Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #4751 : Cincinnati Commodore Computer Club
2007-04-10 01:11
Moloch

Group id #4751 : Cincinnati Commodore Computer Club

This is a user group and _not_ a scene group... why is there an entry for it here?
2007-04-10 04:15
BAR.
Account closed

Dear Moloch,

what is an user group ?

Could you please tell me the difference beetween driven magazine stuff and this entry ? Is this a magazine group ? Is any new CSDB member a scener ? In my eyes if you make differences (I never made one) than this forum wasn't that like it is.

Remember: They organize meetings for everyone. :)

But thanks to the guy who delete my entry at once without
any comment or p.m.

THIS IS "SCENE" NOWADAYS.. ?
NO, This is CSDB and some stupids around..

2007-04-10 06:01
Jon
Account closed

"In my eyes if you make differences (I never made one) than this forum wasn't that like it is."

This has got to be the greatest thing ever written ever.

-Ninj
2007-04-10 06:33
Scout

I vote for a deletion of this entry.
2007-04-10 06:42
A Life in Hell
Account closed

Quote: Dear Moloch,

what is an user group ?

Could you please tell me the difference beetween driven magazine stuff and this entry ? Is this a magazine group ? Is any new CSDB member a scener ? In my eyes if you make differences (I never made one) than this forum wasn't that like it is.

Remember: They organize meetings for everyone. :)

But thanks to the guy who delete my entry at once without
any comment or p.m.

THIS IS "SCENE" NOWADAYS.. ?
NO, This is CSDB and some stupids around..

As someone who isn't a scener, let me assure you that the scene and the "community" are entirely different things. Essentially, the difference is that the CCCC people tend to be boring, and like boring things like GEOS.
2007-04-10 07:07
CreaMD

I think such communities could stay here ins CSDB. But they should have their own entry (commodore club, community, or something like that) and they shouldn't be listed as demo or cracking groups.
2007-04-10 08:08
BAR.
Account closed

Dear A Life in Hell,

i swap since some times with CMN of CCCC.
He never send me GEOS stuff but pictures, covers,
he made a cover for scene world..

Give "lamers" a chance and they will join the scene.
Mhm or isn't he a scener now doing a cover for scene world..
:)

@all Now start thinking deep who is a scener or not..
What makes a scener or a group a scene group ?

This could be a very long discussion and i heard that
asking such questions made people sick and they lost interest to stay with us..

Once again, do you think only "REAL SCENERS" here ?
Don't think so... :)
But i don't care..

Tommorow possibly they could be some !

2007-04-10 08:32
Jon
Account closed

How often do you go to Cinci?

2007-04-10 08:45
BAR.
Account closed

Jon,

why should i go to Cinci, USA ?
Do you visit CCCC meetings in your land ?
2007-04-10 09:01
jailbird

Maybe I'm wrong here but, that CMN dude has a couple of scene related functions (and as Baracuda mentioned, he also made disk covers, graphics or sth like that). Consequently, he should have a place in the database. And if CMN considers CCCC as his "group", well, that should be also indicated somehow regardless if the other "members" are just a bunch of old C64 nostalgics who wank to Geos and organize meetings...
Well, just my 2 cents. I should drink my coffee now :)
2007-04-10 09:02
Twoflower

A scener is a person actively participating in (or aiming towards participating in) what we tend to call the scene. The scene is a pretty open structure in itself, but it seems to have some restrictions. First of all, there is a tradition of using handles, aliases ment for shrouding your identity, creating a myth and distancing it from the ordinary world out there. In the old days these handles were a pure necessity for the illegal side of the scene, to obscure their identity from softwarehouses and their legal actions.

Furthermore, the scene has very little connection to the commercial interests of the C-64 community, even if notable exceptions are known to have existed. The best example of this might be the people active on the Compunet, a forum which developed the demo and which spawned a lot of creating people making games. Ash+Dave, Ian+Mic, Reptilia Designs, Bob Stevenson and Dokk might be mentioned. But eventhough these individual persons might be seen as sceners, the companies they joined or built are not.

Third, people involved in the scene usually has an active focus on either the legal (demo) scene, the illegal (cracking) scene or both. Lately, we even got a kind of hangaround sceners who mostly mouth their opinions on webforums and IRC. These show an interest in participating in the above mentioned events, although are to lazy or busy bragging about themseves to participate.

As a scener, you usually have a role to fulfill, organizing yourselves into groups. Groups are the very fundement of the scene. A group is usually a tight-knit constellation of people with different functions. In my case, I am concidered a graphician (and in rare occations cracker and musician), but you can be a coder, musician, trader - any function that furthers the groups interest towards the legal or illegal scene.

To clarify my statement:

The "Cincinnati Commodore Computer Club" does not fit in to any of the above cathegories. They aren't a group, they doesn't contribute towards the demoscene nor the illegal side of the scene. The difference between CCCC and the Driven Staff is that the Driven Staff was using handles, making a magazine aimed towards the scene and reporting about it. And no - The Cincinnati Commodore Computer Club doesn't belong here, and will probably never. This is the Commodore SCENE Database. For a definition of the scene, read above.

... 36 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
MAT64
Paladin/G★P
macx
Sentinel/Excess/TREX
Dymo/G★P
Laurent