Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #164858 : VICE 3.2
2018-05-20 12:20
chatGPZ

Release id #164858 : VICE 3.2

So, finally, we pushed it out. The GTK3 port isn't 100% done yet, but usable enough for testing it. It has a couple known issues and open ends - which are listed here: http://vice-emu.pokefinder.org/index.php/Todo#GTK3_UI - grab experimental binaries here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/files/experimental%20..

Due to the massive amount of features, we need help with testing the damn thing, especially on platforms other than linux.

It would also be great if those who offered to set up nightly builds for OSX would step up and do it :)

... 23 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-11-27 17:29
Endurion

That could be the same issue that's plagueing me as well with the new VICE.

After every bigger Windows update I have to re-run it with admin rights once. I couldn't find out why that problem persists. A bug has been filed for this.
2018-11-29 22:17
Radiant

Regarding helping out; I've spent a couple of hours in total looking at the VICE sources aiming to fix a specific issue or another, but like with any sophisticated software project that's been in development for a while it's by now a rather large system of components, with a lot of technical "history" (debt). If you dive into it with the mindset of "just going to fix this one thing" then you're quite likely to give up rather quickly. I think you need to have a mindset of "now I'm going to start understanding VICE" rather than "now I'm going to fix [bug x]", because the former mindset will be more immediately rewarding.

And regarding this specific issue: When I ran into it a couple of months ago (yes, I've been quite busy with non-C64 things) I checked the bug tracker, and it looked like the problem was already being actively addressed by people with more insight into both VICE and the SID than I have, so I decided not to bother.

Should this change have gone into a a release to begin with? Ideally no; it wasn't ready by a stretch, but hey, shit happens. And while I as a user completely share the frustration over this rather sudden and hard to motivate regression, I think we'd also do good to remember the old devise: Beggars can't be choosers.
2018-11-29 23:04
chatGPZ

what would really help: make small test programs that play a single note which then comes out wrong. ie triggers the bug. iterate through various filter setups, voices, waveforms. it is close to impossible to debug anything when your testcase is a tune "which sounds wrong at 1:42".
2018-11-30 07:10
Radiant

I might do that if I can find the time (a rather scarce commodity at the moment). What do you mean specifically with "iterate through various filter setups, voices, waveforms"? To create a test program for every such combination that the programmer can think of that sounds wrong, or to be able to catch new regressions in unrelated/ok sounding parts of the SID introduced by fixing an existing one?

In my mind the latter could make a lot of sense, as a set of generic test programs in a regression test suite, but then we'd need to establish what'd be a good catch-all subset of the parameter combos. If we're going for something naïve then we're talking about a hell of a lot* of test cases, but even with a
subset of those that would maybe only be manageable with some sort of FFT based automated approach?

* Iterate over all waveforms on all combinations of voices, including controlled tests of sync bit + ring mod, for each waveform iteration, iterate over all filter combinations over all the voices, for each filter iteration, iterate over all the combinations of extreme values for cutoff and resonance, for each iteration over cutoff and resonance, iterate over a set of predetermined volume changes, and for each iteration over volume changes iterate over a set of pulse width extremes -- I think that should cover most of it, with some additional tests for line in?
2018-11-30 13:13
chatGPZ

yes

=D

you see, the problem isnt only choosing what to test... for a start having those things that definately sound wrong would be good. perhaps including recordings of what it should sound like. we need to find out about the edge cases, so we know what to fix (and by we i mean leandro, i dont understand the resid code at all =P)

one big problem, unfortunately, is that we have no way to actually compare the output with the "correct" output other than by ear, especially when the filters are enabled :(

edit: you could also chime in on the bugtracker and ask leandro for what he'd like tests for. he can even write them IF you tell whats wrong and what isnt.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
Matt
Pushead/Hokuto Force
hedning/G★P
sln.pixelrat
t0m3000/ibex-crew