Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #30240 : Reel Fishing Preview
2006-03-22 14:18
Radiant

Release id #30240 : Reel Fishing Preview

Discussion is better left to the forums, I guess, so here goes.

Apparently some clarifications are in order. I have nothing against PTV at all, and I'm not involved in the cracking scene. I do enjoy a bit of game development myself.

However, I can't understand what problems PTV have with seeing cracks of their games on CSDb, especially since PTV are "not commercial" (according to MacGyver, at least). And even if they were, no sane person could believe that today's C64 games are sold less because of cracking.

Having your game cracked is an advantage really, since it increases the chance that people will play it, find that they like it, and place an order. But apparently this is not how PTV see it, and disagreeing with them entails having their coders throw fits and leave, which supposedly is going to "kill the scene". Bah.

... 30 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-03-22 20:40
DCMP
Account closed

On the one hand this whole "non cracking PTV games" case seems
like a battle that shouldn't be. Can't stop copying or cracking of any software. But still, I think it's too bad that it has to come so far with all these long discussions and people leaving the scene. I mean if so discontent in this situation , maybe PTV could go back to cracking themselves, be a demo group, whatever, so they can still be active and appreciated. Courage was a friendly guy imho. Too bad it ended this way. (though fuckings to Mac Gyver )
2006-03-22 21:03
TDJ

I still have no clue why TCH & me were the first to get 'fuckings' from that friendly guy though ..
2006-03-22 21:14
Tch
Account closed

...Following DCMP..
The same thoughts have crossed my mind.
Making games is a lot of work!
And recognition will mostly be low.because most games are just combinations of old ideas.
Besides,it is hard to improve on something that used to have some 20+ developers working together.
Also,demo-coding is completely different from game-coding.. ;)
2006-03-22 21:19
Tch
Account closed

Quote: I still have no clue why TCH & me were the first to get 'fuckings' from that friendly guy though ..

Yeps,I think Courage was just pissed off when he read something from us.
He believes I only write nasty comments all the time.. X(
It has been a while since he visited CSDb. ;)
POMTIPOMTIDOM.
2006-03-22 21:22
Zyron

I never had anything to do with him, he told me to fuck off anyway...
2006-03-22 22:02
Jazzcat

CreamD maybe feels this way and defends this "particular" case because he is married to Thunderblade/Protovision's sister? That is not a problem, but surely wouldn't make his views any more objective.

It's interesting that he finds the time to rant here yet not the time to properly maintain a central news station for the C64. But that is seperate to this thread however and interesting point made earlier.

Regarding cracks, they will always exist, some people will like them, some people won't. What matters here is how people choose to live in the C64 world. Obviously some people are struggling, which is okay, but there is no one else to blame but yourself for this struggle.

2006-03-22 23:22
CreaMD

Quote: CreamD maybe feels this way and defends this "particular" case because he is married to Thunderblade/Protovision's sister? That is not a problem, but surely wouldn't make his views any more objective.

It's interesting that he finds the time to rant here yet not the time to properly maintain a central news station for the C64. But that is seperate to this thread however and interesting point made earlier.

Regarding cracks, they will always exist, some people will like them, some people won't. What matters here is how people choose to live in the C64 world. Obviously some people are struggling, which is okay, but there is no one else to blame but yourself for this struggle.

1+2 paragraph

I could say cracker's favourite phrases like you've got no clue.. but I won't ;-)

Another paragraph also doesn't have anything with proper ontopic argumentation. (btw. reread thread about Tanks 3000 again maybe you could answer some of my questions that would be more useful. ;-)

The last paragraph is also not very helpful.

There is one question for you in Reel Fishing reactions btw.

Family relations:

- Thunderblade + MacGyver = brothers
- Thunderblade => ex-PTV.
- Jana = Womana = my sister.
- Womana + Thb => married
- Me + Mac + Thb => brothers in love

It's quite funny that someone tries to analyze my motivations and make sensational conclusions typical for yellow press. So you analyze me, tell me what should I do and what I should not. Accuse me of supporting this or that. Ah yeah... does anyone want my autograph? ;-)

I wonder how Courage vs the world is connected to my Ex-PTV brother in love who is living hapilly out of the scene Fuzz? Especially when I don't know Courage personally and never communicated with him at all.

