Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Regarding my picture infront of Vandalism News #73 and my thoughts about the C64 scene
2022-11-16 10:41
jailbird

Regarding my picture infront of Vandalism News #73 and my thoughts about the C64 scene

Since there's some "nocopy" circlejerking around the intro picture, let me clear a few things.

- It was made only for fun, solely for my own pleasure. I decided to make a "Compopic" spoof as I was bored on a weekend, found two pictures on the internet, glued them together in Photoshop, and used the picture as a reference for the pixelling. Yep, I have used the old "Hein-method" from Dutch Breeze, namely to have an 8x8 grid on the original on a spare monitor, and then base my work on that, as I didn't want to fuck around with the proportions, but just to start with pixelling, which is, to this day, a really relaxing and soothing activity for me. I didn't gave a fuck about the picture's authenticity as I never thought people will care too much about it. If I wanted to hide something, I'd use reference images which couldn't be very easily found with a simple Google Images search. I have made plenty of "no copy" pictures with provided workstages in my 30 years on the scene anyway.

- It was *never* meant to be a C64 release, not even for the "just for fun" Compopic Competition, as I couldn't care less about it, or the C64 scene in general. I have simply uploaded it about 3 years ago to Facebook only, just for some of my friends to see, have a laugh about it, and that was all.

- For some reason, Jazzcat asked for the picture for the intro, and I said well why not, I don't really care what you do with. Pity I forgot to tell him not to credit me.

Unfortunately, some people started sharing it all around Facebook, and it got traction. And then others started treating it as if it was released on a compo or something, accusing me of cheating or whatever, I couldn't even follow their hectic line of thoughts. I didn't participated on a party competition since 2014 as I was finished with them once and for all. Whatever I did on the C64 after that was only for fun and for wasting time, maybe about trying out new techniques, but never about impressing anyone, as I have grown out about that mindset a long time ago. Regrettably, it seems that some people still haven't.

Fun is long lost from the C64 scene, and what's happening here just sinks that fact into me even more. People are regarding it as some kind of a dick measuring competition, and try to find every little reason to take a shit on an another person. It's not just childish, but really really sad too.

Once again, I am disappointed about this community and even more discouraged to be an active part of it ever again.
2022-11-16 10:56
Krill

Did you say "Facebook"? =)
2022-11-16 10:57
Hein

Did you say "Hein-method"? Heh, anyway, don't let them spoil your fun. We're too old for that shit.
2022-11-16 11:02
Krill

Indeed. :)

And for demos and diskmags, anything should go for graphics.
(Ideas about compopics are still very controversial, it seems.)

Problem seems to be that somebody took the pic out of context, and then some Facebook lamers did their Greater-Internet-Fuckwad-thing.
2022-11-16 11:39
hedning

Parrot wins again. Probably he made the scene's most influential pic of all time.
2022-11-16 12:53
Raistlin

Hey,

Apologies for anything I said on FB that caused offence… in my defence, it wasn’t that #nocopy was a problem… I was more backing up what others had said, that some of the comments on the pic were implying that it was a hand drawn original etc etc…

We’ve had such ourselves in G*P - and even had those in competitions (at least one was disqualified for such)… eg. Facet’s Lobo-Kraken in X Marks the Spot, Jon Egg’s Thanos (it won the Gubbdata gfx compo initially I believe - and was later disqualified.. Jon, like myself, didn’t know about the whole #nocopy movement at the time).

Your pic wasn’t in a compo, of course, and was simply used at the front of VN. Nothing wrong with that at all and, actually, a great way to create such a huge pic in short time (I appreciate that there was still a decent amount of work to do on it other than whatever was done with the source photos).

Apologies again - and if you can bear with us grumpy souls, it’d be awesome to see you return to the scene.
2022-11-16 13:27
Oswald

we're glad you come here to tell us how you dont give a fuck about us, and what childis dickfucks we are shitting oneachother. Atleast you are unlike us and spread the power of love :)
2022-11-16 13:28
Dano

i for myself never bothered how arnold did manage to produce those two plasma images for stacked in such short time. it's great work and atwork he delivered - and that's what counts for me.

as for compopictures and big time wins.. wiring a picture, changing some pixels here and there sucks. repainting/repixeling an existing thing 1:1 in c64 specs is hard for me.

in my perfect world the origninal images and all what comes after that is craftswork of the artist itself.

but where to draw the line. if there's a car you can't really invent the wheel - sure. but even there it's possible to make complex changes.

long story short. we are here for funsies and everything. nobody wins anything on anyone for drama and shit.

even longer story even short: i'm a huge jailbird fan, and it would suck if there were NO jailbird artworks coming never more.

stick with us, arnold <3
2022-11-16 14:02
jailbird

Quoting Oswald
we're glad you come here to tell us how you dont give a fuck about us, and what childis dickfucks we are shitting oneachother. Atleast you are unlike us and spread the power of love :)

Re-read what have I wrote, as it seems that you couldn't interpret it correctly.

And even if I don't care about being active on the scene right now, that doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion about it, and share my thoughts when some of you obviously don't realize it that you are acting like dickheads. A little assistance could benefit you in recognizing this, hence my post.

You are one of the main reasons I've opened this topic. Could you be more hypocritical than this, when you surely know how many pictures you gave me, or to Leon, or to whoever, to retouch it for your demos? I could count on one hand how many original artwork you have in your releases.

And then look at Edge of Disgrace, where every single graphics of mine is a "no copy", and almost all of my single releases since EoD are originals, provided with workstages.

Then I make something which wasn't even intended as a scene release, and you find the way to berate me.

Just fuck off, please.
2022-11-16 14:15
Oswald

Quote: Quoting Oswald

Re-read what have I wrote, as it seems that you couldn't interpret it correctly.

And even if I don't care about being active on the scene right now, that doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion about it, and share my thoughts when some of you obviously don't realize it that you are acting like dickheads. A little assistance could benefit you in recognizing this, hence my post.

You are one of the main reasons I've opened this topic. Could you be more hypocritical than this, when you surely know how many pictures you gave me, or to Leon, or to whoever, to retouch it for your demos? I could count on one hand how many original artwork you have in your releases.

And then look at Edge of Disgrace, where every single graphics of mine is a "no copy", and almost all of my single releases since EoD are originals, provided with workstages.

Then I make something which wasn't even intended as a scene release, and you find the way to berate me.

Just fuck off, please.

I just posted that pic there to show its not an original, had no intention to drag you down personally. To me you are a great gfxian, and a nice chap on parties with wich we always shared beers and lot of laughs. Being with you on one of the X's was a blast :)
2022-11-16 14:22
Shine

Quoting jailbird
Ode to Parrot's Compopic

Coming back to Compopic
makes my life just better
I smile and laugh, enjoy myself
even in bad weather.

Thank you, Parrot, for your image!
The samurai is fine.
And the tiger: he is lovely.
This is grand design!

The pixelling is on high level
I'd like to paint like you.
The tiger's paw is so amazing,
and his face is too.

Your Compopic is legendary,
I check it every day.
I will vote with highest points,
whatever others say.

<3

... 22 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 100
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)