Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #2643 : Plain PETSCII Graphics Competition 2017
2017-10-15 17:21
Smasher

Event id #2643 : Plain PETSCII Graphics Competition 2017

question for the organizers:
in wild petscii compo you say it's allowed to use ECM. but with ECM only the first 64 chars are useable, so basically only letters and numbers. that sux.
so is it possible to pick up any chars you like from the CBM font and copy them into a new charset in the first 64 positions? or that's against all the rules on Earth?

... 48 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-12-03 20:00
chancer

I just don't like the motives behind some of the voting, thats all.. much like some parties where you think a weaker entry got a higher score because of beer goggles or something. it's not a new thing, had it years ago with hektic, and folks claiming a #1 and suppressing the version we did, yet begging for the original themselves..lol
2017-12-03 22:00
Oswald

I agree, the results are pretty mixed. Results looks like party voting.
2017-12-04 15:04
spider-j

I tripple checked the results / votings file. Didn't find any chancer or Oswald in the list of people who voted. I guess you both must have used another handle then or my eyes are playing tricks on me?

Anyway: if you really want to have an in-depth discussion why someone voted what, it'd be easier if you just point it out directly. Shouldn't be that much of a problem with public votes.
2017-12-05 14:11
TheRyk

I don't really see what's dramatic. If we only take public CSDb votes, I agree, there's a very different outcome, but not even all entries GOT 5 public votes. And if we look at CSDb votes (all voters) we currently find the same 5 entries in top 5 than in the final results - only with 3 and 4 changed.

Of course the no. of votes wasn't very high, and BECAUSE of the low figure of votes, every single vote had a lot of weight. But spider's got a point, not voting and then frowning about votes, is... a little like... errrhm... like staying in bed on election day and then complain about BrExit/government.

Maybe next time there'll be a totally different way of voting or I just take CSDb votes like many standalone competition do and which will result in drama, anyway? *shrug*
2017-12-05 15:35
lft

I for one appreciate the voting system. It's fun to review the entries on real hardware and spend a little time on making a fair judgement. I'd rather have a few sincere votes based on what the entries are supposed to look like, than a bunch of sloppy CSDb ratings based on screenshots. Well, I exaggerate, but you get the point.

That being said, there are a couple of areas where the voting engine could be improved. First of all, it would be nice if the votings-file could be loaded at startup if it exists. That way, you can go back and review your votes the next day, for instance.

Second, it should be possible to create/edit your personal top 5 from within the program.

Third, the names of the entries should be shown in the program. Currently only numbers are used, and this is annoying and a potential source of errors.

Fourth, and this is icing on the cake, how about thumbnails? It would be great in order to review one's votes without having to reload all the files. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a very simple black-or-white affair with one pixel per char, batch-converted from the entries.

But overall I'm very happy that there is a native voting system at all. Good job!
2017-12-05 17:42
chatGPZ

there should also be an option to randomize the votes
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
Krill/Plush
CreaMD/React
Mason/Unicess
psych
Guests online: 310