Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #194046 : 1541 Speed Test
2020-08-07 10:01
sailor

Release id #194046 : 1541 Speed Test

Regarding the alignment, would you elaborate your thoughts on the following: (from the docs)

Quote:
F3 align the head to track 42 in a better way than other programs do.
F5 moves the head to track 1

How to correctly align a drive:

1) gently unscrew the screws of the track 1 "stop"
2) press F3
3) press F5
4) gently move the track 1 block so there is 0.25 mm (a hair or little more) between the block and the head the head.
5) screw the screws tight carefully checking the block is still at 0.25mm from the head.
2020-08-07 15:53
Zibri
Account closed

A friend who worked 15 years in a commodore repair center told me that.
When a drive is perfectly aligned there must be 0.15-0.25mm between the head and the "block" when the head is in track #1.
Testing my program on real drives reflected this.
If you align the head to track 42 and then move it to track #1 you will see that "hair" space on a correctly aligned drive.
2020-08-07 16:14
SLC

Was this friend by any chance Jim Drew?
2020-08-07 16:41
iAN CooG

SLC: lol, I don't think so, that would mean jim actually knows something about the subject :P
2020-08-07 17:23
sailor

I don't think zero stop and alignment are the same thing tho... And if you follow Commodore recommendations they state an AAD is required to test the alignment.
2020-08-07 21:33
chatGPZ

changing the zero stop will... change the track 0 location. it is totally unrelated to the track alignment or even azimuth (yes you need a scope and an alignment disc). oh well >_<
2020-08-08 01:12
Zibri
Account closed

As the "master of the obvious" just wrote, it was obvious that for "alignment" I intended the track 1 location.
I didn't think it was even needed to be explained in this so "elite" forum.
Even in the commodore service manual is described a similar procedure to correctly set the track stop.
2020-08-08 02:24
SLC

Regardless of how "elite" the users here are (and rest assured, there's lots of less knowledgeable people here too), you should make sure not to confuse two completely different things such as alignment and track 0 stop/calibration. This can confuse others, or even mislead them.
2020-08-08 12:05
chatGPZ

This constant mixing up and/or imprecise use of certain terms seems to be a reoccuring problem. Just using the correct terms will help :)
2020-08-08 14:52
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting SLC
Regardless of how "elite" the users here are (and rest assured, there's lots of less knowledgeable people here too), you should make sure not to confuse two completely different things such as alignment and track 0 stop/calibration. This can confuse others, or even mislead them.
You are right. I often overestimate people.
2020-08-08 14:52
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
This constant mixing up and/or imprecise use of certain terms seems to be a reoccuring problem. Just using the correct terms will help :)
If you could just code as correctly as you speak you would be great.
2020-08-08 15:14
chatGPZ

Again mixing up the terms. Fine :)
2020-08-12 16:10
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
Again mixing up the terms. Fine :)

Quoting 1541 User Guide

An alignment problem may develop gradually or suddenly. Most alignment problems
are caused by the slipping of the drive wheel on the shaft of the stepper motor which
is used to move the record/play head from track to track. Slippage occurs because the
drive wheel is only press fit on the stepper motor shaft. There is no set screw or
keyway to maintain the correct alignment. When the 1541 has been operating for
long time, it gets hot inside, the metal parts expand and the drive wheel may slip if
stress is applied. Normal accessing of files does not produce enough stress to cause
problems. However, slippage will occur if there is bump to track 1. When the drive
does bump, the stepper motor attempts to move the head outward total of 45
tracks. This is done to ensure that the head is positioned over track 1. lobe on the
stepper motor drive wheel hits mechanical stop to prevent the head from moving
past track 1. It is the hammering of this lobe against the mechanical stop that causes
the clatter each time you format diskette or when the drive is attempting to recover
from an error. If bump occurs when your drive is hot, some slippage is likely.

I called it alignment as it is called in every guide or book or even the service manual.
2020-08-12 16:27
chatGPZ

Alignment is what you adjust by moving the stepper motor position, not the track 1 stop. And the above quote doesn't say otherwise. The track 1 stop only defines which stepper position is track 1, no more no less.
2020-08-12 20:19
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
Alignment is what you adjust by moving the stepper motor position, not the track 1 stop. And the above quote doesn't say otherwise. The track 1 stop only defines which stepper position is track 1, no more no less.

