Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > REL files
2022-08-26 10:00
Krill

REL files

... are useless and a waste of DOS ROM space to the detriment of proper seeking in files.

Change my mind! =)

... 9 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2022-08-26 18:01
tlr

Quoting Krill
CBM DOS implements a real filesystem, of course.

Fair enough, but very crude. As you know it's central directory and singly linked list only.

Quoting Krill
And seeking is just a matter of following the block links and having some bookkeeping. :)

Doable, although it consumes a bit of memory drive side. A file could potentially fill the whole disk.
2022-08-26 18:10
Krill

Quoting tlr
Quoting Krill
And seeking is just a matter of following the block links and having some bookkeeping. :)
Doable, although it consumes a bit of memory drive side. A file could potentially fill the whole disk.
But you don't need a list with T/S of each and every file block, more link sync points for each further track the file occupies.
And i guess you can make them sparse (with a fixed maximum memory footprint) for a heavily fragmented file - just takes a bit longer to seek, but then fragmented files are slower than need be anyways.
2022-08-27 23:42
Silver Dream !

Quote: CBM DOS implements a real filesystem, of course.

Aren't REL files exactly about the "bookkeeping" part? ;-)
2022-08-28 09:12
Krill

Quoting Silver Dream !
Aren't REL files exactly about the "bookkeeping" part? ;-)
Sure, but with on-disk overhead (side sectors) and drawbacks (such as having no support for arbitrary binary payload data).

I meant RAM-only dynamic bookkeeping to maintain an index structure.
2022-08-28 23:19
Silver Dream !

Quoting Krill
[…] drawbacks (such as having no support for arbitrary binary payload data).

What do you mean by that? It's been literally decades since I wrote a huge (by C64 means - had to use 1581 almost to the limit) database using only REL files so I might not remember all the problems I had to overcome but I don't recall anything I could fit here. Or do you refer to the fact that one had to "predict" record length once and for all (records)?
2022-08-28 23:30
Silver Dream !

BTW - that reminds me... I was wondering whether we have an established "de facto" standard for flattening REL files, which would preserve enough structure information to allow"deflattening" file back into the REL form?
2022-08-28 23:48
chatGPZ

what about the good old PC64 format? (.R00)
2023-08-31 06:56
doctorfargo

I know that a lot of early text adventure games used REL files because it was faster than SEQ files.
2023-08-31 08:14
tlr

Quote: I know that a lot of early text adventure games used REL files because it was faster than SEQ files.

Haven’t seen that, could you give an example?
2023-09-20 22:45
JeeK

Some of my self-written DB-like applications used the REL file type. Typical address management stuff an so on. If I reminding right a program collection manager too.
The handling is much more complex and more or less error-prone. I think many projects might turn away from REL files in desperation to get it right.
My next generation program collection manager uses a bucket of SEQ files and works with parts of it directly in RAM. This gives a much better performance in handling large datasets ...

A REL file is the closest form of file organization in comparison to other typical (modern) filesystems. At least in sense of positioning to a random location into a file. Alas, some attributes are not easy to obtain, even such basic thing like the file size (but it can be calculated by a binary algorithm). Other things are missing at all, like a current position which could be used for continuous read/write/append of records (bytes or other data block).

But in retrospective I would say the linked blocked file type (PRG, SEQ, USR) are sufficient and very efficient for the typical needs those days. For 99.99 % loading programs this was and is still fine. Applications around databases in any kind was not the core application usage of a C64. But the business lines (PET, CBM II also known as B model line) do also use disk drives with the same or even newer DOS versions having one or other more business-like applications in mind to run on and which benefit from using REL files.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Oxbow/Xenon
AMB/Level 64
sebalozlepsi
iAN CooG/HVSC
JEZ
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught