Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #20965 : Mortalis Arisen 90%
2005-09-27 14:13
CyberBrain
Administrator

Release id #20965 : Mortalis Arisen 90%

Continuing the discussion from http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=20965&show=review

@The Dark Judge: i see your point, a release should be a prod that has been released. :) But party-entries that has not been released (at least not in the form they were in when competing) is a special-case i think. I know that the word "release" might be a bit off in this case...
But even though it's unfurtunate, it's something that has happened a lotta times through history, but that shouldn't mean that CSDb shouldn't have the complete party-results for these parties imo. I don't think it's been a problem till now?

Maybe some people would argue that we should just set the 100% version to be the winner of the party. But that would be wrong imo, as it wasn't the prod that won.

A good solution would be to go back in time and force a rule on each party: "ALL COMPETING ENTRIES WILL BE SPREAD NO MATTER IF THEY'RE FINISHED OR NOT!!!!"

... 52 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-09-27 21:13
Tim

Quote: mmmmm, Dutch Breeze wasn't 100% at Silicon Party, and it wasn't released as such, but fixed and released after the party.

Having said that, it contradicts my opinion nowadays. I think it shows bravery if a team releases a 90% demo. (And possibly update it later to a 100%, if they still want that)

And frankly, I think I will not miss the 10% of the discussed demo anyway.

Well bravery in a certain way. The organizer of the party gets the blame. I remember some angry people came for an explenation afterwards why we had Dutch Breeze enter the contest. On the other hand I was very glad ofcourse that BML decided to release it on a Silicon Party :)

In the end it is up to the organisation wether they want to have unfinished entries participate in their competition. As long as they make this clear in the rules before the competition you won't hear me complain.

This discussion should be aimed at wether unfinished entries should be listed in CSDB. For the sake of clarity I should say yes when they are released to the public (even when they are not downloadable) in a certain way. I guess it breaks down to this:

Pro
Party organiser can list it as competition entry
People can look for it in the db on short term
The group can link the release entry to the 100% version when finished

Contra
Different versions add up to the release total
2005-09-28 08:19
Graham
Account closed

A demo is never really finished, and if you spent 2 years on a production and worked your ass off to be able to compete with it, you should be allowed to fix some glitches. And even if it isn't allowed: I wouldn't give a damn and just release a 100% version. How on earth could you stop me?
2005-09-28 09:57
Hein

@TiM: Angry people? Must have been TDJ. ;)
2005-09-28 10:10
TDJ

Quote: @TiM: Angry people? Must have been TDJ. ;)

Not really - I wasn't present at that party. Also, we pulled the same trick half a year earlier, by not releasing Visual Delight even though we won the compo.

Still there's a difference between competing and not getting it finished, and knowing beforehand that you're not going to release it. In that last case I'd say: don't compete with it.
2005-09-28 10:28
Hein

@TDJ, and lets not forget the 1 year it took to fix that VD2 bug. ;) And, you're right, you wasn't at that party, so my bad. Guess it was Ben then.

I guess the last 10% of a production are the most difficult to finish. Those 10% can easily grow into 20% or more. And before we know it, it takes the same amount of time to finish the last 10% as the first 90%.
2005-09-28 10:46
TDJ

Quote: @TDJ, and lets not forget the 1 year it took to fix that VD2 bug. ;) And, you're right, you wasn't at that party, so my bad. Guess it was Ben then.

I guess the last 10% of a production are the most difficult to finish. Those 10% can easily grow into 20% or more. And before we know it, it takes the same amount of time to finish the last 10% as the first 90%.

VD2 was a different story: I actually 'stole' the disk back from the organizers with some lame excuse. Still we (Mirage, Jayce & me) were really planning on finishing it *at* The Party 3, not our fault it took over a year to do so ;Z

But that was a long time ago and I'm a better person now so that gives me the right to throw rocks at all those dirty mothafunkers that compete with unfinished products.

And no, I will not comment on the words "Primary Star 2004" and "Primary Scar", thankyouverymuch.
2005-09-28 10:48
Hein

hehe, ok.. so you are a better person since, lets say, yesterday?
2005-09-28 10:51
TDJ

Quote: hehe, ok.. so you are a better person since, lets say, yesterday?

Sure.
2005-09-28 10:52
Hein

That looks like a comment to me.
2005-09-28 11:05
Nightlord

i wasn't at the party so there is something that i do not understand. Could someone explain this

at the primary star web site it says the compo machine is a PAL c64 with 1541

you guys are saying the 64 ever demo only works with a 1571

so it did not work on the announced compo machine and the organizers still let it enter the compo and even went as far as to change the compo machine configuration.

and the demo won the compo.

did i misunderstand something?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Frostbyte/Artline De..
Gordian
csabanw
Slaze
iceout/Avatar/HF
stephan-a