Is this another of your famous brain farts?
Read again.
Adjusting the track 1 stop is a way to compensate for the "slipping of the drive wheel on the shaft of the stepper motor".
And by the way it is also possible to realign the drive using the same (opposite) method and without touch the track 1 stop.
But from all this I understood you didn't spend even 5 minutes on the service manuals.
And you seem to be able only to talk, modify other people software and then speak badly about anything.
Do something useful, come on.
I may be late a few decades with this utility, but at least I did something useful for people to use.
2020-08-12 20:30
chatGPZ

Just wow. again.
2020-08-12 20:39
tlr

Quoting Zibri
Quoting Groepaz

Is this another of your famous brain farts?
Read again.
Adjusting the track 1 stop is a way to compensate for the "slipping of the drive wheel on the shaft of the stepper motor".
And by the way it is also possible to realign the drive using the same (opposite) method and without touch the track 1 stop.

The text you quoted said nothing about the track 1 stop adjusting the alignment though. It only mentions the pressfit connection may slip when hitting the stop repeatedly in combination with heat stress.

The service manual at zimmers didn't really detail alignment (1540-1541_Disk_Drive_Service_Manual_314002-01_(1985_Nov).pdf)
I did however find this: 1541_Maintenance_Guide_1984.pdf. It's not a Commodore publication but seems fairly legit.
See "2-5. Head Alignment" and "2-6. Mechanical Alignment of Track #1 Stop".

This is how I remembered it as well. I guess I read a similar document, but the 80's was a long time ago. :)
2020-08-12 20:40
iAN CooG

Zibri: Now calm down, you're pissing out of the pot.
You have made ONE silly little vertical bar demo and ONE drive tool, while Groepaz has a decades long history in the C64 scene, not counting being one of the maintainers of VICE emulators, so he did, does and knows a bit more than you can think, despite his often despicable social attitude. I know myself his direct ways are unnerving at times.
You might have some other knowledge in other fields outside the C64 world, anyone can google your handle/real name to find out you are known for other HW hacking/projects, ok cool.
In here you're not exacly an "elite" coder at all, you're just showing exactly what other said about you, to be a dunning-krueger syndrome affected guy, because you act as one, at least judging how you reply. You did your research, you did your program, it's cool, works. But you can't actually tell Groepaz to "do something useful", come back in 20 years maybe after having done enough to compare your history with his.
2020-08-12 20:48
chatGPZ

BTW; the technique Zibri refers to has been known as "pinning" for about 3 decades (almost 4). It can temporarily improve the situation - but without actually fixing the problem (the slipping wheel shaft, which can be done with glue or locktight or sth similar) it will go out of alignment again after some more head bumps. It's something bedroom tinkerers do that do not know any better.

I'm also marking the day in the calender, with a link to IANs post :=)
2020-08-12 23:26
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting iAN CooG
You did your research, you did your program, it's cool, works. But you can't actually tell Groepaz to "do something useful"

I was referring to RPM.. not globally.
Imagine that 90% of my work in 20 years will never be public nor known but I am sure there are more than a few devices you own that have benefit from my work.
Nevermind, probably I wasn't clear about the subject.
The subject is that groepaz until now wrote alot against my program without producing anything better or even comparable (still talking about rpm measurement).
That's all.
2020-08-12 23:27
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
I'm also marking the day in the calender, with a link to IANs post :=)

As most drama queens do.
2020-08-13 00:53
Pantaloon

this is too fun :) keep it going!
2020-08-13 08:34
sailor

Regarding Commodore and alignment, one need to check the "Commodore Diskette Diagnostic Manual" and/or its equivalent to 1571.

2020-08-13 09:44
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting sailor
Regarding Commodore and alignment, one need to check the "Commodore Diskette Diagnostic Manual" and/or its equivalent to 1571.

Yep. Both use both software checks and oscilloscope "cat eyes" check.
I think there might be a way to do this fully in software and I am exploring the possibility, but I think the emulator won't help in this case and I will need to wait to get the hardware to make some more tests.
2020-08-13 09:44
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Pantaloon
this is too fun :) keep it going!

