Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Coding > Visual Studio Syntax Highlighting
2010-04-01 23:13
Mr. Sex

Visual Studio Syntax Highlighting

Hi, Has anyone implemented proper syntax highlighting for 6510 asm in visuals studio (not counting usertype.dat hack)? If so, let me know...

Tatu

... 21 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-11-01 21:00
bepp

Was there ever any update for VS2010? Can't seem to get this to work with 2010?
2010-11-02 23:25
munkey
Account closed

Quoting Mr. Sex
Hi, Has anyone implemented proper syntax highlighting for 6510 asm in visuals studio (not counting usertype.dat hack)? If so, let me know...

It's not Visual Studio, but a while ago I put together a syntax highlighting file for use with Notepad++ (which is a pretty good text editor IMO).

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

The syntax highlighting file is here:

http://munkelo.com/64/userDefineLang.xml

I'll leave it up for a week or so for anybody that may find it useful.
2010-11-03 00:19
Conjuror

Munkey,

You can add it to http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:crossdev "Syntax Highlighting"

I recently made an update to the eclipse asm highlighter for more complete 6502 instructions and kick assembler.

2011-12-19 17:27
Nitro
Account closed

Bump. I've got sick and tired of Crimson Editor and while looking for alternatives I've encountered this thread.
So Pantaloon: could you pretty please release the VS2010 version?
2011-12-19 17:40
Pantaloon

i'll make it available after Datastorm. Need to make a proper package for it.
2011-12-19 18:09
Sorex
Account closed

I don't really care about highlighting that much but if you want a really speedy editor that doesn't need an install nor mess around with files/folders/registry you should try out Notepad2 (free).

A more blown alternative is PSPad (free), and can be configured for custom language/machines (compiler/highlighting) like c64/nes/videopac etc or you can just launch a makefile in the project folder that skips emulator launching when compilation failed, it's flexible enough.

PSPad triggers compiling with ctrl-F9 which was also the compile key for Turbo/Borland Pascal & Alab(80x86 asm) IDE's so you get an extra retro feeling with it ;)

VS is deadslow in launching on my laptop so I gently skip that one.

but as with food, you can't discuss taste :)
2011-12-19 20:19
bepp

Notepad++ with some config is also pretty OK.

Syntax highlighting is fine but what I really miss is a clickable list of the labels in the code so I can quickly navigate between them. But I guess this would require a little more than just syntax highlighting? =)

There is also the WUDSN IDE which is probably one of the more competent and full-blown C64 IDEs out there. See WUDSN IDE: Integrate ACME or Kickassembler or ...
2012-01-20 12:52
johncl

When I discovered KickAssembler I also started making my own IDE in Java with syntax hilighting and opcode help.

I dont know how I feel about releasing this as it has a serious bug now and then with copy/paste... syntax hilighting stuff break the whole document object and the VM goes into a nasty bug that kills the whole source file! :) - Its been a while since I have worked on it so its probably an easy fix but nothing I am prepared to do right now. Knowing that I would hate having the source wiped out suddenly it saves a backup of every file you save in a backup directory for the project.

The toolbar is a simple launcher that runs external tools configured for chars and sprites and I have also built my own sprite editor in the IDE which isnt quite finished yet, as well as a map designer based on charmaps which has serious limitations and was really build for a game project of my own. I guess my idea was to make it pluggable so that people could make their own modules (in Java) for different file types so whatever file you choose from the project list would run the module you had configured for that inside the IDE. It also has a simple SID previewer using a Java sid player.

I think its coolest feature is the little Help window that continuously shows help for the instruction at the current line, scissored straight out of the Reference Guide. It also lists the location of each label in the editor after a compile (only works if they are not in scopes atm).

I also tinkered with a Tester function which basically is a 6502 assembly parser so you can test out algorithms without launching them in Vice, and you can step through the code and see whats happening with the registers and memory. Its not complete however.

I have a gazillion things I'd love to do with it including a charmap editor and graphics scratchpad for prototyping where you could also scissor out sprites and chars as well. And naturally if I had endless time I'd do a SID tracker as well. :)

Lately I discovered the nice usability of Exomizer and would like to integrate that also in the compile cycle as an option.

A simple D64 mastering tool would also be nice so I could configure exactly which binaries and data files goes on a disk.

I will consider releasing this one day when I feel its releasable... :)
2012-01-20 13:13
Skate

@johncl: Screenshots look awesome. I hope you finish the project one day (and release it of course :)).
2012-01-20 13:30
Mr. SID

For D64 mastering you can use c1541 (part of VICE) which can be controlled non-interactively through command-line options.

Try something like this:
c1541 -format "diskname,id" d64 output.d64 -write file.prg -write datafile.bin

I prefer cc1541 with my own modifications, but I think there's only an old version available on here. For starters, c1541 will do.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Rico/Pretzel Logic
iceout/Avatar/HF
kbs/Pht/Lxt
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Dwangi/Fairlight