Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3140 : Intro Creation Compo 2021
2021-12-04 18:42
Richard

Event id #3140 : Intro Creation Compo 2021

I am very happy to announce that The annual Intro Creation Compo is here once again. There will be an entry to kick off the competition from me some time later on this or next week.

Didi currently has no time, and has allowed me to step in as host for this year's competition.

The competition runs from December 4th, 2021, until January 31st, 2021. So you have just under 2 months to deliver your creations. This should be enough for an intro.

RULES for both categories: (Same as last year's compo)
Your intro entry...
- has to work on a plain stock C64 (PAL standard) without any extensions.
- has to be a one-part intro. Short fade-ins and fade-outs are OK.
- has to contain at least one Logo at whatever size you like.
- has to contain a changing or moving text message (e.g. scrolling text, different lines fading in & out, etc.)
- has to be interruptable any time by pressing SPACE-key (exception are the short fade-in and fade-out).
- does not need to have exclusive graphics, charsets or music. But the code should be exclusive, so reuse of existing code with just exchanged graphics and music is not allowed.
- has not been publicly used before entering the competition.
- has to be handed in as executable format startable with RUN (.prg or embedded in .t64 or .d64).

Your 16kB intro...
- has a maximum RAM footprint of $4000 bytes at one block, at whatever location you like. Screen RAM counts as used memory. Exclusions are system addresses like VIC (inkl. Color RAM), SID, CIA, Stack, Zero-page, IRQ vectors. This means RAM besides chosen $4000 bytes area and exceptions has to be the same before and after running the intro. What happens during runtime is up to you.
- has to contain music (not just a humming sound, please).
- is linked to this competition as "C64 Demo" entry (sorry, no other fitting entry exists).

Your 4kB intro...
- has a maximum RAM footprint of $1000 bytes at one block, at whatever location you like. Screen RAM counts as used memory. Exclusions are system addresses like VIC (inkl. Color RAM), SID, CIA, Stack, Zero-page, IRQ vectors. This means RAM besides chosen $1000 bytes area and exceptions has to be the same before and after running the intro. What happens during runtime is up to you.
- does not have to contain any sound, but feel free to add some.
- is linked to this competition as "C64 4k Intro" entry.

You are allowed to enter maximum 3 entries per participant and category, so you can enter 6 entries at best. Entries might be taken back from the compo until deadline. That means if you want to remove one of your works from the compo to make space for another entry from you, this can be done until deadline.
Deadline for entry submission is 31st January 2022 at 00:00:00 GMT+0 (UK).
Voting closes 28 February 2022 at 00:00:00 GMT+0 (UK)
Voting platform is CSDb (with all disadvantages it may have), therefore entries have to be posted here.
Entries will be ranked by weighted average of CSDb votes. Entries with the same weighted average are ranked by their percentages of 10s, 9s, etc.

No prizes to win, all just for fun, and to share around the scene.

Have loads of fun.

PS: Please do not lock your entries on submission. This is because the problems I had with the CSDB Fun Compo 2021 when setting the results for each entry.

... 66 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2022-10-06 09:56
Krill

Quoting ChristopherJam
Ah, but how do you replace the bitsalad with a different bitsalad while still maintaining the old school workflow of the payload getting crunched along with the intro?
Secret test binary with other bitsalad doesn't have the $d000 restriction (but shouldn't be far off mark after crunch anyways), it's just to make sure that the payload is really unchanged, and only defined by size (i.e., replaceable).

Quoting ChristopherJam
I am once again forced to conclude that Groepaz Is Right - compo should just specify a nominal payload, and everyone gets to use the same one.
I thought that is basically what i just concurred with. :)
2022-10-06 10:12
ChristopherJam

Under Groepaz' proposal, my understanding is the payload may be compressed alongside the demo by the entrant (eg as per the workflow that Oswald described) - that makes it harder to replace, no? Particularly as the decompression might not be complete at the time the intro starts.
2022-10-06 13:50
Krill

Quoting ChristopherJam
Under Groepaz' proposal, my understanding is the payload may be compressed alongside the demo by the entrant (eg as per the workflow that Oswald described) - that makes it harder to replace, no? Particularly as the decompression might not be complete at the time the intro starts.
Partial decompression is not the traditional workflow, is it? =)

With both the payload and the intro being crunched en bloc (payload may still be lightly compressed but comes with its own decompressor), no problem replacing the payload, or is there?

But the 2nd blob is just an extra layer of validation, and sort of optional.
2022-10-06 16:06
Didi

I will not be organizing an ICC this year.
From my point of view it turned out that every year is too often and the amount of entries is very limited because of that. Let's head for 2023 instead. After the X party has been a good time in past years because the people were hot and some threw their leftovers from finished or unfinished party demos together for an intro.
2022-10-06 16:11
chatGPZ

Quote:
From my point of view it turned out that every year is too often and the amount of entries is very limited because of that.

srsly? ~20 entries is very limited? wtf
2022-10-06 21:24
TheRyk

almost 20 for 4K AND 16K, so alsmost 40 entries altogether last time -> not really too few.

however, I'd prefer categories 1K, 2K and 8 K this time for a change, 16K is boring :)
2022-10-06 22:06
Didi

ICC 2021 and before had 50+ entries. That was a lot. And some really awesome ones.

@ThRyk: Feel free to organize something different for a change. I may participate.
2022-10-06 22:17
chatGPZ

Quote:
ICC 2021 and before had 50+ entries. That was a lot. And some really awesome ones.

And it was an exception. Expecting that many entries in ANY compo is a bit... wtf
2022-10-07 09:31
Krill

Quoting TheRyk
16K is boring :)
I concur. That's practically unrestricted. =)
2022-10-07 09:39
Hein

Quote: Quoting TheRyk
16K is boring :)
I concur. That's practically unrestricted. =)

I've had good fun with 16k, though.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
TheRyk/MYD!
Acidchild/Padua
Mike
Gadget MCS/M.C.S.
Holy Moses/Role
Pantaloon/Fairlight