:)
2020-08-13 10:08
sailor

I got the equipment to make a "factory quality" alignment with AAD and oscilloscope, It's the standard procedure for any drive really.. that's my recommended way of doing it.

I use the 1541diag alignment to get a hunch if the alignment might be an issue or not. (instead of pulling out an oscilloscope++)

A software solution will however be aligned to the drive which the disk, you use as reference, was written on.

Moving or adjusting the TR0 stop is not equal to aligning the drive. You may get a drive working that way if something has drifted, but its not aligning, and possibly not the root cause.
2020-08-13 10:47
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting sailor
I got the equipment to make a "factory quality" alignment with AAD and oscilloscope, It's the standard procedure for any drive really.. that's my recommended way of doing it.

I use the 1541diag alignment to get a hunch if the alignment might be an issue or not. (instead of pulling out an oscilloscope++)

A software solution will however be aligned to the drive which the disk, you use as reference, was written on.

Moving or adjusting the TR0 stop is not equal to aligning the drive. You may get a drive working that way if something has drifted, but its not aligning, and possibly not the root cause.

That's true.
But in most cases, unless the drive falled from the table or had other strong shocks, the main reason of a drive misalignment is the drifting of the metallic belt over the stepper motor head.
This happens when you format a disk (or there is a track 0 bump due to errors) when the drive is hot.
After asking to a few service center technicians, I heard that this was the problem in most cases.
2020-08-13 10:50
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting sailor

This is not entirely true.
Since the head can't physically go further than a certain point, I think there can be a way to determine where it really is buy writing special tracks at the extreme borders and do some clever reading. But I am not sure.
2020-08-13 11:41
SLC

Quote: Quoting sailor

This is not entirely true.
Since the head can't physically go further than a certain point, I think there can be a way to determine where it really is buy writing special tracks at the extreme borders and do some clever reading. But I am not sure.

Uhm.. yeah, the head stops into the Track 0 stop. But you won't know if that is correctly positioned. Also, even if track 0 stop is correctly set and you truly cannot push the head any further, the alignment itself may STILL be off and affect how far out you can read/write on the physical floppy.
2020-08-13 14:13
chatGPZ

If you dont fix the root problem, moving the head stop will only make the problem even worse (after a short time). As said, it's the bedroom tinkerer method. You only ever even touch the head stop *after* you have properly aligned the drive using testdisk and scope (and that is what happened in service centers). and what sailor said :)
2020-08-13 23:24
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting SLC
Uhm.. yeah, the head stops into the Track 0 stop. But you won't know if that is correctly positioned. Also, even if track 0 stop is correctly set and you truly cannot push the head any further, the alignment itself may STILL be off and affect how far out you can read/write on the physical floppy.

I was referring to track 42, not track 1.
2020-08-13 23:25
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
If you dont fix the root problem, moving the head stop will only make the problem even worse (after a short time). As said, it's the bedroom tinkerer method. You only ever even touch the head stop *after* you have properly aligned the drive using testdisk and scope (and that is what happened in service centers). and what sailor said :)

Oh.. so finally you read them! Good.
2020-08-13 23:49
chatGPZ

I have read them before you even knew they exist. It's getting boring.
2020-08-14 00:10
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Groepaz
I have read them before you even knew they exist. It's getting boring.

Nope it got boring since you hijacked the thread about my application trying to justify your useless and horrible rpm program.

About who read them first I don't know. I had them photocopied in 1984... but I read them.
2020-08-14 00:13
chatGPZ

Quote:
it got boring since you hijacked the thread about my application trying to justify your useless and horrible rpm program

Considering this is the thread about your application - can you point to the post in question? That would be really interesting!
2020-08-15 16:00
Zibri
Account closed

If anyone downloaded it yesterday from github, please redownload.
Today's version is perfect but the version I uploaded yesterday had an error in the manual track change routine introduced by a feature I added.
The new version also allows to do the track 1 bump by pressing "b" key. (requested by a user)
The configure program in the D64 was also updated with one more customization.
The customize program allows also to disable the automatic loader and force the program to load itself always on drive #8. This feature was requested so it could be more compatible in some situations.
2020-08-24 01:38
Zibri
Account closed

Update:

Thanks to Groepaz who recently modified VICE (r38422) giving a bigger (way too big) speed range to the 1541 emulation,
now my program is not only the most accurate but the only one (or one of the very few) that supports drives at very high or very low speed settings. And STILL keeping maximum accuracy!

