Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #2526 : Intro Creation Competition 2016
2016-11-01 15:20
Didi

Event id #2526 : Intro Creation Competition 2016

Sorry for skipping this event last year, but life is life and I simply would not have had the time to host this event in a proper way.

So finally X 2016 is over and the big productions are out. So maybe you are in the mood for a smaller project.

Competition runs from November 1st, 2016, until January 3rd, 2017. So you have a full 2 months to deliver your creations. This should be enough for an intro.

Please use this thread for questions, discussion and everything else concerning this competition.

THE RULES (same as in 2014, worked very well):
- Has to work on a plain stock C64 (PAL standard) without any extensions.
- Has to be a one-part intro. Fade-ins and fade-outs are OK.
- Has to contain at least one Logo at whatever size you like.
- Has to contain a changing or moving text message (e.g. scrolling text, different lines fading in & out, etc.)
- Has to contain music (not just a humming sound, please).
- Maximum RAM usage is $4000 bytes at one block, at whatever location you like. Screen RAM counts as used memory. Exclusions are system addresses like VIC (inkl. Color RAM), SID, CIA, Stack, Zero-page, IRQ vectors.
- Has to be interruptable any time by pressing SPACE-key (exception are fade-in and fade-out).
- Graphics, charsets and music do not need to be exclusive, but the code should be! So no reuse of existing code with just exchanged graphics and music.
- Intros may not have been used before entering the competition.
- Entries must be handed in as executable format startable with RUN (.prg or embedded in .t64 or .d64).
- Max. 3 entries per participant. Entries might be taken back from the compo until deadline. That means if you want to remove one of your works from the compo to make space for another entry from you, this can be done until deadline.

Deadline for entry submission is January 3rd, 2017 at 23:59:59 (11:59:59 pm) CET.
Voting closes at Sunday January 8th, 2017 at 23:59:59 (11:59:59 pm) CET.
Voting platform is CSDb (with all disadvantages it may have), therefore entries have to be posted here.
Entries will be ranked by weighted average of CSDb votes. Entries with the same weighted average are ranked by their percentages of 10s, 9s, etc.

No prices to win, just the fame. May the best creation win!

... 274 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-01-06 17:40
Smasher

nice long discussion. Oswald, pleez pass me some of those popcorns!
so... ICC2016 gone - where's DOTY2017?
:)
2017-01-06 18:38
T.M.R
Account closed

Quoting Jailbird
Yes, that would make sense, if...

- the compo would be anonymous, by what I mean no credits displayed, so it would be free of namevoting (sure, this wouldn't be foolproof since the group names would be there, but still)

Most of us have a recognisable "style", so even if we went to extremes where every logo said "Anonymous" and the scrolltext was Lorem Ipsum there'd still be ways to work out whose work it was... even assuming you can persuade a group of sceners to keep their collective gobs shut for the entire duration of the competition. =-)

Quoting Jailbird
But I couldn't care less about the rankings, as they seem highly influenced by various social affairs and timing.

i'm not entirely sure that isn't to some degree true of any scene competition though...?

Quoting Jailbird
I don't really understand in what way could that boost anyone's ego, but maybe I'm just naive.

[Shrugs] We're all different; some people are mature enough not to need it like you, others are emotional car crashes waiting to happen like me and the rest probably sit somewhere between those points. =-)
2017-01-06 19:39
jailbird

Quoting T.M.R
Most of us have a recognisable "style",

Well then I'm probably quite bad at recognizing styles, as by the visuals/audials alone, I'd never guess 100% correctly the people involved in the current top 10 intros (except the graphician in New Year's Resolution) :)

Quoting T.M.R
so even if we went to extremes where every logo said "Anonymous" and the scrolltext was Lorem Ipsum there'd still be ways to work out whose work it was... even assuming you can persuade a group of sceners to keep their collective gobs shut for the entire duration of the competition. =-)

At least it would somewhat reduce the votes which are directed to particular persons' traits instead of the actual quality of their releases.

Quoting T.M.R
i'm not entirely sure that isn't to some degree true of any scene competition though...?

Certainly, but I'd rather participate in a contest where those elements are much less influential factors than they are on CSDb compos. A huge network of friends and fans is a vast advantage which sometimes can't be matched by talent only. Anonymity solves that to a certain extent.
2017-01-06 19:57
Hein

:) Fans, thanks! Friends, thanks! Others, fuck you!

When we have the results in a few days, would that be much different compared to using a voting-system such as the c64.sk music compos? I doubt it.
2017-01-06 21:14
jailbird

Quoting Hein
When we have the results in a few days, would that be much different compared to using a voting-system such as the c64.sk music compos? I doubt it.

Right, probably the same releases in the top 10-15 just in different order. But a voting system similar to C64.sk's would significantly discourage the manipulative/scheming voting behavior, and there would be a more realistic order on the leading places.

I don't really get it. If the participants' only motivation is just to reach a high rank and not to win the actual compo, then why are some people bringing up the faulty voting system at all? As it doesn't really influences the highest positions.

But if the point of the compo is to win it, then isn't it more uplifting to reach the top in a way which is the least prone to ill will?

Well, whatever whatever tingles your jingles.
2017-01-06 21:23
ChristopherJam

Quoting TheRyk
Like Hein, Mixer and others already said in other words: Let's just be glad or even a little proud of what scene (as a community! fucking around with 8 bit stuff as a hobby!) was capable of doing within a few months in an X year, and let me finish with stating quality and quantity are a blast!

^^Yes, this!

Thanks again for organising, Didi
2017-01-07 09:56
Dr.Science

I'm with Mermaid: NTSC compatibility would be nice :-)
But I understand, that it might lead to less entries. Also because this is an "Intro Competition" and not a "Crack Intro Compo".
Anyway, great Compo Didi!
2017-01-07 14:44
Krill

Quoting Mermaid
The only thing I'd change would be to add an NTSC compatibility requrement ;)
Including sub-requirements:
* Same aspect ratio (pixel aspect ratios are different)
* Same tonal scales and pitch (SID clocking is different)
* Same scroller and transition speeds (video frame rates are different)

;)

But seriously, NTSC compatibility is required for _actual_ intros, so seems sensible for a compo like this. It further restricts what can be done, mind (re: unpossible NTSC fix of Turrican). :D
2017-01-09 06:49
Hein

Congrats Vanja. Thanks to Didi, the participants and supporters. :)
2017-01-09 08:05
Axis/Oxyron

Thanks to Didi and everyone participating. This compo was awesome. 53 intros, wow. Grats to Mermaid and Hein.
Previous - 1 | ... | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | ... | 29 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cobbpg
csabanw
MAT64
Elder0010/G★P
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Airwolf/F4CG