x64 with a tcp terminal connection and push my newly assembled code into the already running session and force a jump to the start position. This works for me, and saves the latency of: 1. crunching on the pc side, 2. starting the emulator, 3. reset cycle in the emulator, 4. the loading time and 5. the decrunching on the c64 side.

I do exactly the same except I use CA65 instead of dasm, otherwise the same approach: makefile + ram injection
2021-07-15 00:48
Silver Dream !

Yup - as others pointed out too - ca65, with (preferably mine and Oliver's) Makefile, with good code editor like Textmate, VS-Code (or VS-Codium if you don't fancy the M$ telemetry crap) or Sublime and you'll be good to go.
2021-07-15 01:01
Krill

Quoting Frostbyte
However I don't mind MS gathering metrics [...] they provide a pretty nifty piece of software to me for free, and in exchange I give them a little bit of data about how I use it so that they can improve it. Something worth a thought for everyone.
Free or not, this kind of thing should always be opt-in. And it's a text editor, basically, with a very large and very active base of contributors. Not buying the argument.
2021-07-15 01:08
Krill

Quoting New Design
Are there any recommendations for an IDE or setup to code assembler?
I am quite fond of Kate as a truly FOSS multiplatform editor.

Regarding assemblers, you might want to go for something that eats canonical 6502 assembly syntax, otherwise you'll end up porting or rewriting all kinds of external code.
2021-07-15 08:05
Youth

Quote: I do exactly the same except I use CA65 instead of dasm, otherwise the same approach: makefile + ram injection

I have been experimenting with ram injection too. Do you assemble the file, then send monitor commands to the running instance of VICE (over the tcp port) to load the file and do a jump? This is what I did.

My setup also consist of a generic editor (switching between vim and vscode all the time) and makefiles. I used kickassembler, but the last thing I coded I used c64jasm, a very basic assembler written in javascript, which is extendible with javascript plugins. I would not recommend this to anyone really, but I like it :) Sources: https://github.com/micheldebree/the_hangover

I use VICE and C64Debugger for testing.

I don't code a lot, so a basic setup is enough for me.
2021-07-15 08:23
oziphantom

Relaunch64 + 64tass. Auto complete and it understands the tass commands properly so it expands on blocks etc. And 64tass as it is best in class.

VSCode annoys me as it doesn't understand structure, so its auto complete is "what has come before" which means it thinks TYA should be TAY.

Notepad++ seems to be ok, not sure if it works on Mac though.

... 5 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
psych
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
iceout/Avatar/HF
katon/Lepsi De
tlr
hedning/G★P