Go download the latest version as usual at: https://github.com/Zibri/C64-1541-Speed-Test

All major formats are available, PRG, D64, TAP and even WAV.

Note: in the D64 is also present a configuration program (CONFIGURE.PRG) that creates a customized version.

Regards,
Zibri
2020-08-24 03:54
Adam

> Message sent by: Zibri on 2020-08-22 19:01:02+00
>>>Voting down to 3 my program becase you don't "like me" is a very coward and childish act.
>>>Remove your vote if you don't like but ruining the program reputation because you feel mad is a bullshit.
>>>Grow up and do the right thing before I will tell everybody what an asshole you are.

Oh no, Zibri. Since you're too cowardly to read your messages, I'll post it here: You won't be telling anyone how to vote for what, not me, not anyone. Who do you think you are exactly? You're in no position to tell anyone what to do. You'll never be in any position to tell anyone what to do. You've bothered the wrong person with your ranting and raving. I'm not easily intimidated by lamers such as yourself. Pull your head out of your ass and don't bother me again, lamer. :)
2020-08-24 12:45
Fungus

Don't feed the trolls.
2020-08-24 13:09
chatGPZ

Quote:
Thanks to Groepaz who recently modified VICE (r38422) giving a bigger (way too big) speed range to the 1541 emulation

To be exact, that range was tested and verified with a real drive, its only slightly more than the extremes that could be observed (~266 to ~336). The previous range was totally arbitrary, invented by compyx for the UI.
2020-08-24 15:11
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: > Message sent by: Zibri on 2020-08-22 19:01:02+00
>>>Voting down to 3 my program becase you don't "like me" is a very coward and childish act.
>>>Remove your vote if you don't like but ruining the program reputation because you feel mad is a bullshit.
>>>Grow up and do the right thing before I will tell everybody what an asshole you are.

Oh no, Zibri. Since you're too cowardly to read your messages, I'll post it here: You won't be telling anyone how to vote for what, not me, not anyone. Who do you think you are exactly? You're in no position to tell anyone what to do. You'll never be in any position to tell anyone what to do. You've bothered the wrong person with your ranting and raving. I'm not easily intimidated by lamers such as yourself. Pull your head out of your ass and don't bother me again, lamer. :)

Oh.. so you show yourself!
Go back to your lair.
There's no food for you here.
Lamer? 8 million people think otherwise.
WTF you think you are? Just a loser downvoter.
I don't care about ranking at all.
It makes me just laugh there is people so "little" around.
2020-08-24 15:13
Zibri
Account closed

Quote: Quote:
Thanks to Groepaz who recently modified VICE (r38422) giving a bigger (way too big) speed range to the 1541 emulation

To be exact, that range was tested and verified with a real drive, its only slightly more than the extremes that could be observed (~266 to ~336). The previous range was totally arbitrary, invented by compyx for the UI.

That's ok... I found a drive that could go down to 261 until now but never as up as 328... but I think is a good margin and it's finally symmetric.
It also gave me the chance to add 2 lines of code and correct the formula to support the lower speeds which I wanted to do from some time.
Thanks again, really.
2020-08-24 17:16
Zibri
Account closed

Groepaz
without I open a ticket, check the VICE code about the "Wobbling".
As it is is totally unreal.
Even at the maximum setting it does not resemble any 1541 I have seen so far.
Test my program with a real drive and with VICE and you will see clearly the difference.
Also check the video of the tutorial of my program where a guy (his 10 year old son!) sets the speed of a 1541 using my program. In that video you can clearly see the wobbling of a real 1541.
As of now I use the wobbling set to 0 when testing calculations and to maximum.. but the algo must sure be rewritten.

A hint: you could add to the "speed variable" a sinusoid multiplied by some random number in the "range" of the wobbling variable.
That should give you more real looking results.

