Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user kemist ! (Registered 2018-10-19) You are not logged in 
CSDb User Forums


Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #166930 : Yoomp!64 +3PD
2018-08-02 23:35
hedning

Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 1769
Release id #166930 : Yoomp!64 +3PD

Moved the discussion to the place for discussions. :)

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 2 August 2018
Backup board is invoked if one of the main boards is down during the whole 24h. How would it make sense otherwise? If Reflections was down one hour 03 in the morning just when you tried to upload your crack, the rest of the groups wouldn't notice, and lose just because one board was down for some time during the 24h. 24h rule must mean 24h. If one board is gone for 24h, the backup board goes into effect. That is logical to me. Especially as the race isn't over until 24h have passed.

If two or three (our four?) boards all have hickups during the 24h you mean there are no boards to be counted? Your view of the rules does not make sense. I will count the boards and the releases after 24h have passed. That will show who won the race.

User Comment
Submitted by Jazzcat [PM] on 2 August 2018
We were first on all boards and sites initially. During that time both Antidote and The Hidden were down, according to the rules, the backup site RapidFire is then invoked and we were first there (and Reflections) thus we were first on the majority of boards using the 24 hour rule. Regards. Note: you cannot re-invoke downed boards. When they are down, backup is in play.

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 2 August 2018
Antidote and The Hidden were down for some time, but came up within the counted 24h when we tried to upload our crack, and we were able to be first on both. We also went with Reflections and the backup BBS Rapidfire, even if the latter is a bit redundant, as we already were first on 2 out of 3 counted boards within the counted 24h. Cheers!
 
... 144 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....
 
2018-08-10 07:37
hedning

Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 1769
Wait. What? So the cracking scene and its rules should be made to fit people’s working hours? Why is that even a factor in this?
2018-08-10 08:19
Raistlin

Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
Will overtime points be awarded for releasing cracks outside of office hours? 2x points would make sense. And 1.5 at peak times.
2018-08-10 09:17
Jazzcat

Registered: Feb 2002
Posts: 958
Quote: Wait. What? So the cracking scene and its rules should be made to fit people’s working hours? Why is that even a factor in this?

no, but if a bbs is down, peak or off peak then fallback should be used for a majority ruling.
2018-08-10 10:54
Raistlin

Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
Quote: no, but if a bbs is down, peak or off peak then fallback should be used for a majority ruling.

That's possibly the craziest thing I've heard on this thread so far... it makes no sense. It opens the whole system up to a huge amount of abuse and cheating.

As I said before, choose BBS's that you trust and that are well maintained. They shouldn't normally be down for long - if they are, they shouldn't be on the preferred list.
2018-08-10 11:03
Jazzcat

Registered: Feb 2002
Posts: 958
Quote: That's possibly the craziest thing I've heard on this thread so far... it makes no sense. It opens the whole system up to a huge amount of abuse and cheating.

As I said before, choose BBS's that you trust and that are well maintained. They shouldn't normally be down for long - if they are, they shouldn't be on the preferred list.


it hasn't done so far. but will go over this and other rules as previously mentioned.
2018-08-10 11:16
Raistlin

Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
Well it arguably just has ... putting the version issue aside (pre-release, v0.99, demo, preview, whatever), there was also an argument earlier about whether G*P or Onslaught were first.

Onslaught weren't able to upload to the preferred boards within the 24 hours.. G*P were.

The issue of course being that the Propaganda rules have now changed - or "had their definition clarified".

I don't see the point in opening a system up for abuse just for the sake of gaining points on a single release ;-)
2018-08-10 11:17
Raistlin

Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
But anyway, I'll leave this now ... better things to do - and it feels like common sense, this time, isn't going to prevail...
2018-08-10 11:28
Raistlin

Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
"UPDATE 04.08.2018: Clarifications for the uninitiated: this includes the "fallback board" if other "counted boards" are offline.

The reason we don't wait for boards to be back up is that people can control the boards (pulling those strings!) - bringing them down at leisure and then bringing them up when they want (how convenient! let's make everyone have one leg while we run on two!). The race to the counted "Online" boards as first resolves this 'manipulative little trick'."

^^^ as I say, if you can't trust the BBS', don't put them on the preferred list. It's as simple as that. The simpler the rules are the better.
2018-08-10 13:10
hedning

Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 1769
Quote: "UPDATE 04.08.2018: Clarifications for the uninitiated: this includes the "fallback board" if other "counted boards" are offline.

The reason we don't wait for boards to be back up is that people can control the boards (pulling those strings!) - bringing them down at leisure and then bringing them up when they want (how convenient! let's make everyone have one leg while we run on two!). The race to the counted "Online" boards as first resolves this 'manipulative little trick'."

^^^ as I say, if you can't trust the BBS', don't put them on the preferred list. It's as simple as that. The simpler the rules are the better.


In the Propaganda rules we will instead delete cheating boards from the list of counted bords. Easy as that. Will post the updated propa rules tonight.
2018-08-10 13:16
Raistlin

Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 110
I find it mightily strange that The List is effectively saying that they don't trust the owners of the BBS' that they use for calculating their scores. That's either a very strange position to be in... or an excuse that can be pulled out at will.
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Moloch/TRIAD
Core/(VPN)
Guests online: 26
Top Demos
1 Uncensored  (9.7)
2 Comaland 100%  (9.7)
3 Edge of Disgrace  (9.7)
4 Coma Light 13  (9.6)
5 The Shores of Reflec..  (9.6)
6 Wonderland XII  (9.6)
7 Lunatico  (9.6)
8 We Come in Peace  (9.6)
9 Incoherent Nightmare  (9.5)
10 Wonderland XIII  (9.5)
Top onefile Demos
1 FMX Music Demo  (9.6)
2 Daah, Those Acid Pil..  (9.6)
3 Arok 20 Invitation  (9.6)
4 Merry Xmas 2017  (9.5)
5 Pandemoniac Part 2 o..  (9.5)
6 Party Horse  (9.4)
7 Dawnfall V1.1  (9.4)
8 In Memoriam BHF  (9.4)
9 Dawnfall  (9.4)
10 Synthesis  (9.4)
Top Groups
1 Oxyron  (9.4)
2 Booze Design  (9.4)
3 Censor Design  (9.4)
4 Finnish Gold  (9.3)
5 Crest  (9.3)
Top Mega Swappers
1 Aslive  (9.3)
2 R.C.S.  (9.3)
3 Dishy  (9.2)
4 Nightshade  (9.1)
5 Calypso  (9.0)

Home - Disclaimer
Copyright © No Name 2001-2018
Page generated in: 0.052 sec.