Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #20965 : Mortalis Arisen 90%
2005-09-27 14:13
CyberBrain
Administrator

Release id #20965 : Mortalis Arisen 90%

Continuing the discussion from http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=20965&show=review

@The Dark Judge: i see your point, a release should be a prod that has been released. :) But party-entries that has not been released (at least not in the form they were in when competing) is a special-case i think. I know that the word "release" might be a bit off in this case...
But even though it's unfurtunate, it's something that has happened a lotta times through history, but that shouldn't mean that CSDb shouldn't have the complete party-results for these parties imo. I don't think it's been a problem till now?

Maybe some people would argue that we should just set the 100% version to be the winner of the party. But that would be wrong imo, as it wasn't the prod that won.

A good solution would be to go back in time and force a rule on each party: "ALL COMPETING ENTRIES WILL BE SPREAD NO MATTER IF THEY'RE FINISHED OR NOT!!!!"
2005-09-27 14:41
Tim

This sure is a tough one. As a former party organiser I am strongly in favour of the rule that all entries will be spread. Imo it should be listed as a release as it actually competed at a competition. Theoretically they can release a 100% or maybe a 110% version with a number of new screens that competes again at another party in which case it is a different release.

Coming to think of it, I will retract our PS release and re-release it as a 50% version. We will add some more parts and have it compete at another party again next year. Now I understand what is meant with 4ever ;)
2005-09-27 15:43
drake
Account closed

nicely ;-)

first thing i want to mention that it shouldn't be my thing to say that a 90% demo should not compete with other demos. and i agree that it should be spreaded anyway because it's a release. the word just say it: "release"

on the other hand, exile told me that the demo should run on an emulator and would load in a 1571 diskdrive but can crash while running in a 1541 drive. they want to fix that first...a pity that i knew about this demo a few minutes before the compos started. but that's just me.

-2 start press any key..where is the any key?-
2005-09-27 15:45
Zyron

I've always had the opinion that unfinished productions never should be allowed in the compos unless it's ok to spread them afterwards, it's unfair for those who has struggled a lot to get their production ready if something unfinished wins.
2005-09-27 16:55
Nafcom

Quote: nicely ;-)

first thing i want to mention that it shouldn't be my thing to say that a 90% demo should not compete with other demos. and i agree that it should be spreaded anyway because it's a release. the word just say it: "release"

on the other hand, exile told me that the demo should run on an emulator and would load in a 1571 diskdrive but can crash while running in a 1541 drive. they want to fix that first...a pity that i knew about this demo a few minutes before the compos started. but that's just me.

-2 start press any key..where is the any key?-

Releases that do not work in 1541 I or II and a real C64 should not be allowed also unfinished demos should not be allowed in competitions
2005-09-27 17:57
Oswald

Quote: Releases that do not work in 1541 I or II and a real C64 should not be allowed also unfinished demos should not be allowed in competitions

how do you decide wether its finished ? :) The smarter rule is: ALL release must get spreaded after the party.
2005-09-27 17:59
Oswald

and btw,

before I released soiled legacy it was _shown_ before/after the demo compo at a hun party, but OUTSIDE the compo. and the unfinished final is spread until today, that took part in the X compo...
2005-09-27 18:22
raven
Account closed

Quote: I've always had the opinion that unfinished productions never should be allowed in the compos unless it's ok to spread them afterwards, it's unfair for those who has struggled a lot to get their production ready if something unfinished wins.

@Zyron:
Unfair how exactly?
If something unfinished wins, all it means is the voters liked it the most (usually).
How is this unfair to the other releases?

A prod being unfinished doesnt mean its creators
didnt struggle to get it ready to be shown, somehow.
2005-09-27 18:27
Nafcom

Quote: how do you decide wether its finished ? :) The smarter rule is: ALL release must get spreaded after the party.

Quote: Releases that do not work in 1541 I or II and a real C64, e.g. are in my opinion.
2005-09-27 18:35
Zyron

Quote: @Zyron:
Unfair how exactly?
If something unfinished wins, all it means is the voters liked it the most (usually).
How is this unfair to the other releases?

A prod being unfinished doesnt mean its creators
didnt struggle to get it ready to be shown, somehow.

All entries should compete under the same conditions.
2005-09-27 19:08
Tch
Account closed

All this fussing about ´rules´ is understandable.
But as it was shown during the demo-compo and I really liked it a lot,I voted accordingly.
It was only afterwards, that we found out, it wasn´t eligible for voting. :(

A demo that ísn´t finished (for whatever reason) shouldn´t take part in compos.
If you feel the need to participate in one,just wait for the next opportunity and avoid this ´disgrace´.
I think the demo is very good and wouldn´t have much problems being recognised as such,anytime!!

... 52 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Chrom_
Mason/Unicess
Matt
Knobby/Role
Laurent
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)