Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Release id #34889 : Karate Kid
2010-08-15 10:44
STE'86

Release id #34889 : Karate Kid

I am objecting Strongly to the inclusion of this blatant rip off in this database.

I think u can guess why.

Steve

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-15 12:07
STE'86

so why exactly is this a "valid" scene release?

if i today took Veto's (for example) latest pic and replaced his name with mine and reuploaded it under my "released by", would that be a "valid" scene relase?

would u lot let that go?

would you fck.

Steve
2010-08-15 12:08
fade
Account closed

Yes we would, if it was under the header of 'fake demo' :)
2010-08-15 12:09
Sander

I understand the feeling - but i have to agree with the argument of documentation.
Some examples: Warlock (a retouched version..) and Lost Soul (utter lameness). There are loads of these.
Adding the right info would solve it imho.
Funny thing nowadays is that some of these gfx get deleted by the 'author' themselves - when other ppl find out. (mostly coming from the same circles nowadays - you know who you are :)
2010-08-15 12:18
chatGPZ

Quote:

if i today took Veto's (for example) latest pic and replaced his name with mine and reuploaded it under my "released by", would that be a "valid" scene relase?

would u lot let that go?

would you fck.

yes we would. we would also laugh at you and point fingers at you =)

Quote:
Funny thing nowadays is that some of these gfx get deleted by the 'author' themselves - when other ppl find out.

indeed, typically emberassing ripped and/or converted crap :o) it's not only pictures though, also demos and tunes that people try to remove from history. needless to say that we revert such actions.
2010-08-15 14:30
Zyron

What about f ex Aphrodite Demo 1?
2010-08-15 21:57
TPM

Back then it was quite cool if you could rip music and graphics from original games, change it, pack together and show the world how good you are with your Power cartridge. How many times the cars from Test Drive were ripped? Countless! You call it lame.. in the early days it was cool. Live with it, STE... that was part of the demoscene in '85 - 88 and that belongs to this database.
I know your feeling, but judge it with nowadays insights. It's crazy when you recall your 25 years old rights.. stop whining :) true, your rights will formally stay for 50 years, but no one cares and you'll win nothing when this entry will be deleted.
2010-08-15 22:31
JCB
Account closed

There's still a big difference with ripping and ripping off. We (Ste and myself) used to do demos in the the 80s with graphics from games be they loading screens, ingame graphics, sprites etc as well as using Ste's original graphics but we NEVER took the names off bitmaps and as far as I remember credited every source we used (even one of the Testdrive cars). Ste's stuff has been used in plenty of demos, sometimes altered (his Alien pic for example) but it's nothing but a compliment IF people give credit where it's due.

2010-08-16 03:18
chatGPZ

somehow the hillarious kimmel vs hubbard thing comes to mind :o)
2010-08-16 06:50
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

Quote: There's still a big difference with ripping and ripping off. We (Ste and myself) used to do demos in the the 80s with graphics from games be they loading screens, ingame graphics, sprites etc as well as using Ste's original graphics but we NEVER took the names off bitmaps and as far as I remember credited every source we used (even one of the Testdrive cars). Ste's stuff has been used in plenty of demos, sometimes altered (his Alien pic for example) but it's nothing but a compliment IF people give credit where it's due.

Agree, removing/changing signatures is a lame action and sure the most were done by lamers and not the real groups.
Even some of my tools, music-rips or lame crunchers were altered by removing logo or names, so what!?

Anyway I see no reason for deleting the entry. The stuff got spread that way and therefor it's a valid entry here.
Ofcourse, as already said, set the real credits and add some comments or trivia and links to the original picture...

btw, would be nice if you could set/add links in the entry to other entries/productions, some kind of "refers to" or so. Then you could link the fakes together with the original one... not sure the comments stay forever, hehe
just an idea...
2010-08-16 12:23
iAN CooG

Comments can be changed/deleted only by authors of the comment, while credits and all the rest of the infos can be changed by anyone if the entry is not locked. Admins can restore comments even if deleted by the authors, if it's really needed to restore some useful information. So there's no worry about loosing informations even if it's inside comments.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
iAN CooG/HVSC
Hagar/The Supply Team
Exile/Anubis
CreaMD/React
Sokrates