Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #189442 : Free Ammo!
2020-03-30 19:50
Moderators

Release id #189442 : Free Ammo!

Submitted by GH/MSL/Toondichters [PM] on 30 March 2020
There is a logical explanation for everything.

Waiting patiently...

User Comment
Submitted by Slator [PM] on 30 March 2020
as if corona was not silly enough...

User Comment
Submitted by Linus [PM] on 30 March 2020
WTF. Mr. Ammo? Seriously?

User Comment
Submitted by ZeSmasher [PM] on 30 March 2020
cool one!
what? Mr.Ammo banned? he's the nicest dude on planet Earth.

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-03-31 11:26
macx

Excellent! 11/10!
2020-03-31 11:56
Count Zero

Quote: Why did Mr. Ammo get banned?

Violation of rule 1.3 and 1.9 especially.

IMHO its not a good idea to paste a PM by Perff into IRC as the first thing on receiving it. Someone being on here for nearly 18 years should just use the reply button.

Other sentences mentioned in our discussion which we indeed had before hitting the ban button included:

"he has undermined CSDb by posting deleted links and info from within CSDb to the public."

"Destructive, and not supportive, attitude."
2020-03-31 12:37
Smasher

not commenting the reasons (except for "destructive".. come on, Mr.Ammo destructive is the world upside down...)
so whatever the reason was I hope you guys will clear up and problem will get solved very soon.
well, if my opinion matters something to someone: this story is not good for the scene.
2020-03-31 13:50
ChristopherJam

This should probably be a production note, but comments are closed, so...

Mad props to Shine for creating the logo for this demo in under an hour from Burg saying 'we should make a "FREE AMMO" demo!' to Shine emailing me the finished graphic.

I was a tad slower. 13 hours from repo creation to feature complete, half of which I was sleeping. All new code aside from the stable interrupt, but no new ideas really. I had plans for a 3D effect, but a quick draft looked shit so I canned it.

The sliding doors effect is a little optimised by only loading A when the value to be written changes, only writing colour ram values for non-spaces, and only writing values to screen or colour ram if they have a different neighbour to the left or right. There's plenty of room for improvement - I don't group multiple runs of the same value, and don't take advantage of each half only scrolling one direction.

The scroller uses a 32x4 grid of chars as a bitmap that can be easily scrolled by writing new character indices to the screen. Masks are expanded from the ROM font at startup, then composited with the pattern fill as they are brought on screen.

Music selection was Burg's idea :)

Apologies for the lack of NTSC compatibility; I didn't even think of that..
2020-03-31 15:06
ChristopherJam

Quoting Count Zero
Violation of rule 1.3 and 1.9 especially.

IMHO its not a good idea to paste a PM by Perff into IRC as the first thing on receiving it. Someone being on here for nearly 18 years should just use the reply button.

hrm, probably not, no. But, I never saw any grumbles about "the rules" per se - and I'm on IRC constantly. Just exasperated concern that a much loved site may be in danger.

Was he actually warned he was skirting close to being banned?

(FWIW, I get that you're under no obligation to justify the moderators decision - but transparency is always appreciated. As much as anything, it helps the rest of us to understand what sort of behavior is considered ok here :) )
2020-03-31 20:55
TheRyk

I hope you don't interpret this as violation against 1.3 but isn't this rule 1.3 like the new Hungarian rule that basically lets government interpret what is "fake news" and enables it to jail every critic? I'm just asking a question but if some mod feels I "whine in public", I'm out... seriously?
2020-03-31 20:55
hedning

These issues are not public issues. It's between Ammo and the moderators. And I am sure a warning from the site's owner prior to the ban could be seen as a pretty good indication that you are on thin ice. Publishing the warning on IRC and obviously not taking it very seriously, instead of answering it, might not be the best move.
2020-03-31 21:10
hedning

Quote: I hope you don't interpret this as violation against 1.3 but isn't this rule 1.3 like the new Hungarian rule that basically lets government interpret what is "fake news" and enables it to jail every critic? I'm just asking a question but if some mod feels I "whine in public", I'm out... seriously?

It's a bit outside of this discussion, but I interpret it as we have rules here (like on every other forum), accept them or don't, and if you want to change them you should bring it up with the moderators in a constructive manner instead of running a crusade against the rules or how the site works everywhere else where nothing will happen. If you don't accept them you should not be here. Everyone is free to start a database like this with your own rules and guidelines and live happy the rest of your life there. The options are endless. And it's not like the rules are hidden away, either.

Again: it's not a human right to have an account here and say and do whatever you want. It's the same anywhere else on the net for that matter. This is not Hungary, or any other country. Moderators are not political figures that some democratic system elected. We were asked to take this freetime job, that takes a lot of time, because the other mods, and ultimately the site owner Perff, thought we were fit for it. We act and decide stuff for what we think is best for the site, the database and the users here.
2020-03-31 21:52
TheRyk

democracy != moderating any internet platform
that's old news, though I would appreciate some human rights every now and then here, hehe.

all I'm saying is moderators giving 1.3 violation as reason for ban might frequently be vaguely intransparent to community and thus, rather fuel than prevent drama.

BTT: What you stated in #13 really _IS_ some explanation (no matter if users like it or not). However, I think Ammo! deserves some mercy, at least no permanent ban.

Always remember:
2020-03-31 22:16
Smasher

Hedning, it's getting slightly offtopic yes. yup, rules exist on CSDb and on every forum/site, but you can't compare the two really 1:1.
CSDb creates an unique id for every scener who contributed with something in this fab long living digital community through the years. It also collects all the stuff with the excuse "it's just a Db", sometimes ignoring author's will.
If you are one of those sceners you can decide to put a face behind that id, so you can activate your scener-id, which allows you to chat here on this beautiful forum and post your own stuff.
well, imagine facebook creates a user-id for every person in the world, it posts your photos and stuff, then it's up to you to decide if you want to impersonate your id by activating your account or not. of course you cannot remove the photos someone else posted, coz FB it's just a dB :)
ok, I'm getting really offtopic now. let's keep it short: I agree it's not human right to have a voice here. also since we aren't alone you can't walk naked here so I also agree on the point you must use some dresscode, which you call "rules".
but, hey: sceners are friendly and smart persons, most of us (me at least) are here coz we believe in this site. so typing "it's like this, if you don't accept it go build your own site!" it's a bit too hard and a bit too sad to me. sorry, my 2cts.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Acidchild/Padua
theK/ATL
Didi/Laxity
Freeze/Blazon
Beast/Crescent
eryngi