Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #174887 : Mothers creation
2019-02-05 07:56
Grue

Release id #174887 : Mothers creation

Whoever changes this entry name over an over again to Mothers Creation, please stop. Name of the entry is Mothers creation.

Thank you

... 47 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-02-05 14:02
Count Zero

Go ahead and edit - aka as you like.
Being the a-holes we are we surely will check back on it.
2019-02-05 14:12
Mixer

This is philosophically interesting issue.

Has to do with authors rights, and do we extend same courtesy to commercial companies as to individuals.

This is also language issue. In Finnish language for instance, only the first letter of the first word in the title is to capitalized, and that is a rule. Capitalization of any word elsewhere in the text except the first of sentence also changes the semantics of the word.

In English the rules seem to be complicated, some stuff can be capitalized and other stuff not, and many publications seem to see this as a style issue, not language issue.

Application of those style rules seems to be what really is going on here.
2019-02-05 14:27
chatGPZ

Which of the 7 different styles is to be used on csdb though? :)

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.
2019-02-05 15:33
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Title case is hardly ever used for publications in Europe or any other part of the world, except for North America. Even in the UK it's hardly ever used for publications.

Personally I think it is important to not only preserve software, but also how the title is actually written by the publisher. CSDb should not (silently) change this, it does not fit CSDb's philosophy: "[...] preserving as much information as possible on everything concerning the C64 Scene." when you remove / change the original title.
2019-02-05 19:44
Jammer

What Mr Ammo said. Title is part of a product after all - CSDb is database, not a publisher with rights ;)
2019-02-05 22:01
Copyfault

Quoting Mr Ammo
[...]
Personally I think it is important to not only preserve software, but also how the title is actually written by the publisher. CSDb should not (silently) change this, it does not fit CSDb's philosophy: "[...] preserving as much information as possible on everything concerning the C64 Scene." when you remove / change the original title.

+10^10000000

On the one hand the c64 scene as part of the whole demo scene thingy is usually discribed as "digital art" - on the other hand we do see a discussion here about how to correctly write out a product's name... sorry, I don't really get that: someone doing stuff for the c64 should also have the right to give his artwork any name *plus* it should be his decision wether the specific spelling of that name is part of the artwork itself.

I faintly remember a discussion here about some grammar/spelling mistakes in scrollers. Someone dared to ask if this should be corrected, but (luckily!!!) the majority tended to not change anything for the sake of preservation.

Back to formality: what is the advantage of auto-casing the names of the releases?

Sorry for intervening.
Cheers - Copyfault
2019-02-05 22:12
Shine

Indeed, the name/title of an _own_ release should be selected by the creator. (With a very few exceptions).
The exceptions could be very "offensive" names, which insult people/groups or whatever directly for example.

I hope the Mod's will make a wise decision about this.
2019-02-06 05:47
Grue

Quote: Quoting Mr Ammo
[...]

+10^10000000

On the one hand the c64 scene as part of the whole demo scene thingy is usually discribed as "digital art" - on the other hand we do see a discussion here about how to correctly write out a product's name... sorry, I don't really get that: someone doing stuff for the c64 should also have the right to give his artwork any name *plus* it should be his decision wether the specific spelling of that name is part of the artwork itself.

I faintly remember a discussion here about some grammar/spelling mistakes in scrollers. Someone dared to ask if this should be corrected, but (luckily!!!) the majority tended to not change anything for the sake of preservation.

Back to formality: what is the advantage of auto-casing the names of the releases?

Sorry for intervening.
Cheers - Copyfault

There doesn't seem to be any auto-casing so it was just misunderstanding / BS.

Its quite easy to find releases with mixed rules.
2019-02-06 06:06
Grue

This also pisses me up that this turned into some war. Now aka is vandalized again :)

"Mothers creation, Mother's Creation"

Please mods, tell me what is the correct place to tell the real name of the entry and not just some made up like it currently turned up to be.

I can see that someone is trying to provoke me, but this issue really is important to me.

This is starting to feel like standing in the school yard again and people bullying me :D
2019-02-06 07:14
Grue

I added trivia entry explaining the name of the entry, now trivia is removed also.

What is wrong with you people?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Odie/Cosine
Fred/Channel 4
Scooby/G★P/Light
d020
Guests online: 91