Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user juanjosescg ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Group id #1754 : Triton Technology
2008-01-04 23:56
TDJ

Group id #1754 : Triton Technology

So, j0x made the next comment regarding Real D.Y.S.P.:

"I'd say this wasn't released in 1987, but in (early) 1988. It was apparently made as a response to Triangle's d.y.s.p. demo (PhotonDYSP, released in December 1987), mentioning that Dosman had made Triton's d.y.s.p. "back in november 1987" and the scroll ends with "jokes are all (c) by the triton headquaters 1988!!"

At first my gut feeling told me he was wrong, but then I did some digging, and now I'm not so sure anymore.

First of all, the year that Triton T. was dissolved is set to 1987. I might even have done this myself, based on the fact that I really believed The Funeral, their last demo, to be from that year. However, checking the scrolltexts of that demo mentions a (c) 1988 ex-Triton T. Also, there are at least 2 other demos from 1988 (High Tech and Cosmic Copyparty).

So, although Dwangi mentions in the trivia that "Most of the members of Triton Technology formed Upfront in late 1987.", I now think that yes, 1988 is the year this group stopped their activities. And Real D.Y.S.P. was probably released that year as well, just like j0x stated.

But what really puzzled me is the "Most of the members" part of Dwangi's statement. The memberlists shows only 2 people being in both groups (Ray and Zoro). Does this mean that some people changed their handles? Or was Dwangi off again?

To me this group was one of the great from those days, so I hope somebody here can shine more light on this matter. I'll start by setting the dissolved day to 1988.

One more thing: I also noticed that somebody reset the release type of The Funeral to music collection. Ofcourse I have no idea who this is but please people, just because a part has several tunes in it that can be selected by pressing various keys, doesn't mean it's a music collection! Such parts were very common back then, mainly because most music was taken from games.

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-01-07 19:34
cba

Quote: Niels, can you fix the entries of Henrik, Claus & Hennig here?

No, only Perff can merge entries...

I've merged by hand , Groucho with QRT.
2008-01-08 15:37
pulped
Account closed

Hi folks, Henrik pointed me at this fun little trip down memory lane.

I've updated some of my pages with what little I can remember...

As for the missing demos, I don't think I ever had them. Henning might still do, I'm sure Henrik already asked.

At the end of our c64 career, we had tremendous production difficulties, primarily because we really really stressed the little beige fucker. Typically, Henning would've come up with some new technique on his c64, and we'd throw some music+graphics+(last second) text at it, only to discover that it basically only ran on Hennings c64, abusing some timings of his specific model.

I'm not even sure it was all due to the different production models of the c64, but maybe even down to the humidity at the plant or whatever. It was obscene the problems we had at parties where we had to make a finished demo that actually ran on some c64 we weren't allowed to use before the demonstration. That's at least some part of the story behind the two missing demos (plus possibly the lack of incentive to finish them after they hadn't won :-) )

As for why Triton "changed name" to Upfront. Around the time, the antipiracy folks in Denmark were getting pretty damn efficient, and we were happily cracking, trading AND leading a semi-public life in Triton. Clearly not the smartest. So we moved the demo stuff into a new group, chose fresh handles, and stole the name from a new local radio station (I'm sorry to say).

As for the cracking stuff, we didn't actually stop. We created a second group, Secret Society, using Claus' "gift" for alliterations (like Starlight Strikers and Triton Technology before it). I don't think we were active with SS for much more than a year or so, having one or two firsts in that time - getting the originals became a burden... I can see that the list attached to SS is certainly not complete (having difficulty recognizing the two games, so it may even be another SS), but I don't have access to any of my old floppies here.
2008-01-09 06:44
DRAX

Damn, it is cool to see some of the old danish elite here. Pupled are you in contact with any of the old Bones guys?
2008-01-09 08:05
Sander

Yeah, i enjoy the read aswell. Nice to get such an insight on the historic Upfront.

Typically, Henning would've come up with some new technique on his c64, and we'd throw some music+graphics+(last second) text at it, only to discover that it basically only ran on Hennings c64, abusing some timings of his specific model.

I'd love to see them 'fixed' by nowadays active coders as a sort of challenge/compo perhaps. Reading about 'new techniques' makes me feel we missed out on some good shit.
2008-01-09 10:48
pulped
Account closed

Not at all in contact with anyone else from back then, no.
2008-01-09 13:34
TDJ

Groucho, a warm welcome from me to this forum as well, always nice to have an oldtimer like you drop by.
2008-01-09 14:34
Graham
Account closed

"only to discover that it basically only ran on Hennings c64, abusing some timings of his specific model."

-> sounds like CIA 1 clock difference to me.
2008-01-18 09:24
Tech
Account closed

Something is wrong though because I was the one presenting Mixer at some party on sealand where the demos were shown and old tube tv. And mixer was the #1 in the Demo Comp. I think it might have been Nykoebing F, but I'm not sure, can't remember after which party we made a demo while waiting for a train.

I'll leave it at that, if I remember little bits and pieces here and there I'll make sure to fill you in.

One thing that bother me though - Einstein is not at the top of coder list. He pushed the limits relentlessly. I witnessed first hand the awesome things he came up with. Both Einstein and Zoro were always (and still is for all i know) bad asses behind the keys...

And for that they deserve and have my highest level of respect!

-Tech/Upfront
2008-01-18 09:33
chatGPZ

don't take those charts too serious, the voting is pretty broken =P
2008-01-18 09:39
Tech
Account closed

Quote: "only to discover that it basically only ran on Hennings c64, abusing some timings of his specific model."

-> sounds like CIA 1 clock difference to me.

[GRAHAM] regarding the clock comment [/GRAHAM]

Naahh it wasn't that!

Unclear if you ever saw his unique development facility.... it is best described as a highly unstable nuclear reaction.

Nothing remained from the original C64 enclosure, the motherboard thrown on top of his A500, which in turn had the keys on top...

He working on what was the original prototyping environment for his A500<->C64 Assembler, cables still hanging out everywhere and some hot coffee poured on top......

That was competition conditions for us, and although it was a tough look in the mirror sometimes, we had tons of joy, just from being "Upfront"ers, and I know that I wouldn't trade for anything!

-Tech/Upfront
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
anonym/padua
Guests online: 214
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)