Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #26367 : Retro Replay ROM v3.8p
2006-01-09 11:55
hannenz
Account closed

Release id #26367 : Retro Replay ROM v3.8p

there seems to be a whole lot of confusion about this release, so i want to explain it a little.

There (definitley) is a bug in the ProgramFlasher v3.8b which is envoked by TOOL from the latest RR-ROM v3.8b. (yes, they have same version numbers.)
There are FlashUtilities Versions v0.04 & v0.05 which seem to work well but won't work on the newer revisions of RR (red board), because they don't recognise the new M29F010B FlashROM which replaced the M29F010 on older RRs.
So, owners of the new (red, revision 2004) board can't use the v0.04/ v0.05 FlashUtility and the v3.8b-one has a bug in it concerning (only!) the PROGRAM FLASHER. (Flashing whole ROMs works with v3.8b fine)

The bug is a fact. I know because i fixed it. Believe me!!
(Flashing Programs will work, but they fail to "load" after power up, because the "download" routine, which should be executed in RAM is executed in FlashROM, which crashes the machine)

I fixed this bug and "released" FlashUtiliuty v3.8p (i called it "p" because of "patch") here in CSDb.

Then I told Jens Schoenfeld about this patch and he asked me to fix the whole RR-ROM v3.8b so that he can ship RRs with the patched FlashUtility from now on. To get it straight, I called the ROM v3.8p as well. (I didn't start with confusing version numbers...;))

And to get another thing clear: I am not a member of Cyberpunx or such. I simply recognised the bug and did a fix to it. Unfortunately I couldn't get in contact with Count Zero until now.
This is no official Cyaberpunx release.

Furthermore this ROM is nothing more than the v3.8b-ROM, it just saves the patched FlashUtility v3.8p to disk when typing TOOL.
This ROM is intended to replace the v3.8b on future shipping of the RR, there's no need to update, there is a version of the FlashUtility v3.8p here in CSDb as stand-alone as well. Simply download this and use it if you want to have a working ProgramFlasher on your (new, red board) RR. Owners of older RRs can use the FlashUtility v0.05.

Hope to get some things clearer now!

... 38 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-01-10 21:35
RaveGuru

I'm thinking of setting up an open phpBB forum with added file upload/download support. Thus it would be possible for everybody to exchange files easily. What do you guys think?
2006-01-11 07:17
Frantic

If it's not too much hassle for you, then I guess it is worth a try at least? (However, I have a feeling that C0 stopped caring a long time ago anyway.)
2006-01-11 08:08
iopop

@raveguru: Im gonna kill your enthusiasm!

There's already a rr-net, mmc64 and whatever hardware forum at http://forum-64.de/wbb2/ . Though it suffers the usual thing - that most likely everything is written in german.
2006-01-11 09:27
RaveGuru

*Sigh*

When are our german friends gonna learn? ;)

So I suppose it's time to go international then. Well, it's not much hassle to set it up since i'm kind of used to phpBB by now. I actually took time and prepared a SQL database last night so it's all just a few button pushes away now. My only concern is, will enough people use it? I guess we'll see soon! :)

2006-01-11 09:43
Steppe

You know, people at the forum-64 are not overly strict about german as long as the persons posting there can provide some creative input. So just do a hostile english takeover. ;-)
2006-01-11 15:29
FMan
Account closed

Quote: You know, people at the forum-64 are not overly strict about german as long as the persons posting there can provide some creative input. So just do a hostile english takeover. ;-)

I dislike forum-64.de because they don't even allow downloading of attached files without being registered, which in turn requires you to fill a 20-page form! :P Anyway, thanks to hannenz for giving the information, although naming the ROM 3.8p is a very confusing version. :)

It's about time these things are told to people. The whole RR has been shrouded in mystery with much information kept secret. Which is only made worse by the Cyberpunx website not carrying new versions and last updated over THREE YEARS ago!

Changing from FlashUtil 5 to version 3.8 was extremely confusing! Until it was explained that "5" was in fact 0.05... And having fought with "no FlashROM found" I am annoyed that no-one took the time to tell buyers that it doesn't work with new RRs.

Owning a C128, it was also a big surprise that the crappy cart is extremely unreliable on a 128! Jens could've done a *LOT* better job on documentation instead of putting down IDE64...

What is the dedicated mailinglist? Are there any RR developers? At least there is some programming info for it, but MMC64-related material has apparently been classified. Oliver Achten promised to release it, but hasn't. Didn't also reply my email.
2006-01-11 18:20
RaveGuru

This is really annoying! Why do such a thing? The documentation on RRnet, even if scrouny, is at least publicly available.

I don't want to compete with forum-64.de, but since it's mainly in german and also is intended for a lot more than RR developing, I think it could still be useful to put up a little RR devlopers forum. Well enough talking.. time for action! And then time will tell....

2006-01-11 18:44
TNT
Account closed

Quoting Shumway
MMC64-related material has apparently been classified

Bah, you have register descriptions and even some MMC/SD programming examples, what else do you need? :)
2006-01-11 19:55
RaveGuru

Ok guys, here it is: http://rrforum.ath.cx

Come and help putting the corner stones!
2006-01-12 01:05
Nafcom

Quote: Ok guys, here it is: http://rrforum.ath.cx

Come and help putting the corner stones!

great! I have registered! :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Bieno/Commodore Plus
iAN CooG/HVSC
Airwolf/F4CG
t0m3000/ibex-crew
Linus/MSL
Laddh