Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Regarding my picture infront of Vandalism News #73 and my thoughts about the C64 scene
2022-11-16 10:41
jailbird

Regarding my picture infront of Vandalism News #73 and my thoughts about the C64 scene

Since there's some "nocopy" circlejerking around the intro picture, let me clear a few things.

- It was made only for fun, solely for my own pleasure. I decided to make a "Compopic" spoof as I was bored on a weekend, found two pictures on the internet, glued them together in Photoshop, and used the picture as a reference for the pixelling. Yep, I have used the old "Hein-method" from Dutch Breeze, namely to have an 8x8 grid on the original on a spare monitor, and then base my work on that, as I didn't want to fuck around with the proportions, but just to start with pixelling, which is, to this day, a really relaxing and soothing activity for me. I didn't gave a fuck about the picture's authenticity as I never thought people will care too much about it. If I wanted to hide something, I'd use reference images which couldn't be very easily found with a simple Google Images search. I have made plenty of "no copy" pictures with provided workstages in my 30 years on the scene anyway.

- It was *never* meant to be a C64 release, not even for the "just for fun" Compopic Competition, as I couldn't care less about it, or the C64 scene in general. I have simply uploaded it about 3 years ago to Facebook only, just for some of my friends to see, have a laugh about it, and that was all.

- For some reason, Jazzcat asked for the picture for the intro, and I said well why not, I don't really care what you do with. Pity I forgot to tell him not to credit me.

Unfortunately, some people started sharing it all around Facebook, and it got traction. And then others started treating it as if it was released on a compo or something, accusing me of cheating or whatever, I couldn't even follow their hectic line of thoughts. I didn't participated on a party competition since 2014 as I was finished with them once and for all. Whatever I did on the C64 after that was only for fun and for wasting time, maybe about trying out new techniques, but never about impressing anyone, as I have grown out about that mindset a long time ago. Regrettably, it seems that some people still haven't.

Fun is long lost from the C64 scene, and what's happening here just sinks that fact into me even more. People are regarding it as some kind of a dick measuring competition, and try to find every little reason to take a shit on an another person. It's not just childish, but really really sad too.

Once again, I am disappointed about this community and even more discouraged to be an active part of it ever again.

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2022-11-16 14:46
Oswald

Quote: 3 years ago, when I've uploaded the image on Facebook, I have already stated that it's not an original. Never wanted to hide it, the references are super easy to find on Google.

99%, no, 100% of the graphicians here copied something in their active scene life, even Electric, so I don't really understand why did you singled me out, as I have never seen you posting the originals of other graphicians when their copied graphics appeared somewhere.

I'd understand all of this if I have competed with it somewhere, but you could go back in my scene history and count how many copies I competed with on parties. There were only a few of them in the beginning of my "scene career", but heck, I think you might even seen me painting my compo picture live on the first day of Arok 2007 - out of my bare mind, without any references.

I really really regretted that I've donated this picture for a scene release. It was on a much better place sitting on my Facebook feed for three years, bothering no one at all.

A handful of times I have done this already, as I said its not personal just to show. i dont really give a fuck if something was copied because I am not a graphician. It doesnt bothers anyone, its a great pic.
2022-11-16 15:11
chatGPZ

I haven't even seen the Pic, but i like the silly drama. Thumbs up!
2022-11-16 15:28
MagerValp

Using photo references for art has been a thing for what, a hundred years or so now? I've never understood why some sceners get so upset about it. There's still a world of difference between someone with no skill (like me) doing a bad wire job and a proper artist who masters composition, color theory, and technical execution.
2022-11-16 16:22
Oswald

I posted the "original" pic on FB without comments, its not me upset, but JB read into it something that wasnt there. I'm sorry Arnold, hope to meet at some party and relive those laughs :)
2022-11-16 17:05
jailbird

Quote: I posted the "original" pic on FB without comments, its not me upset, but JB read into it something that wasnt there. I'm sorry Arnold, hope to meet at some party and relive those laughs :)

Eh, you weren't the only one who was calling me out about the picture being a copy, scanned, wired or whatever.
2022-11-16 17:40
Shine

He-Man Junior ...

... approves this thread!
2022-11-16 17:59
Carrion

@JB regarding the pic in question I'd say:
It was about time! ;)
Technically, copy or not I like it. Classic JB style - please do more this time around.
2022-11-16 18:48
Smasher

Quote:
(...)People are regarding it as some kind of a dick measuring competition

asking for a friend: when's the deadline of this compo? :)
2022-11-16 19:15
hedning

Quote: Eh, you weren't the only one who was calling me out about the picture being a copy, scanned, wired or whatever.

Mostly as a response to people sayin' "Wow. Did you do this on free hand?". I said: No, he didn't, but it's a darn good job. And I stand by that. God damn good shit.
2022-11-16 19:38
Krill

It's the result that counts, imho.

Sure you can handpixel everything, but you can also write a novel on slates using chisel and hammer.

From what i keep hearing from Amiga and PC etc. scenes, they have left the craft/artisanry discussion long behind, and finding a fresh original motif is the actual difficult part they thrive for to achieve art.

When you have that, all tools are fair game.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Seytan/Reflex
Brataccas/HF
Guests online: 103
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)