Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #228399 : Big Droid
2023-01-19 19:48
RobertRamsay(PiXelburner)
Account closed

Release id #228399 : Big Droid

I wonder who decided to upload these images originally posted on my itch page... who created the RRFreelance handle I wonder? Come forth ye mysterious beast and confess ye actions or suffer in silence for I shall not make or post any more of my images so freely in future.

... 52 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-01-21 00:11
Account closed

Quote: Terrible precedents have been there all the time. However, this is the first time I've seen the "artist" resist being credited for it ... this is what I like about the discussion.

Shocker/Onslaught

Indeed, for me this is a good debate to be having... I feel the conclusion is obvious. Do art the right way, be proud of what you make and don't fake the art, it won't stick.
2023-01-21 00:13
El Jefe

Quote: I meant matte painting, where you put an image together from photos, fix them up a bit to make some sense. Then I suppose one would convert it, stylise and clean it up etc. Like how different is this from using reference or 3D models?

Agree with Groepaz, if it is your own creation that you use in other platform tools, its legit. Otherwise there is not much merit behind it, given the array of tools that is available nowadays.

Shocker/Onslaught
2023-01-21 00:31
Account closed

Quote: Agree with Groepaz, if it is your own creation that you use in other platform tools, its legit. Otherwise there is not much merit behind it, given the array of tools that is available nowadays.

Shocker/Onslaught

Yep, makes sense. In this case, the a.i images I have generated are a collaboration of humans skill and I've basically mediated those to become C64 bitmaps... nothing really special about it.
2023-01-21 07:52
Hein

I'm curious why you've converted it to c64 format and do some cleaning up? Why an 8-bit graphics format? I can imagine you'd maybe want to photobash something, and then work on it in lets say in Procreate to get to a final image.

Nothing wrong with doing experiments in any way, though. With the risk of raising eyebrows here and there.
2023-01-21 08:00
Account closed

Quote: I'm curious why you've converted it to c64 format and do some cleaning up? Why an 8-bit graphics format? I can imagine you'd maybe want to photobash something, and then work on it in lets say in Procreate to get to a final image.

Nothing wrong with doing experiments in any way, though. With the risk of raising eyebrows here and there.

I just referring to different workflows to create C64 bitmaps as the intended final image. Everyone has different approaches, maybe sketching in their sketch book then scanning, fixing it up a bit, converting to C64 MC bitmap then doing the final work.

I've seen some artists make full 3D models, render them, convert to MC bitmap and finish them.

If my intention is a full 24bit colour image with no restrictions then yeah, I'd make it that way and do, I have some actual work like that.

I grew up with the C64, making bitmaps with a joystick and was pretty popular when showing friends this stuff, buying my demoscene disks on a weekly basis to get inspired. I do this for the nostalgia, to see how far things can get pushed with new approaches these days.

I honestly don't mind eyebrows, it's the long tangly ones that I don't really like though, they need trimmed a bit.
2023-01-21 10:16
Morpheus

First of all, thanks Robert for being open and honest about the creation of these images. There was never a question of you trying to hide anything, so kudos to you!

Here are my thoughts:

To have AI images and images found on the web as the base of your image (or indeed the whole image) does not belong in the same top ranking/category as those who do everything from scratch. And if an image is converted in one of the many art programs that's out there, then what's the point? An idiot can do that. It must be very frustrating for someone that spends 60-100 hours on an image to for instance be beaten in a graphics compo by someone that's been taking shortcuts. So yeah, for compos I think the art should be 100% original and I do hope parties and compos online request work stages for entries in the future.

But what if you want to do a portrait of a celebrity? Can’t you use a reference image? Some artists are better at composing an image compared to pixelling it from scratch. Are those guys not supposed to do C64 art? Of course they should, as long as sources are being provided.

I would love to hear what other active graphic artists think about all this. I'm sure there are many opinions and I'm sure we can keep the discussion civil.
2023-01-21 10:16
Morpheus

Hedning, if Robert doesn't want the images here, why re-add them against his will?
2023-01-21 10:30
Hein

In my opinion it's up to the artist to decide how/what to share about the art/process. Else an artist is subject to karma police regulations, which are totally different for every individual viewer or listener.

If it comes to portrait, it's quite obvious that an artist uses reference material in some way, be it life model or photos. Not every artist is a savant with photographic memory.
2023-01-21 11:06
Account closed

I remember back in the day using a mirror to make my own face as an animated sprite on the C64, actually I used the action replay cart to edit one of the faces from a demoscene demo.. I forget the name of it.. Grafixmania or something. The results were hilarious and impressive, my sister thought I programmed the whole demo haha!
2023-01-21 11:08
Account closed

Quote: Hedning, if Robert doesn't want the images here, why re-add them against his will?

It's okay now. I'm exposed and rolling with the punches I guess! =D
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
aegis/ascraeus/r3turn
megasoftargentina
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Matt
Smasher/F4CG