Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #176410 : Propaganda List #1 2019
2019-04-01 23:22
Didi

Release id #176410 : Propaganda List #1 2019

Quite funny: If the coder is member of the releasing group and supplies the original, it gets no points here (example: The Age of Heroes). If the musician of the game is member in the releasing group, it's OK (example: Nono Pixie Preview 4). C'mon. Get real! Crackers have always used "connections" to get hand on the originals first. Usually you did not even ask for the source. You just respected that they had it first, point. The rule here is not thought through until end and does not respect tradition IMO.

... 44 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-04-04 23:24
Raistlin

My 2p...

“Cracking” is and always has been the work done to remove copy protection from a game. The other parts - linking an intro, training, etc etc - are just what goes into releasing that crack.

Crack, train, link, release.

If I was to remove the protection from a game of my own, i’d be changing:-

#define INCLUDE_COPY_PROTECTION 1

to

#define INCLUDE_COPY_PROTECTION 0

If someone goes to the trouble of making a game that’s unlikely to make more than a few hundred pounds/euros/dollars, why ruin the kudos for doing that by claiming to have cracked the game? That’s what I don’t understand.

As a demo coder, I was more happy than I was as a cracker.. and I looked up to game developers at the time as that seemed like a mystic art.

Is it “lame” to release your own game under your group? Personally, i’d say “no”. But... it does seem like it should be discounted from the First Release compo... it just doesn’t fit. If this was a public facing compo with a prize, it would be investigated by the competitions police from the EU.

That said, to claim a “crack” credit on such a release.. or to expect first release points... yeah, i’d agree that’s lame.
2019-04-05 20:20
Sixx

Smasher - E$G:

I don't put any personal valuation in regards to the topic or what's considered lame etc.

Have a nice weekend, ya'll.

:)
2019-04-05 21:52
Smasher

@sixx, you have been a f4cg'er, so I don't have to teach you what coolness mean and what lameness mean :P
have a great weekend u as well my friend!
2019-04-06 00:24
Scan

Ok, I was trying to avoid this discussion, but I feel like I have to add my 2 cents. Some weeks ago I released here a preview of a game I'm working on, RoboZZle64, hoping to get some feedback on the playability of the game. At first I was quite pleased some group took the "trouble" to take the summary I put into that post and put it in a DOC viewer attached in front of the game, but to my disappointment this his done very hastily and sloppy. I would have appreciated if the cracker took the trouble of reformatting the docs for a 40 columns-wide display and correct the youtube link to something (bitly?) that can be copied from the docs to view the youtube video. Also, because the doc viewer uses run/stop to quit the doc viewer and I use the same key combination to select a puzzle (using kernal routines so buffered keyboard) so when exiting the doc viewer using that key results in immediately selecting the first puzzle. I do not mind having it "cracked", but I do mind when it has done sloppily and adds almost zero value to the release. I'm thinking of adding some kind of "protection" for the next version so the cracking groups will have to put a little more effort into it and prove their value. My advice for cracking groups: It's better to be the best than to be the first.
2019-04-06 03:42
Maxlide

Don't blame it on the scene but one the releasing group when a release is faulty.
There have always been groups who spent more time on their releases than others.
The trick is to be good and fast. I don't know about what group we are talking and I don't care but they surely need to check their Q department then.
During the heyday of the Commodore 64 scene people tend to release two versions. A quick one for the bbs' and a second and usually better one (in terms of trainers and size) for the snailmail releases.

And about your future products: a copy protection would be highly appreciated!
2019-04-06 20:38
AlexC

I wonder if today set of crack releases has something to do with this discussion... or is it just a coincidence.
2019-04-06 21:20
Luca

Quote: I wonder if today set of crack releases has something to do with this discussion... or is it just a coincidence.

Today Raiders of the Lost Empire's great turmoil of cracks is ab-so-lu-te-ly the funniest part of the whole drama :D What about cracking a (possibly) selfcoded game coming from nowhere, which cannot be fully evaluated about its intrinsic quality, due to its own nature (in this case, an adventure which you can see how deep it really is)?
A truck full of popcorn, please...
2019-04-06 21:54
Pitcher

Quoting Luca
Today Raiders of the Lost Empire's great turmoil of cracks is ab-so-lu-te-ly the funniest part of the whole drama :D What about cracking a (possibly) selfcoded game coming from nowhere, which cannot be fully evaluated about its intrinsic quality, due to its own nature (in this case, an adventure which you can see how deep it really is)?

Someone has written a conversion program to take PAW data files from spectrum and amstrad
text adventure games and get it working in the C64 DAAD adventure game system.

To be honest, they where posted up on the Internet the 29th March, made it to lemon by the 2nd of April, took longer than I expected to make it here.
2019-04-06 22:31
hedning

Quote: Quoting Luca

Someone has written a conversion program to take PAW data files from spectrum and amstrad

To be honest, they where posted up on the Internet the 29th March, made it to lemon by the 2nd of April, took longer than I expected to make it here.

Yup. 0-pointers. Still nice to see more text adventures on the c64. And also nice when solution etc is added.

The adventure writer system also spits out Amiga and Atari versions of the adventures. For more info, check out http://www.zenobi.co.uk/?view=classic

More will come.
2019-04-07 09:58
Luca

Quote: Quoting Luca

Aaah, have seen it cited on Twitter for a so long time, and now finally I know what DAAD can do, thank you.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sixx
grasstust/Hoaxers
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Fungus/Nostalgia
skull
jmin