Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #188193 : TheC64 Maxi Game Tool
2020-03-10 14:57
hedning

Release id #188193 : TheC64 Maxi Game Tool

What's the details and reason why there are such whining about this tool bricking The64 on Facebook? I don't own one, but it made me curious. I guess the users add more games than the mem on the device can take, or something.
2020-03-10 19:47
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Not sure if it really should be here on CSDb.It won't create anything that we can run on the commodore 64 which we love so much. Doesn't have much of a significance for the commodore 64 scene either, or does it?

"TheC64 Game Tool 2020 is a tool designed to let you create a custom firmware .bin file to inject your favorite
Commodore 64 games into the carousel UI of TheC64 classic computer."

I would nominate it for deletion.
2020-03-10 20:22
Count Zero

Being a Megastyle production released for free to the scene and masses it perfectly suits here.

I actually second the spread of a tool which can brick Maxis and Minis - but thats just the evil in me and no further comments required :)

I cannot fully follow Lucas' comments on the release due to lack of knowledge on weirdo filehandling there but it nicely outlines what NOT to do I think.

Oh and hey - about any scene tool release had its bugs back in the days. Why break with traditions? :)

PS: Does it actually brick the hardware? Cannot find related posts.
2020-03-10 20:30
hedning

Mr.Ammo: I don't like The64 either, by many reasons. I shouldn't list all reasons here perhaps, but what I am is curious about all possible ways of hacking it, and Megastyle's tool is a perfect start. As C0 stated the tool fits perfectly here.

Talking about bricking: Best thing about bricking that The64 thing is that you can scrap the board inside and perhaps throw in a raspberry pi and get a good emulation station instead.
2020-03-10 20:53
chatGPZ

the board isnt even that bad, just the emu is =)
2020-03-10 23:37
Luca

Quoting Groepaz
the board isnt even that bad, just the emu is =)

...and I second that. Overall, for what we're used to handle, TheC64 is pure crap as Commodore 64, and is quite a silly toy as object of its own. Once upon a time, I'd found a Mini priced for about...mmm 5 pints, so I purchased it as a curiosity, and soon stacked it in front of a TV. This tool has simply refreshed the fun around TheC64, a fun which is *not* the fun about using a real C64, it's another kind of it and nothing to do with what we generally talk about here, absolutely...

I saw in a specific TheC64 forum that the developer is still working about the tool, and that a large slice of the bugs I mentioned in the comments has just been taken in count, maybe for a future improved version. And I hope it eventually will see the light, because the shitty TheC64, pushed that way, looks much more like a fetish toy that apes the real father in a sort of...mmm..."desecrating consecration", with all the covers scrolling left and right like showing the echo of a long running history which is part of all of us :) It's the coloured cover of a bible :)
2020-03-11 12:39
chatGPZ

What i find a bit odd... apparently someone found out how to create a regular update file - so why didnt anyone make a firmware containing emulationstation or retroarch (which would remove all the silly restrictions of their emu port, plus add a ton more emus)?

also: someone from the UK, please request the source. its silly expensive from abroad to wire those 5 pounds.
2020-03-11 12:40
Luca

Quoting Groepaz
What i find a bit odd... apparently someone found out how to create a regular update file - so why didnt anyone make a firmware containing emulationstation or retroarch (which would remove all the silly restrictions of their emu port, plus add a ton more emus)?

It's a matter of overall available memory I guess.
2020-03-11 13:00
chatGPZ

nah, you can always make it so the bulk of data is on the SD card. actually thats the most sane way to do it, just boot the bare system from the flash, sd-card or usb-stick contains all the rest. thats how it also works on other "mini consoles".
2020-03-12 14:31
Luca

Quoting Groepaz
nah, you can always make it so the bulk of data is on the SD card. actually thats the most sane way to do it, just boot the bare system from the flash, sd-card or usb-stick contains all the rest. thats how it also works on other "mini consoles".

Oh well, that's not my case :) As I wrote, me and TheC64 met just for fun and curiosity, a curiosity that comes to new life with this tool. I've composed my 150 entries' carousel (the maximum nuber, if you don't use additional memory and firmware's mods), that was fun, enough to me, let's get back to the real iron ;)
2020-03-13 08:58
Adam

Quote:
USE ONLY OFFICIAL FIRMWARE UPDATES - We're sadly seeing reports of machines
damaged after using third party firmware updates / upgrades. PLEASE only use
updates from the official THE C64 / Retro Games website. New features are being
worked on for future updates. Using an unofficial add on can damage your machine
and unless you want to play with a brick, we really don't recommend doing it.
The admin team are unable to offer technical support and you risk invalidating
your warranty if you install third party software.

screencap:
https://i.imgur.com/dpVNutc.png

Are there any public reports about such damage? I can't find anything. If anyone has anything I'd be very interested in seeing it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it has been posted to scare people away from modifying their own property and forcing them to use whatever software they provide for eternity. I struggle to believe that modifying The64's software would "damage" the device or completely brick it from ever working again. I don't think the people behind TheC64 understand (and possibly underestimated) how the C64 community works: you give us a C64 and it will be expanded, modified and enhanced. Real C64 or not, it makes no difference.

... 1 post hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dr. Video
Guests online: 64
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)