It's very easy to spot an emulator otherwise.
2020-08-24 20:57
Krill

Quoting Zibri
It's very easy to spot an emulator otherwise.
The entire VICE staff themselves are the first to "admit" that some things remain to be emulated correctly, and as such may serve as low-hanging fruit for emulator detection. (There's also a public test result matrix where no emulator passes each and every test, iirc.)

That said, if this is such an important thing for you, why not submit a patch yourself? :)
2020-08-24 23:59
Zibri
Account closed

Is not so important.
But I saw that gpz is modifying some code in 1541 emulation and I thought this might be of help.
Sincerely I never check all sources and I didn't setup a build environment for that behemot to be compiled.
I was just reporting.
2020-08-25 00:00
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Krill
There's also a public test result matrix where no emulator passes each and every test, iirc.

Where? I am curious to see that.
2020-08-25 02:26
Adam

Quote: Oh.. so you show yourself!
Go back to your lair.
There's no food for you here.
Lamer? 8 million people think otherwise.
WTF you think you are? Just a loser downvoter.
I don't care about ranking at all.
It makes me just laugh there is people so "little" around.

this was the exact reaction i was hoping (and expecting) to receive. you didn't fail to disappoint me or others, zibri. :D

> I don't care about ranking at all!
> *50yo man proceeds to cry like a child to everyone that his lame tool got downvoted*
> 8 million people think otherwise!!!1111

:D absolutely beautiful. cry harder, lamer.
2020-08-25 03:42
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting Adam
this was the exact reaction i was hoping (and expecting) to receive. you didn't fail to disappoint me or others, zibri. :D

> I don't care about ranking at all!
> *50yo man proceeds to cry like a child to everyone that his lame tool got downvoted*
> 8 million people think otherwise!!!1111

:D absolutely beautiful. cry harder, lamer.

Bye loser.
2020-08-25 10:05
Krill

Quoting Zibri
Quoting Krill
There's also a public test result matrix where no emulator passes each and every test, iirc.

Where? I am curious to see that.
https://vice-emu.pokefinder.org/index.php/Testbench#Results
2020-08-25 17:31
ChristopherJam

Quoting Zibri
Groepaz

It would certainly be useful to collect some statistics on how real drives with inconsistent speeds actually behave in practise - even just a typical oscillation period would be nice to know. You mentioned a sinusoid, but are we talking rising and falling every few seconds, or multiple times per revolution, or?
2020-08-25 17:33
chatGPZ

Indeed, another testprog that shows a scatter plot / deviation over time in some way is needed for this.
2020-08-26 08:19
Zibri
Account closed

Quoting ChristopherJam
Quoting Zibri
Groepaz

It would certainly be useful to collect some statistics on how real drives with inconsistent speeds actually behave in practise - even just a typical oscillation period would be nice to know. You mentioned a sinusoid, but are we talking rising and falling every few seconds, or multiple times per revolution, or?

No idea.. I just saw some videos of people using my program and speed always changes of about +/-0.20 RPM but not randomly it seems (by naked eye) a fast sinusoid.
depending on the status of the rubber belt that wobbling can go from +/- 0.30 to even more... on very good maintained drive as low as 0.10 and on "no belt" drives is almost 0.00.
The wobbling depends also on the disk inserted.
A newer "out of the box" disk is stiffer than an often used one. So the wobbling is more pronounced with newer disks.
It also changes from disk to disk (probably due to friction caused by slightly different internal cleaning pads.
Sorry for the "non technical" description, this is just data I am gathering by watching videos of people using my program.
In the next days I should get a commodore 64 SX and a c64 with a boxed 1541. All in very good and tested condition.
I will do some more testing.
2020-08-26 11:08
chatGPZ

As said, a testprogram is needed that allows to properly see what happens. Guessing doesnt help :)
2021-04-06 14:45
Zibri
Account closed

Update:

this new version does not write a test track on track #36.
It uses a standard dos formatted disk and does not write to it at all.
Same accuracy as before (but it will f*ck up if the disk is not formatted or non standard).

https://github.com/Zibri/C64-1541-Speed-Test/blob/master/rpmNOW..

The downside is that there might be inaccuracies if the disk was formatted by a slower or faster drive but as long as you format it with the same drive it will work.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dymo/G★P
hedning/G★P
niallquinn
Didi/Laxity
iceout/Avatar/HF
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)