Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #187773 : Alternate Reality - The City +11D
2020-02-15 17:47
jcompton

Release id #187773 : Alternate Reality - The City +11D

With a dramatically improved saver and a trainer, it is now much much easier to live long enough to stumble into the original game's bugs!

Notably:

- Certain potion effects (Potions of Protection +1/+2) modify the wrong area of memory and may not actually provide any benefit whatsoever.

- These potion-related memory trashes can affect playfield graphics like door labels and mountain backdrops.

- Too many potion effects will crash the game!

- Banks may exhibit erratic behavior at times.

- Upon transitioning from a building back to the game map, the game sometimes "forgets" whether you are outdoors or in an "enclosed area."

- The game mostly hides the mirroring of door labels, but forgets to do so in certain types of Enclosed Areas, so words like "SHOP" and "TAVERN" will appear reversed on the bottom of the door.

- In silent interiors there's a horrible buzzing sound when the SID should probably just be turned off.

... 92 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-02-19 09:29
Danzig

Quote: Remove all votes.
Deja vu.

Or like in germoney nowdays: revert and repeat the voting until the result fits ;-) sry, couldn't resist :-D
2020-02-19 09:32
Danzig

Quote: Quoting Bacchus
No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

No, it only supports overwriting already existing files. No file creation or allocation of new blocks.

And IFFL is more pain than gain. It makes supporting some drives much harder, and the scanning takes time and effort. Unless the game is so big that it won't fit on a disk without it, it doesn't add anything other than a pretty directory.

On to 101% instead!

Na, scanning... overrated! we should stick with overloading iffl, that is easy to keep compatible with all the new tech and when it comes to saving: just add data at the end :-D

That spoken, I dive into a vulanco right away, kthxbye ;-)
2020-02-19 09:48
Raistlin

IMO this is a very nice release. It's outside the first release compo, of course, but that's great - the first release compo should encourage the scene, not consume it (ie. if it stops groups wanting to improve certain games, because there are no points for doing so, that's bad - those games shouldn't get points, of course, but some groups are ONLY interested in chasing points ... which might mean they discount the work needed for a release that sceners might genuinely be interested in).

It makes me wonder, actually.. if Bacchus had 101% fixed this game, added to it with (optional) improved graphics, and called it a "Remastered" version ... that would be a new release, right..? (though of course FLT couldn't get FR points for that either - as you can't crack your own game)

I have no idea on the merits of IFFL so will stay out of that one .. I think back in the 80s it was cool because you could have IFFL'ed games nicely interleaved on a multi-game disk without the DIR getting messy ... but if a game fills a whole disk, that's not relevant anyway - in which case it mostly just comes down to functionality.

On voting ... taking a "9" vote as being a downvote was wrong IMO. Writing about it on CSDB was catastrophic (if you care about scores) as it only leads to people who really don't care about cracks jumping in with even lower votes.

I voted a 10 too by the way. I believe Hedning wouldn't lie about that either - there are so many admins on CSDB, it wouldn't be good for him to lie about that.
2020-02-19 12:54
Frantic

Exactly. IFFL would be irrelevant in this case.
2020-02-19 13:06
MagerValp

Since all other cracks are broken, doesn't this count as a first release? Or is 35 years too slow? :D
2020-02-19 13:11
hedning

Quote: Since all other cracks are broken, doesn't this count as a first release? Or is 35 years too slow? :D

Yeah. Cracker groups have 1 year to fix bugs and shit after a initial release. But in this case it was never cracked properly (or at all) afaik, so I would say this actually counts as a first release. There might be working cracks of this game out there somewhere, even if it's unlikely - who knows. Time will tell.
2020-02-19 13:16
TheRyk

Quote:
groups have 1 year to fix bugs and shit

... for a 100% version earning 1stie statwanking points

For a 101% version any group (though I don't think anyone outside FLT will bother the trouble) has all the time in the world
2020-02-19 13:38
Raistlin

Are the points earned for releasing a 100% and later a 101% the same as just going straight to a 101%?
2020-02-19 13:56
Krill

Quoting Bacchus
@hedning

What's with this obsession over IFFL? [...]
And IFFL plus save is also a mess. [...]
So again; why this constant moaning over IFFL?
Funny, there's this:
User Comment
Submitted by Bacchus on 14 August 2018
Kewl stuff. Not let's take it to the next level as per our discussion :)
over on Krill's Loader, Repository Version 164 referring to
Quoting Bacchus
My wishlist is;
* Option for file and IFFL [...]
<some detailed IFFL requirements>
(And no, i don't have any plans to add IFFL because yes, IFFL sucks, but actually only due to Commodore not having seen fit to have a KERNAL call for seek functionality.)
2020-02-19 15:37
jcompton

Quote: Yeah. Cracker groups have 1 year to fix bugs and shit after a initial release. But in this case it was never cracked properly (or at all) afaik, so I would say this actually counts as a first release. There might be working cracks of this game out there somewhere, even if it's unlikely - who knows. Time will tell.

I've seen someone swear up and down that the MZP version is 100%, but:

1. With over one-third of a century to find it, the most anybody's ever come up with from that version is the boot side (so, just one of the original three, and there's absolutely no evidence to suggest anybody's ever taken on the project of one-siding this game before.)

2. What we *can* see of the MZP version shows clearly that it's been tampered with in a way that would make it much less than a reliable historical artifact.

3. AR fandom may not make major headlines today against a backdrop of Sonic movies and so forth, but it was pretty strong by 1990s Internet standards and the game still has a significant following in some corners today. It is unlikely that anybody who appreciates this game would deliberately hoard a good crack of it.

I'm not a cracker. I only know what the people who *declined* to take on this monumental task have remarked about it, and then my lens into the work that Bacchus did to actually beat it into submission.

And I'm saying it's very, very unlikely that we'd have all collectively forgotten the time somebody actually *did* overcome this challenge back in the day.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
icon/The Silents, Sp..
LMan
Exile/Anubis
Airwolf/F4CG
Edhellon/Resource
Krill/Plush