Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #165554 : Tacky +2HD
2018-06-18 19:39
O'Dog

Release id #165554 : Tacky +2HD

Always the same old discussion about what has to be credited as "crack". Even more confusing CSDb now uses different definitions for credits and release type.

There have been a lot of games which never had a protection and claimed to be cracked by someone (even by well known "real" crackers who were able to break protections). Do you plan to verify every crack entry if the original it was made from had a protetion to crack? Have a lot of fun with that.

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-06-18 21:18
hedning

The credit "Crack" is a credit. It shows if someone actually cracked something or not i.e. a protection. If the person trained something, add that. If he or she linked something, add that. It's the fine spectrum of an entry. Thus: just add "crack" as a credit if something was actually cracked, i.e. made copyable, copy protection removed.

The entry definition "Crack" is an umbrella definition to be able to run this database: It is a definition of a program or game that was cracked, manipulated, or released as a crack, with just added trainers or whatever.
2018-06-18 22:58
O'Dog

Hell, it's your database. Tag the stuff as you like.
But it is not faithful to C64 scene tradition. Just to have that mentioned.
If you wnat it that fine I request "Hi-Saver" and "Level-Packing" credits. Otherwise there is no proper way to credit such things. "Crack" was fine for all kind of manipulation like hi-savers, different loading system, level-packing, one-filing or whatever. So you make things more complicated with the new definition IMO.
2018-06-18 23:08
hedning

Quote: Hell, it's your database. Tag the stuff as you like.
But it is not faithful to C64 scene tradition. Just to have that mentioned.
If you wnat it that fine I request "Hi-Saver" and "Level-Packing" credits. Otherwise there is no proper way to credit such things. "Crack" was fine for all kind of manipulation like hi-savers, different loading system, level-packing, one-filing or whatever. So you make things more complicated with the new definition IMO.

It's our database, not mine. Thus, I will forward your requests to Perff. If it's anyone's database, it's his. Don't shoot the messenger.
2018-06-18 23:19
O'Dog

Easiest way would be to accept the usage of the "crack by" credit as is. It was used "wrong" for a lot of years now and from the release itself you need an old crack-dog to know if the original was protected or not. Some games were released in different compilations, with protection and without. Crackers often credited themselves for cracking if they just linked an intro, so it would require lot of investigation to check out what was really done to a game. I doubt that many uploaders have the knowledge for that.
2018-06-18 23:24
hedning

O'Dog: Still, you know what you cracked and not, so your entries should be easy to correct, yes? It would be a good start, and the point of this discussion in the first place. You will not see crack credits in GP, Ons, Triad or Excess releases if nothing was cracked, for example.

I am not pointing this out as an attack on you or LXT, I just try to start somewhere, and contemporary cracks seemed like a great start, as we often know if there was a copy protection or not. I actually started as some other users of CSDb pointed this out.
2018-06-19 04:27
chatGPZ

who cares how csdb calls it anyway - what matters is what they call it on the top5 elite BBSs!
2018-06-19 07:00
Goat

Quoting hedning
You will not see crack credits in GP, ... if nothing was cracked, for example.

I'm just curious: so these games for example really had a protection that needed to be cracked?

Chain Reaction
Plop
Catch 2 +2
Or this preview? Balla Balla Preview
2018-06-19 07:21
hedning

The two first ones were cracked from tape originals, if I remember correctly, yes. The older GP cracks were added to the database by others long ago, but I will correct them when I find them. Perhaps you could find more? Thanks for pointing them out.
2018-06-19 07:36
O'Dog

Why invent new rules? It is C64 scene tradition to call everything changed to an original game "cracking", protected or not (ask CZ). People I spotted nitpicking about that were demo sceners or new sceners who don't know or don't care about tradition.
Calling the installation of a hi-saver simply "linking" does not reflect the work done either. Please just respect tradition and leave it as is. It is easier to have such an "umbrella credit" than adding special credit for everything a cracker might have done to a game. No uploader will examine the details anyway.
2018-06-19 08:04
hedning

Quote: Why invent new rules? It is C64 scene tradition to call everything changed to an original game "cracking", protected or not (ask CZ). People I spotted nitpicking about that were demo sceners or new sceners who don't know or don't care about tradition.
Calling the installation of a hi-saver simply "linking" does not reflect the work done either. Please just respect tradition and leave it as is. It is easier to have such an "umbrella credit" than adding special credit for everything a cracker might have done to a game. No uploader will examine the details anyway.

As I said I have forwarded the request to add "highscore saver" and more stuff to the credits choices so that one can point out what has been done, but still the specific credit "crack" should be chosen if a copy protection was indeed cracked, as that is what "crack" means.

I don't get why you are fighting this. I have added well over 10.000 entries to this database for the last 10 years, and have only seen a broad understandment about this. This is actually the first time there is such an energy in defending a wrongly specified credit. Do you really want to be credited for cracking something when there was no cracking involved? People will keep on laughing.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jmin
Guests online: 368
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)