Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > SEUCK Redux
2008-10-13 22:34
Martin Piper

SEUCK Redux

I've been reading the SEUCK vault pages (http://www.seuck.retrogaming64.com/index.html) and in particular the pages relating to modding SEUCK to improve games. Does anyone think it would be useful if I were to make an open source SEUCK data file player? This way people could take the source code and modify it to add whatever features they liked without having to modify the binary SEUCK code. Also, the data file formats would be fully documented and there is also a good chance that a few SEUCK bugs (like the slow down and sprite flicker) would be fixed in the process. :)

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-10-22 03:08
Martin Piper

The SEUCK Revive tool works really well, thank you for that helpful link. :)
Using the editor I did notice in "proper SEUCK" the big monster just before the vampire cats level gets transferred from the earlier end of level to the start of the next. This is because SEUCK doesn't clear sprites when the previous level is static and the next level is push scrolled, even with a redraw the sprites remain.

When I was testing this level transition with SEUCK Redux I thought it was my bug, but I am relieved to see proper SEUCK reproduce the same bug. :)

You're right there are a few things to finish in Redux, but these are easier problems compared to getting the main game working in a reasonable state.

-Edit- Added two player support, pause/quit and other tweaks.
2008-10-25 19:54
Richard

Nice job Martin :)

I have uploaded Nyaaaah! Resurrection on to my web site. The game uses the redux source, but with some additional ammendments that I made myself to play in game music, etc. You'll find this game here:

http://www.redesign.sk/tnd64/n.html :)

I was going to upload it on to CSDB as a new release. But it is not really worth doing because well. It is SEUCK and people don't want to see the CSDB get over run with SEUCK games eh? ;)
2008-10-26 07:09
wreg
Account closed

ppl just dont want to see cracks of those :-)
2008-10-26 08:54
Richard

Okay. :)
2008-10-28 15:32
Martin Piper

It's always nice to see code get used by someone else. :)
Support for sideways SEUCK files has now been added as well as fixing some bugs related to respawning players. (Latest patch code)

Now the code is mature enough to play whole SEUCK games it gives me a nice easy to use test bed for using the code to create more complex games. The routines are modular enough and generic enough to be able to be used without SEUCK.

Hmm, maybe a horizontal/vertical shooter or platformer. *Thinks...*
2008-10-28 19:18
Richard

Sounds even better Martin.

If the attack waves could be used in a proper horizontal scrolling shoot 'em up (and additional code to generate power ups, big bosses, map scrolling, etc). That would be very handy to record virtual joystick movements for enemies.

I have always wanted to have a bash at a non SEUCK horizontal scrolling SEUCK. Since Sub Hunter, I'm beginning to get even more ambitious. Probably overambitious, knowing me. And in 2009, I am hoping to do a horizontal scrolling shoot 'em up game as my main project ;)
2008-10-30 07:48
Martin Piper

I just wish the designers of the C64 would have added colour memory where the offset could be changed like the char screen. :)
2009-05-10 04:17
Martin Piper

The source for this ( http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:scrolling_and_seuck_file.. ) has been updated to use the VIC sprite collision register, read from the multiplexor, instead of using char based collision detection. This improves upon the collision bug in the original SEUCK where it was possible to have a player sprite (or bullet) covering an enemy and not have any collision detected.
2009-05-10 07:34
LOGAN
Account closed

Although I understand the aversion to seuck from many people I admit I have a soft spot for the thing. I mean even in my noob days I enjoyed much time in creating SEUCK things and although I didn't finish my shoot'em up due to thinking my results were, erm... lame, I think its a great tool to play with. Removing (parts of) the editor, inserting music, I like to think I did it all.

But I love to see improved/enhanced versions of SEUCK. What's next? Intro/menu designer and modular addons? Multiload support with IRQ fastloader? Koala or FLI support? DTV graphics support?

Heck make a point and click adventure game support so I have an easier time to port a few levels of MOTAS.

Keep'em coming!
2009-05-10 13:14
Martin Piper

Well, it's a lot of reusable code that forms a generic game engine, that just happens to be able to play SEUCK data formats. It's how the super spells were added to LotD for example. IRQ loading the level data to allow "SEUCK" games with different level graphics or more attacks waves is very possible. So a large proportion of the code will be used for my next project. :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
The Human Co../Maste..
psych
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Style/Chrome
Apollyon/ALD
MAT64