Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #187773 : Alternate Reality - The City +11D
2020-02-15 17:47
jcompton

Release id #187773 : Alternate Reality - The City +11D

With a dramatically improved saver and a trainer, it is now much much easier to live long enough to stumble into the original game's bugs!

Notably:

- Certain potion effects (Potions of Protection +1/+2) modify the wrong area of memory and may not actually provide any benefit whatsoever.

- These potion-related memory trashes can affect playfield graphics like door labels and mountain backdrops.

- Too many potion effects will crash the game!

- Banks may exhibit erratic behavior at times.

- Upon transitioning from a building back to the game map, the game sometimes "forgets" whether you are outdoors or in an "enclosed area."

- The game mostly hides the mirroring of door labels, but forgets to do so in certain types of Enclosed Areas, so words like "SHOP" and "TAVERN" will appear reversed on the bottom of the door.

- In silent interiors there's a horrible buzzing sound when the SID should probably just be turned off.

... 92 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-02-17 00:40
Smasher

hey Nostalgia: make N0SDOS public! it's about time... :)
2020-02-18 22:19
Bacchus

Quote: If he does, a IFFL would be nice too. Seems like a perfect case. And I know he has N0sD0s. :)

@hedning

What's with this obsession over IFFL? When was the last time GP released an IFFL to even put you in a position to complain about this on all our releases?

It's a fancy technology for squeezing a few block extra out of a release and some minor benefit on file search. But it makes the release a whole lot more complex and less compatible for a very non crucial benefit.

And IFFL plus save is also a mess. I refuse to save inside the IFFL. Stuff like highscore and progress shall be saved outside the main file. This is what N0SD0S has. ND is also TurboAssembler and has a lot of setup and requirements on how to populate the file to make it work.

And other implementations only support save of files where the file is byte by byte exactly the relevant size and it also needs to be preallocated. No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

So again; why this constant moaning over IFFL?

Pontus "Bacchus" Berg
* FairLight Council *
2020-02-18 22:57
hedning

Quote: @hedning

What's with this obsession over IFFL? When was the last time GP released an IFFL to even put you in a position to complain about this on all our releases?

It's a fancy technology for squeezing a few block extra out of a release and some minor benefit on file search. But it makes the release a whole lot more complex and less compatible for a very non crucial benefit.

And IFFL plus save is also a mess. I refuse to save inside the IFFL. Stuff like highscore and progress shall be saved outside the main file. This is what N0SD0S has. ND is also TurboAssembler and has a lot of setup and requirements on how to populate the file to make it work.

And other implementations only support save of files where the file is byte by byte exactly the relevant size and it also needs to be preallocated. No IFFL on the market supports real native save (ULoad might - haven't dug into it).

So again; why this constant moaning over IFFL?

Pontus "Bacchus" Berg
* FairLight Council *

Oh, mr. *FairLight Council*, I just said this release seems like a perfect release to use IFFL. It would save blocks, and look sexier? Oh. Regarding GP, whatever that has to do with it, last times we used IFFL were the times we needed it, and had time to implement it, probably Aviator Arcade II +7D, Labyrinth of Crete &DS &Map. Perhaps somewhere else. Don't remember.

I don't moan. I just say this release could benefit from it, don't you think? I'm not saying anything else.

Stop being so butthurt, taking less than 10-votes as a personal violation. And: your high tail guide in the scroller and officially might trigger people. I only have an honest opinion. Take it or leave it.

I voted 10 by the way.
2020-02-18 23:11
Jazzcat

@hedning: nice that you voted 10, couldn't see as your votes are hidden. Cool!

Don't think IFFL is really the priority here with this release. The priority has been addressed by Fairlight, which is a working crack. Secondary to this would be to make a 101% version with bug fixes of the original in-game bugs. Adding IFFL to "look sexy" is not the same as "is sexy". :P

Good work Fairlight, thanks for your hard work!
2020-02-18 23:26
hedning

Quote: @hedning: nice that you voted 10, couldn't see as your votes are hidden. Cool!

Don't think IFFL is really the priority here with this release. The priority has been addressed by Fairlight, which is a working crack. Secondary to this would be to make a 101% version with bug fixes of the original in-game bugs. Adding IFFL to "look sexy" is not the same as "is sexy". :P

Good work Fairlight, thanks for your hard work!

<Post edited by hedning on 18/2-2020 23:40>

I didn't expect any other answer from you than that, as you seem to be the FLT fan #1, even listing FLT oldie cracks in your first release list as "honourable mentions" even if they are not first releases, while forgetting other more awesome ones; but you are right. This crack is perfectly working, and I do not complain. It's a 10. No question about it. Good work Bacchus! I just adressed stuff that could have been better. Is that wrong in any sense? It's not like this crack had to be rushed or anything.
2020-02-18 23:34
Jazzcat

If there is a fully working crack, for the first time, it is mentioned in the list. It may not get points but it is mentioned. If there is releases missing or if there is any mistakes, please message me and I will update it (I am usually pretty quick with the correction).
2020-02-18 23:39
hedning

Quote: If there is a fully working crack, for the first time, it is mentioned in the list. It may not get points but it is mentioned. If there is releases missing or if there is any mistakes, please message me and I will update it (I am usually pretty quick with the correction).

Good to know. Great to see you this active again by the way. We have missed you. :D
2020-02-18 23:45
Jazzcat

I have been inactive? Did not notice this. May be I should organise three demo parties this year? :)
2020-02-18 23:51
hedning

Quote: I have been inactive? Did not notice this. May be I should organise three demo parties this year? :)

Please do!
2020-02-18 23:53
Jazzcat

Oh and if anything is missing from The List, anyone: please drop a pm! Want to keep it as accurate as possible!

http://thelist.c64.org
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
Majikeyric
Freeze/Blazon
Didi/Laxity
visionvortex
csabanw