Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user megasoftargentina ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Hires
2006-07-25 09:02
ptoing

Hires

Some time ago I started dabbling in standard Hires mode and i find it quite enjoyable. Also people seem to like the stuff i put up on CSDB in hires mode.

This makes me wonder why not more graphicians try to use it. Imo it is pretty easy to get a hang of and quite enjoyable.

Opinions?

... 126 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-02 14:52
Hein

Quote: I think that is -if it's true, it's an interesting thought- because the scene is based around demoparties and releases which are in constant competition, where therefore you try to dazzle the crowd with not so much SKILL IN PIXELLING, but drawing photorealistic or close-to, dragons, boobs and assorted. eye-candy. Some people said my picture eve looked like it had artifacts of corruption, and I think that's absolutely great! Wait 'till you see the new hires pic I'm doing, it'll probably make eyes bleed. But if a picture that looked corrupted came up on the screen guess how many votes I'd get? The demoscene voters don't seem ready to be challenged by the art in compos, but the artists should not bow to the demand of 'easy' (regardless of how skilled) pictures! They should train their audience to understand aesthetic, not only boobs.

Right now, if let's say a picture by Gustav Klimt was shown on the screen at a demoparty he'd probably rank very low, and a picture by Boris, or even worse, a PHOTOGRAPH of boobs would win :P

Gustav Klimt is 'boxed' by Art Nouveau/Art Deco. Deco stands for decorative thus eyecandy. Some people I know consider this kitch. (Not me though, I think it's very skilled with a bit of artistic value)
2006-08-02 15:03
Hate Bush

most pix don't fall in a strict 'photorealistic eyecandy' category, neither into a 'broken down avantgarde' category. most of the pix i've seen are somewhere in between. it's probably the greatest achievement to perfectly mix the two - skills and freshness.
but i'm no gfx-man (i mean, completely), therefore i can be hopelessly wrong.
2006-08-02 15:03
Sander

Quote: As i see it there are two ablilities mixed we are talking about. One is to draw excelent pictures, the other is to be able to work with atributes restrictions. Both are rare. Both are something very valuable. People who has both of them are even more rare, and i'm even more impressed when i see pictures that both look nice, and were technicaly challenging to be drawn.

Imho what Helm and Ptoing mean: it's about seeing to beauty of the restictions and cultivating them. Resulting in aesthetics that seem authentic for the machine.

But that's probably too academic for most of us.

Kitsch? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch
(makes my 'Obstacles' kitsch aswell! :)
2006-08-02 15:34
enthusi

Hm, the demo-scene would not be what it is if there were no restrictions (I think). For me thats all what it is about - live and be challenged by them. I doubt people would have fun coding Javascript-demos.
As for pixeling I think there is something new. I too prefer(ed) photorealism on c64 - maybe since that seemed so impossible in the beginning. I even awed at that one-color red-black hires woman on that c64 demo-disk.
Today photorealism is almost boring again. Since the new formats allow for it - not for free but it seems doable these days. And I have great respect for those creating these wonders. Like that batgirl. Would have knocked by of my feet in the 90s and does so today :) But in a way because its so not c64-like :) Same with demo-effects (sometimes). The less 1 mhz it looks, the cooler. But imho only recently things changed sometimes. More artistic gfx - DCMP is a stunning example of that and quite a few others as well. Or more gfx showing off pure pixel-skill. Ptoing seems a perfect example of a mixture of those two. Or again, achieving 'realism' by whatever means possible. Personally I feel challenged by Hires that does not look Hires. Or by mere multicolor that looks like fli or ifli or whatever (mermaid pops into my head there).
Demowise that would maybe be the style-demos that seem to split the audience. Somewhere inbetweens 'thats the new kick needed' or 'lame amiga/pc-demo alikes'.
I love it all ;) seriously. Im ok with 1fps raytracer that look like shit but are cool since they're on c64. Also I love smooth colors/music/style even though its not (just) code-skills in there.
Im even fine with 100% converted pictures if they make use of their possibilities. With that I may stand alone :)
Only with music Im different. I cant value mere skill there. If I dont like it, Im not good enough to judge its skill.
Hehe, my thoughts on this must be very interessting for you all. Ok, break is over.
In short - how cool it is that the variety increases in all areas!
Or as Mr.Spock put it once:
"The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity."
2006-08-02 16:01
Helm
Account closed

Quote: Gustav Klimt is 'boxed' by Art Nouveau/Art Deco. Deco stands for decorative thus eyecandy. Some people I know consider this kitch. (Not me though, I think it's very skilled with a bit of artistic value)

Decorative doesn't mean eye-candy. It means decorative. This can go either way though, because there's Art Deco, and there's Interior Decoration. The artistic intention weilds the signifier. If you look at art by mister Klimt you will see that the repetitive patterns he uses, of red and gold, have an extremely strong aesthetic effect. They (amongst other things, I am no art critic) flatten planes and diffuse the volume of what is otherwise the most multifaceted object in his works: the female form. This juxtaposition between flat patterned clothing and extremely rendered flesh is imperative in the appreciation of Klimt's work. Is this

http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/klimt/klimt35.jpg

or this

http://www.el-harmani.se/Gustav%20Klimt.JPG

concept close to what eye-candy could mean for most people?

Eye-candy is crowd-pleasing art, fan service. Things that you immediately understand, and enjoy. Like drawings of nude girls in suggestive poses, barbarians with huge swords, cyborgs or dragons spitting fire. All these things are fine. The artists that make these pictures, some of them have influenced me and I love them. Some of them are from the demoscene. Most of them copy their art from non-digital artists, but that's a whoooole different discussion. I wish these artists would flex their rendering methods and their years of experience pushing pixels, in drawing something that is infused with more meaning than gloss. You know, as a break between the cybog boobs and the dragons. Just a few times. But I can't make anyone do anything.
2006-08-02 16:13
ptoing

Quote: Imho what Helm and Ptoing mean: it's about seeing to beauty of the restictions and cultivating them. Resulting in aesthetics that seem authentic for the machine.

But that's probably too academic for most of us.

Kitsch? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch
(makes my 'Obstacles' kitsch aswell! :)

Bingo about the first part. That is what we would call Computer Aesthetic. An own form of aesthetic that can only come due to the limitations of (mostly) low end computers.
2006-08-02 18:34
Hein

But that would make every c64 gfx fall into the category of Computer Aesthetic. Because the cultivation starts whenever it's digitized (handmade or scanned).
2006-08-02 18:54
Helm
Account closed

Quote: But that would make every c64 gfx fall into the category of Computer Aesthetic. Because the cultivation starts whenever it's digitized (handmade or scanned).

This is as much correct as believing all hand-made art shares the same aesthetic properties because it's hand-made. Boris and Klimt, sitting on a tree...

Please consider the concept a bit more deeply.
2006-08-02 19:15
Hein

Actually I do believe that yes. It's just a matter of perception. A monkey doing a messy doodle is just as aesthetic as an intellectual describing the truth of the world in one beautifull poetic sentence.
2006-08-02 19:19
Helm
Account closed

Well that is an interesting opinion.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Flex/Artline Designs
Martin Piper
eryngi
Guests online: 122
Top Demos