Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #197710 : Transwarp v0.64
2020-11-22 17:12
Krill

Release id #197710 : Transwarp v0.64

General Q&A thread, also report problems and error logs here.

... 162 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-11-23 22:03
Krill

Quoting Groepaz
probably best to check first if it does the same on real hardware :)
Usually yes, but that kind of stuff (custom ROMs) is almost always a software issue that can be perfectly reproduced and debugged in emulators.

In this case, i had to buffer and restore COMSAV from this list http://unusedino.de/ec64/technical/aay/c64/mapjd.htm to fix the wedge issue and not use a certain drive ROM routine in the boot code. =)
2020-11-23 22:40
Krill

User Comment
Submitted by GI-Joe [PM] on 23 November 2020
Wow, that's really fast. Unglaublich geiler shice ! what really deserves the name ;) But with the standard file format an x30 loader ? without hardware-gcr decoding or memory expansion in the floppy ? I'm very excited about these releases.
Will this also work with other devices at the same time on the iec bus like i.e. the trackloader by mafiosino ?
The 2-rev fallback loader for standard format is planned to work just fine with multiple drives on the bus, just like Transwarp is currently. :) (There is heavy ATN usage, but ATN responders running in the passive drives have been invented: S.T.F.U.)

But how fast it will ultimately be, we'll see. Mafiosino's loader is the current reference there, but i am aiming for a different approach.
2020-11-24 12:23
Capt'n Obvious
Account closed

@Krill thank you for the answer, of course I was thinking of VICs whith 40Kb of SRAM or even more via banking. But now you make me think about streaming, even on the 5Kb VIC.
2020-11-24 13:52
Krill

User Comment
Submitted by Sparta [PM] on 23 November 2020
A jaw dropping, innovative tool from the Loader King! I can't wait to check the code... I am sure it is full of gems. :)
Thanks! =) Okay, here's one gem, as we have talked about this stuff a while ago.

Sending bytes over serial.

The traditional method to send over bitpairs is this:
$1800 ----C-D- CLK and DATA
       ___|_|
      | __|
      vv
$DD00 DC------ go there.
Note how both bits are one bit apart in the send register but directly adjacent in the receive register, and they swap order on the way.
Both issues are usually solved by pre-scrambling or using look-up tables to do the scrambling.
This is a bit cumbersome, as it takes cycles and memory for the scrambling, or special pre-scrambled storage formats.

Now here's the trick: using ATNA.
$1800 ---DC-0- DATA and CLK
       __||
      | __|
      vv
$DD00 DC------ go there.
It's that simple! :D

Note that DATA OUT ($1800 bit 1) must be cleared, and that both methods presented here are performated with ATN being unasserted.
The new method works with ATN asserted (as does the traditional one), but then the usual EOR-bitflip (DATA and CLOCK signals going from drive to C-64 are inverted) is done only on CLK but not on DATA.

Now sending over complete bytes can be done like this:
            ; value to send is in accu, eor #$ff occurs on receiving side
            rol
            rol
            rol
            ldx #ATNA + CLKOUT
            [...]; wait here for ready-to-receive signal
            sax PB
            ror
            ror
            sax PB
            ror
            ror
            sax PB
            ror
            ror
            sax PB
Note how no lookup is required. Also both methods can be mixed for a byte, or the initial 3 RORs be removed, when data is pre-scrambled anyways, such that some bitpairs can be sent faster with just 6 cycles between updates.
2020-11-24 14:43
obliterator918

I would love to add this to my benchmark data at https://www.obliterator918.com/dtb/ ... but my code must be clobbering your loader. After saving then loading the data stream, it's just 1x. What part of memory do I need to preserve to make sure I don't clobber the loader?

Or, when a crt version comes out, will it work like other fast loaders and I won't have to worry about it?

Good job.
2020-11-24 15:01
chatGPZ

Right now it does only load files that were preprocessed by the not yet released encoder, and there is no saving - i guess that is your problem? :)
2020-11-24 15:07
obliterator918

Well yeah, that would do it, haha. I knew the load required specially encoded files, I just incorrectly assumed that saving files while it was loaded would do it. Obviously not, haha.
2020-11-24 15:50
Krill

Quoting obliterator918
I just incorrectly assumed that saving files while it was loaded would do it. Obviously not, haha.
A native saver will be added in a future version, and the cc1541 Transwarp encoder patch is yet to be finished and submitted.

But for now, you can just send me the files you'd like encoded, and i can send you the corresponding Transwarp images.
2020-11-24 16:03
Krill

Quoting obliterator918
Or, when a crt version comes out, will it work like other fast loaders and I won't have to worry about it?
The cartridge version is planned to be a replacement for Action Replay fastload + Warp*25. You will be able to both load and save files in standard format or Transwarp format. If it turns out as hoped, loading standard format files will be faster than 25x. =)
2020-11-24 21:00
BiGFooT

Quote: The USR files are encrypted. The key is a 40-bit CBM float, passed as 4th parameter to load. I.e.,
LOAD"CIPHERED",8,1,π
will load the first encrypted file with pi as the key (with previously installed Transwarp).

The challenge for the crackers is finding the key for the other encrypted file. There are only about a million million possibilities, so can be bruteforced. =)

Now can I load SMB64 pretty fast, huh? ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CreaMD/React
Airwolf/F4CG
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
kbs/Pht/Lxt
HCL/Booze Design
zscs