Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #39893 : Ultima IV Gold
2006-09-11 18:18
FMan
Account closed

Release id #39893 : Ultima IV Gold

It's great that MV has released a new version of one of the greatest games of the 1980s! I wasn't serious saying it's useless and I did add *for me* only. :P

Maybe I should have tested the release first, before commenting on it. ;-) The savegame editor is cool, but I'd like a user's manual for it.

I love the fact that the original game manuals are online, but I missed some documentation for the added features. For example, what does "Avoid combat" mean? Or "Ingame keys"?

I couldn't get the game to work. It crashed, flashing the borders and nothing happens anymore. Is that when I should have flipped the disk? I'd like not having to guess...

MagerValp, you didn't say anything in your PM, so how about an MMC or REU version for completely diskfree playing experience now that you know everything about this game?

... 12 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-09-11 19:23
Burglar

Quote: No, it wasn't a joke, but I knew readers of my message would not understand... How can you play the game if ingame keys are off because they are essential to Ultima IV?

Apparently it referts to the cheat keys, but how can you use those keys for other purposes anyway, since the game already uses all keys as it is?

common sense would say that those 2 keys will be remapped to a cheat function.
2006-09-11 20:20
TNT
Account closed

Quote:
MagerValp, you didn't say anything in your PM, so how about an MMC or REU version for completely diskfree playing experience now that you know everything about this game?

I've heard from a reliable source that there already is MMC64/IDE64 version which just needs finishing touches and updating one MMC64 plugin :)
2006-09-11 20:23
MagerValp

As for the trainers, I guess you didn't read the documentation :) They're all explained in there. The "ingame keys" are only remapped when they're not used (T is useless in britannia, B only works if you're not on top of something that can be boarded).

As for disk flipping, you should flip once when the game tells you to (or a larger drive ;). If the border changes color, the disk has read errors. Format a fresh disk and transfer the game again.

Now, when it comes to REU/GeoRam, I decided against it for several reasons. There would be a very long wait for the 800 blocks to load when starting up. I'd also have to add code to load/save from disk, while loading game files from ram. Together with the fact that the game is plenty fast loading from disk, it just wasn't worth the trouble. If someone wants to do it I'll gladly supply the files though.

An MMC or IDE64 version would make more sense, but the main problem is that the IFFL system assumes one byte each for track/sector/offset. A completely different system would be needed for non-C= filesystems. I also don't own either device, making it hard to develop :)
2006-09-11 20:24
MagerValp

Quote: Quote:

I've heard from a reliable source that there already is MMC64/IDE64 version which just needs finishing touches and updating one MMC64 plugin :)

And yes, there is that... :)
2006-09-11 20:51
FMan
Account closed

Quote: As for the trainers, I guess you didn't read the documentation :) They're all explained in there. The "ingame keys" are only remapped when they're not used (T is useless in britannia, B only works if you're not on top of something that can be boarded).

As for disk flipping, you should flip once when the game tells you to (or a larger drive ;). If the border changes color, the disk has read errors. Format a fresh disk and transfer the game again.

Now, when it comes to REU/GeoRam, I decided against it for several reasons. There would be a very long wait for the 800 blocks to load when starting up. I'd also have to add code to load/save from disk, while loading game files from ram. Together with the fact that the game is plenty fast loading from disk, it just wasn't worth the trouble. If someone wants to do it I'll gladly supply the files though.

An MMC or IDE64 version would make more sense, but the main problem is that the IFFL system assumes one byte each for track/sector/offset. A completely different system would be needed for non-C= filesystems. I also don't own either device, making it hard to develop :)

What documentation? No, I didn't read coz I didn't find any... All right, so "Play disk" is the backside. I also got the colorflash in Vice. Maybe it was messed up by the Retro Replay that doesn't work in C128. Thanks for the help!!

Common sense cannot usually be applied to C64 cracks. Especially those that are over 100 %. If you reuse keys already used it leaves open how their original use works and I reiterate my stand that I'd rather not guess.

Now that MV explained the issue, it makes perfect sense actually to use the Board button to cheat something to board on. :) But I never cheat. Ehh... I'm very glad to hear about an MMC64 version!
2006-09-11 22:38
MagerValp

readme.txt inside the zip file. Kinda hard to miss :) HTML versions of the original game manuals can also be found on the homepage (and there's a link to it in the documentation directory inside the zip).

The crack was developed on my C128DCR with TFR+RR-Net, so I'm quite confident that that's not your problem. If you're getting flashing borders in VICE, something seriously screwed up...
2006-09-23 08:03
FMan
Account closed

Quote: readme.txt inside the zip file. Kinda hard to miss :) HTML versions of the original game manuals can also be found on the homepage (and there's a link to it in the documentation directory inside the zip).

The crack was developed on my C128DCR with TFR+RR-Net, so I'm quite confident that that's not your problem. If you're getting flashing borders in VICE, something seriously screwed up...

I tried to reply last week, but my message somehow was lost. Let's try again. Nevertheless, I managed to miss your docs. My bad, sorry. RR does not work on my C128, except with WarpCopy. Maybe that's haunted too. I forget what else I said in the first lost message. Well, nothing important, I'm sure. :) BTW, still waiting for the update on your di code. ;)
2006-09-25 18:14
Trurl

This is a very very very very cool version! I didn't have the patience to wait for the ide64 version so I've been playing this on the 1541 and it works soooo nice.

One thing I really could use though is a pause option. Or is there one already?

t
2006-09-26 00:57
Style

MV, have you considered doing 'Gunship Gold'?
2006-09-26 07:18
MagerValp

Trurl: Press Z-tats. The game will sit on the stats screen until you press a key.

Style: Nope, sorry.

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
hedning/G★P
Alakran_64
Bert/RDS
msolajic
iAN CooG/HVSC