Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #165554 : Tacky +2HD
2018-06-18 19:39
O'Dog

Release id #165554 : Tacky +2HD

Always the same old discussion about what has to be credited as "crack". Even more confusing CSDb now uses different definitions for credits and release type.

There have been a lot of games which never had a protection and claimed to be cracked by someone (even by well known "real" crackers who were able to break protections). Do you plan to verify every crack entry if the original it was made from had a protetion to crack? Have a lot of fun with that.

... 15 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-06-19 07:36
O'Dog

Why invent new rules? It is C64 scene tradition to call everything changed to an original game "cracking", protected or not (ask CZ). People I spotted nitpicking about that were demo sceners or new sceners who don't know or don't care about tradition.
Calling the installation of a hi-saver simply "linking" does not reflect the work done either. Please just respect tradition and leave it as is. It is easier to have such an "umbrella credit" than adding special credit for everything a cracker might have done to a game. No uploader will examine the details anyway.
2018-06-19 08:04
hedning

Quote: Why invent new rules? It is C64 scene tradition to call everything changed to an original game "cracking", protected or not (ask CZ). People I spotted nitpicking about that were demo sceners or new sceners who don't know or don't care about tradition.
Calling the installation of a hi-saver simply "linking" does not reflect the work done either. Please just respect tradition and leave it as is. It is easier to have such an "umbrella credit" than adding special credit for everything a cracker might have done to a game. No uploader will examine the details anyway.

As I said I have forwarded the request to add "highscore saver" and more stuff to the credits choices so that one can point out what has been done, but still the specific credit "crack" should be chosen if a copy protection was indeed cracked, as that is what "crack" means.

I don't get why you are fighting this. I have added well over 10.000 entries to this database for the last 10 years, and have only seen a broad understandment about this. This is actually the first time there is such an energy in defending a wrongly specified credit. Do you really want to be credited for cracking something when there was no cracking involved? People will keep on laughing.
2018-06-19 08:42
O'Dog

It seems you don't get my point: I think you (the moderators) are overdoing with too detailed credits on cracks. Only few will figure out what a cracker exactly did with the game without digging too deep. I'd compare it with crediting each shown effect in a demo to a special coder in CSDb credits, e.g. "vectors by", "mega-dycp by". Got me? That's why I opt to stay with the general credit "crack" and done. Just want to keep life easier for you and the uploaders: Upload a crack, the one who did it is credited for "crack" and maybe "trainer", finished, next.
Only few whiners and nitpickers really care if there had been some protection to crack. Go read the scrolltext or note for more detailed credits and hope they tell the truth. Invite those nitpickers to ckeck the 75.000+ cracks in CSDb and add detailed credits if they have nothing better to do.
2018-06-19 09:21
Raistlin

Just to add my own 2c here.

Back in the 80s/90s I did a few cracks myself and I can tell you that, at least with the swappers that I dealt with, expectations were high. We didn't simply link an intro on the front of a game and call it a crack, that's for sure - I'm sure that some groups did but, well, those groups would largely be ridiculed for that in others' scrolltexts, in the disk mags etc.

Some releases may have been mislabelled where there were, for example, improvements made to the loading system of a game - eg. where IFFL was added... but definitely no proper crackers would claim to have cracked a game where all they needed to do was to copy a file from disk, pack it and link an intro on the front.

I know the scene was rough on crackers as I screwed up a release and was flamed for it (Indiana Jones .. I was the only member of the team that could do multi-load cracks at the time .. sadly, I didn't notice that there was a graphics glitch on level 2 caused by my changes).

So yeah, Hedning is right, "proper" cracks would need to actually be cracks.
2018-06-19 10:00
Slator

well, honestly, a "crack" was just a label for a game release by a cracker group, may it have actually been cracked in the sense of protection disableing or just intro linking.

The term "cracked by" was more like "work done by", whatever you did. It was just a standard term used. Some people wrote "released by" sometimes, I did that for some Game On/Magic Disk games as I didnt "crack" them, but that is nitpicking.

If you are bored then get a life and maybe not redo every entry for just nitpicking over others, there are not many people out there caring for such info me thinks :D

People who actually have a clue and/or a cracker background will most likely know which games were protected and which not.

I don't see a point in doing this work.
2018-06-19 10:14
hedning

Spending energy on making this database better and more accurate is what you should do here. That is the main purpose having an account here. I am only interested in the accuracy of the database. It's not about scene politics and/or anything else. I am not attacking other groups or anything else.

My interest here lies in to be as exact as possible, and the credits is the key to that. It's a lot of work to "correct" entries, but that is what this place is all about. I have spent 10 years here, uploading and researching >10.000 releases. Instead of spending energy on modern day scene politics and stuff, helping the database grow and be more accurate is what people should spend their energy on here, in my view.
2018-06-19 10:24
Didi

I support what O'Dog and Slator pointed out. You can overdo accuracy. You can also transfer whole detailed credits for e.g. Comaland from the note for each part like O'Dog mentioned, but would that make sense?

Slator had the right words for it IMO:
The term "cracked by" was more like "work done by", whatever you did. It was just a standard term used.

That should be enough for a CSDb entry. For me the current credit "Crack" is good as is, no change or extension needed. To be used as Slator wrote.
2018-06-19 10:45
hedning

Quote: I support what O'Dog and Slator pointed out. You can overdo accuracy. You can also transfer whole detailed credits for e.g. Comaland from the note for each part like O'Dog mentioned, but would that make sense?

Slator had the right words for it IMO:
The term "cracked by" was more like "work done by", whatever you did. It was just a standard term used.

That should be enough for a CSDb entry. For me the current credit "Crack" is good as is, no change or extension needed. To be used as Slator wrote.

One could also check Tacky+2HD intro scroll: It mentions no credit for cracking. But it do credit trainer, hi-saver, bug-fix and linking. Just wanted to point that out.

And if accuracy and research is not what this place is about, we should lift out the archive, and just keep the forum and quasi facebook debates. I'm dead tired of debating people who fight wind mills. The energy should be put into making this archive better every day. If people in here have the attitude: "get a life" and "what does it matter", go to IRC or other places and rant there.
2018-06-19 11:42
O'Dog

Debating this with you is infact fighting windmills, because you don't get my point: Keep it simple and keep detail to a level that makes sense. You will not find that detailed credits everywhere. It has nothing to do if I have really "cracked" something or not. It is just the common standard phrase from scene history for what ever a cracker has done... but if CSDb really wants to invent the wheel again... so be it!
2018-06-19 17:26
chatGPZ

so after over 20 years you find out that csdb names some things different than what your personal pet theory calls them?

GOOD WORK

at the end it doesnt even really matter. what matters is that everyone uses the same rules and naming schemes - not what exactly those rules are. deal with it.

and as others said already... it doesnt really clash with "traditions" either. even in 1985 ppl called things "cracks" where nothing was cracked in the first place. and even in 1985 ppl using "linking" and "packing" (the later even was a discipline of its own for a while). that YOU didnt do it doesnt really matter.

if only the energy in this thread had been put into making a release that is even worth such a thread.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Whizzy/Hack n' Trade
Perff/No Name
Mr.Ice
zscs
Mason/Unicess
Scrap/Genesis Project