Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #189659 : Hired Sword II +3D
2020-04-18 23:57
hedning

Release id #189659 : Hired Sword II +3D

Discussing moved here where it belongs. :)

User Comment
Submitted by Ebster [PM] on 18 April 2020
By the highest respect to you and your group i had asked them before and i have asked them again. They say if there is no Highscore to be saved then there is no reason to block saving when a trainer option is used.

User Comment
Submitted by hedning [PM] on 18 April 2020
Ebster: It's normal procedure. Ask your group mates. :)

User Comment
Submitted by Ebster [PM] on 18 April 2020
The release is good but why is saving a game not possible just because the use of a trainer? The game is big, even with trainer, one might want to save a gamestate. I see no reason why this should not be possible.
2020-04-19 02:23
Kickback

I would suspect, that the HS "shouldn't" be available in a trained version, because IMHO its cheating.
2020-04-19 08:24
bugjam

As far as I understand it it's not about HS, but savegames - and that does not make sense to me either, that it would not be available in a trainer version. So I agree with Ebster here.
2020-04-19 10:17
finchy

Interesting. I'm getting a little philosophical here, but I thought trainers should help you play through the game. That you won't get credit for it by being able to save your highscore and you're a lamer for doing so - okay, okay, granted.

But when a game that takes you hours to complete (even with cheats) and can very unlikely be finished in one sitting does not let you save your progress, isn't this punishment defeating the purpose of even starting to use the trainer altogether? I mean why would I even bother then?
2020-04-19 20:22
Goat

Trainers disabling game progress save are totally stupid, because then the trainers make solving a game HARDER instead of EASIER.

Disabling highscores is fine, but trainers should not disable game saves. We had that discussion years ago already...
2020-04-19 20:52
Danzig

To me this release is borked if game save is disabled when cheat is active. But I assume missing balls @ G*P stopping to justify :-D I expect redeclaration of rules so they fit... God, I'm glad I left this childish playground :-D

Next up is Bards Tale without Savegame, please *ROFL*
2020-04-20 00:36
Jazzcat

Highscore/save game disabled when trainers on has been this way for years.
2020-04-20 01:51
Smasher

1) trainers on and hiscore saver on: bleah, noway!
2) trainers on and save game on: well, it's still lame but not as lame as 1). in some cases, probably in the release discussed here, could make sense.
3) trainers on and load game on (but no save): it still contains a thin layer of lameness, but that should be allowed IMHO. example: you tried and tried but really could not finish that last damn level, so you load your savegame with the status you earned "honestly" and you play that impossible level with trainers on to see the end. for me it makes sense.
2020-04-20 08:12
sailor

Quoting Jazzcat
Highscore/save game disabled when trainers on has been this way for years.

Yes.

Quoting Goat
trainers make solving a game HARDER instead of EASIER

What ?
2020-04-20 10:53
bugjam

That something was done in a certain way for years has not really anything to do with the sense that it makes.
Why on earth would I not be allowed to interrupt a game which takes several hours to complete even with trainers enabled?
To me, save game ability has absolutely nothing to do with trainers.
Are also level passwords disabled when playing with trainer? According to this logic they should, right?
2020-04-20 11:20
hedning

Quote: That something was done in a certain way for years has not really anything to do with the sense that it makes.
Why on earth would I not be allowed to interrupt a game which takes several hours to complete even with trainers enabled?
To me, save game ability has absolutely nothing to do with trainers.
Are also level passwords disabled when playing with trainer? According to this logic they should, right?

This has very little to do with CSDb per se, so if you want to change rules or have opinions you are welcome to contact Vandalism News or Attitude/Propaganda, as stated in these diskmags. Have a nice week. Stay safe!
2020-04-20 12:17
Zirias

Disabling hiscores with trainers on is a no-brainer, guess nobody would argue here.

Disabling savegames with trainers on would only make sense *if* these savegames could be used to achieve some hiscore by loading them without trainers.

As already mentioned, there's probably never a reason to disable *loading* a saved game.

Disclaimer: just personal opinions.
2020-04-20 22:10
bugjam

Quote: This has very little to do with CSDb per se, so if you want to change rules or have opinions you are welcome to contact Vandalism News or Attitude/Propaganda, as stated in these diskmags. Have a nice week. Stay safe!

It has indeed nothing to do with csdb, but it is not an issue of the mags, but of the releasing groups, which are also present here. Of course they are free to ignore such feedback. :-)
And yes, everybody please stay safe!
2020-04-20 22:12
chatGPZ

Quote:
This has very little to do with CSDb per se, so if you want to change rules or have opinions you are welcome to contact Vandalism News or Attitude/Propaganda

Finally something that makes a lot of sense!
2020-04-22 17:29
Dano

Mhh i feel i still come from a time where trainers enhanced gameplay and gave you more fun to play games. Lame or not.

Restricting a game because of some trainer? Come on guys. Thank god the crackers were not that philisophical back in the days..
2020-04-22 22:22
Count Zero

Games with save states should be protected against character/level/game editors by the cracking crews as well...

Geez!
2020-04-23 21:39
Bacchus

Great work Jani! As always!

I won't play the game since I am fully occupied with my own project, but I must say that I really hate when there is drama around the releases. People trying to find an angle to criticise something that really deserves the full praise. Soon there will be the utterly lame lowlifes that strategically downvote.

The exploration games should have working save if that is part of the game - regardless of the trainers installed. Disabling the save you are - as already said - make the game more difficult if you select trainers, and that could never be the point.

I buy that adding your name to a highscore list if you did it with trainers might be skewed, as the list will consist of a mix of honest and cheated results.

/Bacchus
2020-04-25 11:20
finchy

I don't quite get the first part of Bacchus' post regarding "people trying to find an angle to criticise something that really deserves the full praise", and then stating what has been stated in the very first post here regarding this release: Save states should not be disabled.

I will not vote vor this release out of respect, because this stuff is hard work and I really appreciate it. But as I stated before, its trainers are pretty much useless because you can't play through the game. So why bother? As bugjam pointed out, why not disable level codes in games that include them when using a trainer.

This is not about whining and trying to find an angle to critizize. And it's not about some rules that may or may not be sound. It's simply this: From from a player's perspective, does it make sense to disable the save state here? And if you were not the releasing group, but the one at the receiving end, and said yes, I don't want to save hours of progress because I used any trainer in an exploration game, then you must be some hardcore gamer with endless amounts of time at hand. Congrats to that. Does not apply to everybody, though.

So yeah, maybe regarding rules and points, all is good. But come on guys, you play games yourself. Think as players. Would you like to play your own trained version then if you wanted to play through the game? And this is, again, not about bashing a release or anything. I have the utmost respect for your work here, guys. But it must be allowed to give some constructive feedback. And it would be nice if you would not hide behind rules and really answer the question here.

Cheers and stay safe everyone.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
Guests online: 318
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)