Back to Earth and back to topic please!

And as this is getting too surrealistic again, I rather say ...

EOT for me... let's crawl back under the rock.
2006-03-22 23:35
chatGPZ

mmmh cant help, DCMP sending fuckings to Mac Gyver makes me smile :o) (*hugs DCMP*)
2006-03-23 02:16
Jazzcat

LOL. What a mess indeed. Seems CreamD needs to spend more time organising SIDplay compos and maintaining his website rather than expressing his muchly rejected opinions regarding matters he has never been involved with himself. Of course, this in itself is just an opinion. I don't expect the "oldie-basher" to really adhere to it. The thread is just a mixture of opinions, no real progress will be made, things will continue as they were.

Next.
2006-03-23 04:46
Wanderer
Account closed

Quote: LOL. What a mess indeed. Seems CreamD needs to spend more time organising SIDplay compos and maintaining his website rather than expressing his muchly rejected opinions regarding matters he has never been involved with himself. Of course, this in itself is just an opinion. I don't expect the "oldie-basher" to really adhere to it. The thread is just a mixture of opinions, no real progress will be made, things will continue as they were.

Next.

David,

Take a long good hard look at the releases you put out.

They consist of mainly unfinished productions, abandoned by their authors for any number of reasons. In many of those cases the programmers left for brighter markets, sunnier days, or simply lost interest.

I think it's safe to say that most of these previews will never see the light of day. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that these are being released...better to see some audience than to rot away on an old disk somewhere.

The fact of the matter is, if you've been around as long as I have, and I know that you have, you KNOW the scene has gone through a transition.

The games have dried up. Undeniable.

Cracking old games has become acceptable. Undeniable.

I mean, there are only so many ways a person can justify releasing fucking Tooth Invaders just because some asshole comes along and says, "Gee I can include documentation and throw on 3 trainers. Wooot!!" :)

The ability to crunch files is now better, and of course training is very easy, as is the ability to type in "common sense" docs.

It all looks nice, I mean a smaller file, built in documentation, but if the game worked 100% to start with and was played back in 1986, I highly doubt anyone's going to go YAHOOO!!!! and dig through their dusty old disks just to replace their old version with a 20 block smaller one.

In the 'new scene' as I call it, this would have been laughed at and ridiculed had someone done it years ago. If the game works, why bother re-releasing it?

...because I have an original copy and I can beat the older version. So??? What??? I could easily go through tons of originals and put them out, trained, but they worked 100% back then - and even if its packed better, the world just does not care.

Talk about living in the past, blow the dust off some old originals rather than focus on keeping the scene alive.

Getting back on tangent here... Richard Bayliss puts out software and people ridicule it (from what I've seen). I put out an honest effort, ridiculed (although it was aimed at two sceners lol). It seems any person's attempt to create is met with ridicule because it doesn't meet someone elses standards.

One person releases an adventure game, Troep slaps an intro on it for no reason other than saving a few blocks in size. Someone makes a game to try and turn a profit from, Troep slaps an intro on it and uploads it although it was never protected.

Now my bread and butter on the scene was made on the cracking scene, and I always said that we were contributing to our own demise. That demise is now here.

The proof? Look at Reel Fishing, abandoned because Troep felt they just had to release an unprotected game meant for profit. "That's the way the scene has always worked" you say, and indeed it has.

That's why previews and re-releases is all the scene is ever going to be until people learn that it is perfectly acceptable to sit down and CODE YOUR OWN material.

Don't live on the memories of what you did 10 years ago. If you're around today, you can very well produce.

Been there done it. Bought the T-shirt. And now I'm waving goodbye. :)

You don't have to agree with my opinion, but understand you're going in reverse not forward.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mr. SID
Alakran_64
Scooby/G★P/Light
bexxx
Krill/Plush
psych