Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Need a protection for a onefilter for a birthday intro
2021-08-24 15:45
Dano

Need a protection for a onefilter for a birthday intro

Hey guys,

I'm currently coding on a little birthday intro for an old cracker who turns a certain round figure on friday.

It's just something small and a one-filer (intro).

As a little challenge i would love to protect it somehow before giving it to him. Just to make it a little harder for him to see it. :)

I guess some sort of password protection will be the only feasable thing?

Someone who could provide me with something neat? :)
2021-08-24 17:00
tlr

For a cracker, maybe some "syntax error" in the decruncher code that needs to be fixed?
2021-08-24 17:03
chatGPZ

For a lot of those oldfarts copying the File to an actual Disk and give them that will be enough of a Problem to solve (or use a Tape for extra WTF) =P
2021-08-24 17:19
Krill

New Transwarp crypto might be a little too hard, no? ;) (Could just slightly improve the already-broken old one, though.)

Apart from that, what about something simple like a seemingly empty disk (soft-formatted without disk ID, no dir entry), on top of what tlr and Groepaz suggested? Plus wrong load address, and the original one wouldn't simply be at $0801. =)
2021-08-24 17:25
Dano

Quote: For a lot of those oldfarts copying the File to an actual Disk and give them that will be enough of a Problem to solve (or use a Tape for extra WTF) =P

Hehe, Disc is no problem, he got plenty of drives around.

Tape might be fun though. Yet i know shit about tapes and i REALLY would need to look hard to find a usable on in my stash.. ^^ :D
2021-08-24 17:29
Dano

Quote: New Transwarp crypto might be a little too hard, no? ;) (Could just slightly improve the already-broken old one, though.)

Apart from that, what about something simple like a seemingly empty disk (soft-formatted without disk ID, no dir entry), on top of what tlr and Groepaz suggested? Plus wrong load address, and the original one wouldn't simply be at $0801. =)

Mhh yeah, the new one will be overkill for someone who last cracked stuff like 20-30 years ago. :)

Empty disc and such sounds fun to play around though.

Nice ideas there!

I could be an arse and pack the file with some level-packer from back in the days. Though i then would need to add a loader for fairness. Or no? :D
2021-08-24 17:39
Krill

Quoting Dano
I could be an arse and pack the file with some level-packer from back in the days. Though i then would need to add a loader for fairness. Or no? :D
Probably. :)

But when handing out a disk image, you could also make it G64 and invalidate all relevant block checksums (while leaving the data intact).
2021-08-24 18:07
tlr

Quote: Quoting Dano
Probably. :)

But when handing out a disk image, you could also make it G64 and invalidate all relevant block checksums (while leaving the data intact).

or a .d64 made from a .g64 that was formatted with one id and then had the ID in the BAM block changed. :)
(and have the program check the block id's against the expected formatted ID's.)

I guess that is sort of the same result, but if the program sets the expected ID with an M-W -> $12/$13 there is at least a clue the ID should be different globally. (which can easily be fixed in a .d64)

EDIT: but then it can really be a one-filer. Needs a loader at least.
2021-08-24 18:16
Krill

Quoting tlr
or a .d64 made from a .g64 that was formatted with one id and then had the ID in the BAM block changed. :)
(and have the program check the block id's against the expected formatted ID's.)
All block IDs in a .d64 will simply be identical to the directory's header ID, though. So all block IDs will be lost when down-converting g64 to d64.
2021-08-24 18:29
tlr

Quote: Quoting tlr
All block IDs in a .d64 will simply be identical to the directory's header ID, though. So all block IDs will be lost when down-converting g64 to d64.

That was the point. The .g64 need not exist other than as a hypotetical disk that needs to be recreated in order to run the program.
2021-08-24 18:57
Count Zero

Could think of quite a few sane and insane things - somehow though also depends on the presentation if the cracker actually picks up the challenge, no?

Would you just pass him a disk/tape and tell him to enjoy? Or want to trigger him with a booter program or sumthing alike?
Ask to unprotect the working demo for inet upload (resulting in a freeze crack)? :)
2021-08-24 19:06
Dano

Quote: Could think of quite a few sane and insane things - somehow though also depends on the presentation if the cracker actually picks up the challenge, no?

Would you just pass him a disk/tape and tell him to enjoy? Or want to trigger him with a booter program or sumthing alike?
Ask to unprotect the working demo for inet upload (resulting in a freeze crack)? :)

Guess i will upload the unprotected file here at csdb for you folks to enjoy.

Could add the protected one for funsies then.

But the cracker should have to do something to get his ass cracking again as he tends to postpone it all the time because of #reasons.

But yeah, the protected disc/file. :)
2021-08-25 07:09
Dr.Science

Wasn’t there a program called Copshocker or so? You could password protect your files or so - and can’t really remember how it encrypted the file. Also not sure how hard it is to find the password, It is all so long ago... šŸ˜€
2021-08-25 07:46
hedning

Quote: Wasn’t there a program called Copshocker or so? You could password protect your files or so - and can’t really remember how it encrypted the file. Also not sure how hard it is to find the password, It is all so long ago... šŸ˜€

Cop Shocker V1.2.
2021-08-25 23:00
chancer

I was more surprised they had come back in recent times
2021-08-25 23:00
Comos

Quote: Wasn’t there a program called Copshocker or so? You could password protect your files or so - and can’t really remember how it encrypted the file. Also not sure how hard it is to find the password, It is all so long ago... šŸ˜€

as a password protection I remember also this one :)

Antilamer Coder V1.0
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Holy Moses/Role
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Twoflower/ΤRIΛD
Elder0010/Gā˜…P
zscs
Didi/Laxity