Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3140 : Intro Creation Compo 2021
2021-12-04 18:42
Richard

Event id #3140 : Intro Creation Compo 2021

I am very happy to announce that The annual Intro Creation Compo is here once again. There will be an entry to kick off the competition from me some time later on this or next week.

Didi currently has no time, and has allowed me to step in as host for this year's competition.

The competition runs from December 4th, 2021, until January 31st, 2021. So you have just under 2 months to deliver your creations. This should be enough for an intro.

RULES for both categories: (Same as last year's compo)
Your intro entry...
- has to work on a plain stock C64 (PAL standard) without any extensions.
- has to be a one-part intro. Short fade-ins and fade-outs are OK.
- has to contain at least one Logo at whatever size you like.
- has to contain a changing or moving text message (e.g. scrolling text, different lines fading in & out, etc.)
- has to be interruptable any time by pressing SPACE-key (exception are the short fade-in and fade-out).
- does not need to have exclusive graphics, charsets or music. But the code should be exclusive, so reuse of existing code with just exchanged graphics and music is not allowed.
- has not been publicly used before entering the competition.
- has to be handed in as executable format startable with RUN (.prg or embedded in .t64 or .d64).

Your 16kB intro...
- has a maximum RAM footprint of $4000 bytes at one block, at whatever location you like. Screen RAM counts as used memory. Exclusions are system addresses like VIC (inkl. Color RAM), SID, CIA, Stack, Zero-page, IRQ vectors. This means RAM besides chosen $4000 bytes area and exceptions has to be the same before and after running the intro. What happens during runtime is up to you.
- has to contain music (not just a humming sound, please).
- is linked to this competition as "C64 Demo" entry (sorry, no other fitting entry exists).

Your 4kB intro...
- has a maximum RAM footprint of $1000 bytes at one block, at whatever location you like. Screen RAM counts as used memory. Exclusions are system addresses like VIC (inkl. Color RAM), SID, CIA, Stack, Zero-page, IRQ vectors. This means RAM besides chosen $1000 bytes area and exceptions has to be the same before and after running the intro. What happens during runtime is up to you.
- does not have to contain any sound, but feel free to add some.
- is linked to this competition as "C64 4k Intro" entry.

You are allowed to enter maximum 3 entries per participant and category, so you can enter 6 entries at best. Entries might be taken back from the compo until deadline. That means if you want to remove one of your works from the compo to make space for another entry from you, this can be done until deadline.
Deadline for entry submission is 31st January 2022 at 00:00:00 GMT+0 (UK).
Voting closes 28 February 2022 at 00:00:00 GMT+0 (UK)
Voting platform is CSDb (with all disadvantages it may have), therefore entries have to be posted here.
Entries will be ranked by weighted average of CSDb votes. Entries with the same weighted average are ranked by their percentages of 10s, 9s, etc.

No prizes to win, all just for fun, and to share around the scene.

Have loads of fun.

PS: Please do not lock your entries on submission. This is because the problems I had with the CSDB Fun Compo 2021 when setting the results for each entry.

... 66 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-12-06 22:37
TheRyk

Quoting Krill
...Having a specified-size example file to link against (different secret file of same size for verification) is the only sensible restriction for an intro, imho.

Totally makes sense for crack intros.
Quoting Krill
... run-time size (not size on disk)

One big advantage of mere size on disk (whatever limit we're talking about) is: EASY to check if an entry is valid. Ain't it very painful to check each entry in monitor for rule-violating XXXX-bytes-block of RAM (plus all the exception such as ZP/IO/Tape Buffer and whatnot?
Quoting Krill

And 2K or 1K would mean about 62K of payload file, which basically never happened for cracks.

True, but as we haven't the word "crack" in the ICC, this shouldn't matter too much. However, as this is a coder thing, I can imagine there are many cool things you can do in 1k or 2k which, however might be a little unfair to compete with 4k.
Quoting Krill

Getting rid of 16K in favour of 8K seems okay, given that 16K is practically unrestricted and 8K quite a classic size for intros.

Full ack. This would be a change for the better imho.

Still, Richard's given the scepter, and if he says: Same procedure as last year, we can stop discussing.
2021-12-07 10:15
Raistlin

Quote: Quoting TheRyk
I do have suggestions for rules (e.g. get rid of "used RAM" in favor of crunched filesize, dump 16k in favour of 8 / 2 / 1k)
Having a specified-size example file to link against (different secret file of same size for verification) is the only sensible restriction for an intro, imho.

But 2K or even 1K are pretty much useless when it's run-time size (not size on disk), with 4K just being barely enough for a meaningful intro.
And 2K or 1K would mean about 62K of payload file, which basically never happened for cracks.

Getting rid of 16K in favour of 8K seems okay, given that 16K is practically unrestricted and 8K quite a classic size for intros.

I guess 62-63k intros are out of the question then :'-(

I'm not too used to working with less...

One day, I will enter this compo and amaze you all with how useless I am at writing compact code.
2021-12-07 14:37
MagerValp

Quoting Krill
Having a specified-size example file to link against (different secret file of same size for verification) is the only sensible restriction for an intro, imho.

This has been brought up every year. Every year it's ignored. 🤷🏼
2021-12-07 14:45
chatGPZ

Just like any other sensible suggestion :) It's a tradition so to say
2021-12-07 15:32
Raistlin

Quote: Quoting Krill

This has been brought up every year. Every year it's ignored. 🤷🏼

Makes a lot of sense to me, that file would be a huge help in testing for sure.
2021-12-08 23:17
TheRyk

Actually, Richard quickly answering my 2 questions with "NO" could have helped to skip that tradition. But no answer seems an answer, too, first entries are there, compo is running, so debating makes no sense anymore.

Must admit, I'm slightly disappointed, and in a beer mood even pondered to just launch 8k / 4k / 2k parallely, knowing (even after beer) it would create "Too many compos" drama or a feel of "compo compo". But sobered up, I made up my mind not to be the grinch (not this time, hehe).

So I'm definetely in - under same procedure than last/every year rules.

Still, I hope a mere filesized compo like 8K Intro Competition 2017 (maybe with additional 4k / 2k [1k?] subcategories but with straightforward rule FILESIZE) will return some day or a crack(!) intro compo where runtime RAM is predetermined by some file to link... AFTER this ICC is over...

End of rant :)
2021-12-09 00:27
Krill

Quoting TheRyk
<stuff>
I applaud and welcome all your ideas, good sir! =)
2021-12-09 14:44
Richard

The ICC 2021 is intended to have no change in categories, keeping it traditional as how the competition was run the past few years.

1K, 2K intros can be submitted into the 4K category

anything over 4K in the 16KB category.

I understand you want a few additional categories, but all I am trying to do is follow last year's competition like how Didi organized it.

Amendment 4K intro rule:

I was asked a question about the 4K rule.

If you create an intro which starts from *$0800 - $1800* unpacked. You should *not* use screen RAM $0400-$07e8, unless it is being used as a *memory transfer* routine for relocating your linked game.

A typical 4K intro memory 4096 bytes ($1000 bytes):

You could use

$0800-$0c00 - for a custom made charset
^^ Try to keep amount of chars to a minimum if you can
$0c00-$0fe8 - as screen RAM
$1000-$1800 - for code, and other pointers/tables, etc.
$1800-$ffff - where program gets linked

Using Exomizer, PuCrunch, Byte Boiler or any other cruncher after coding the intro is not an issue.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iAN CooG/HVSC
Linus/MSL
LDX#40
Pantaloon/Fairlight
mayor/Taongad/Wide L..
psych